PDA

View Full Version : Ron Partridge RIP

Andrew O'Neill
26-Jun-2015, 16:41
Just heard today that Ron Partridge (Imogen Cunningham's son, Ansel Adams' first assistant) passed away.

Bill_1856
26-Jun-2015, 16:46
RIP. One of the "good guys."

Merg Ross
26-Jun-2015, 20:53
I am saddened to hear. Bay Area photography has lost yet another living link to the years of its infancy. Ron was a participant, crazy in a fun way, and with a truly "quizzical eye".

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Merg

tgtaylor
26-Jun-2015, 21:33
I am also saddened to hear this. Back in 2008 I had the honor and pleasure to meet Ron at a reception in his honor at the Hayward Historical Society. Here is some snaps I took of him at the reception: http://www.meetup.com/SF-Bay-Area-Photographers-Explorers/photos/310993/#3418823

He was a good photographer with a good heart and will be missed.

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jun-2015, 06:27
What a shame. My thoughts and prayers to the family

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2015, 07:34
What a shame. My thoughts and prayers to the family What a loss.

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Jun-2015, 15:57
I wish I could have met him, I think it would have been great fun! The stories he could have told, that would be something to be a part of. We should all be as fortunate to spend out lives doing the things we truly love - way to go Ron!

Bill_1856
27-Jun-2015, 18:31
He is featured in several interviews on the PBS series "American Masters: Dorothea Lange" which is currently being replayed on several stations lately -- worth hunting up and watching.

Drew Wiley
29-Jun-2015, 08:38
I see his son-in-law almost every day, who lives in the same house. Things have been touch and go for awhile, but it's remarkable how long he was able to stay active printing. Another living link in West Coast photo history gone. I second that Dorothea Lange documentary. It's excellent. The two families were actually related through marriage.

tgtaylor
29-Jun-2015, 10:43
As he and his daughters liked to say, he was “the last man standing.” I recall asking him how much he was paid back in those days. He replied that Dorothea paid him one dollar a week and when he went to work for Ansel, Ansel paid him a dollar a day.

IIRC Ron wasn't initially given the credit for the cover photo on the catalog accompanying the Ansel Adams at 100 exhibition at SFMOMA in 2001 http://www.sfmoma.org/exhib_events/exhibitions/16

Thomas