PDA

View Full Version : first time at a show in years, and could use some advice

Liquid Artist
26-Jun-2015, 01:05
I've just been invited to display my work here (http://art-walk.ca/) and I'm really hoping on some advice and tips.

To be honest, it's the worst time possible for any show, since I don't have access to a dark room so it looks like I'm stuck with digital prints.
Plus the company I work for isn't giving me even a moment to breath. And yet they don't feel they have to pay overtime, so I'm on an imposible budget. (3 more months of torture and I'm never coming back to work here)

So can tips, like how to display my prints so they will withstand some foul weather on a budget?

Oh, if anyone reading this happens to know of or have a LF darkroom in Central Alberta I could borrow or rent it would be wonderful.
I can't afford much at this time, however I can supply all my own materials and work something out with you.

Thanks
Stu

AtlantaTerry
26-Jun-2015, 04:00
What do you mean the company does not pay for overtime work? Are there no labor laws to protect people in Canada?

Liquid Artist
26-Jun-2015, 05:19
Yes but just say they have 30 angry truckers however they also have 300 waiting for a job.
Plus they are in the middle of switching ownership so they don't care about their reputation.
They are kinda getting the shaft themselves, some of my co-workers have had to wait 20+ hours to get loaded. Then need to run the product over Western Canada in a hurry.
The company says we're only allowed to work 14 hours straight. Which is true, gut if they get out of line they loose their spot.

invisibleflash
26-Jun-2015, 05:37
OP...don't go into the show with negative feelings. Inkjet prints can equal or better a silver gelatin print.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/a-silver-gelatin-print-versus-an-inkjet-print/

Actually they can far surpass the silver gelatin print with problem negs.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/an-example-of-what-2-12-hours-of-lightroom-can-do-for-a-photograph/

Peter Lewin
26-Jun-2015, 09:23
Can you expand on the "withstand foul weather" comment? Is the show an outdoor display? I think some details will result in more useful suggestions from those with experience.

RSalles
26-Jun-2015, 09:42
OP...don't go into the show with negative feelings. Inkjet prints can equal or better a silver gelatin print.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/a-silver-gelatin-print-versus-an-inkjet-print/

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/an-example-of-what-2-12-hours-of-lightroom-can-do-for-a-photograph/

Better in what? Cost, resolution "average quality"? I do both, and what I have to say is both process are different, nor better then worst,

Cheers,

Renato

jp
26-Jun-2015, 11:17
I wouldn't suggest dragging your work HR problems online. Just either do the work with quiet discretion, or do something about the injustice. You gain nothing and can only lose complaining about that here. At least put it in the lounge where the employers (or future employers) won't find it. You go to work somewhere else, they'll search the Internet with a fine tooth comb for information about you if they are diligent.

Most people don't mind Inkjet prints.

Drew Wiley
26-Jun-2015, 11:25
I have my personal preferences, exactly the opposite of a particular opinion already expressed. But what is far more important is a person's skill with their chosen medium. You can't learn any of this overnight. In fact, it can take quite a bit of effort just to find someone else to do specialized printing for you, whom you have
developed a business and aesthetic relationship with, and efficiently communicate with. But nothing is going to hold up well outdoors unless it's laminated ($$$, potentially ugly), or thoroughly framed ($$$$$$), or perhaps under a tent-booth in mild weather.

Drew Bedo
29-Jun-2015, 04:53
Yes but just say they have 30 angry truckers however they also have 300 waiting for a job.
Plus they are in the middle of switching ownership so they don't care about their reputation.
They are kinda getting the shaft themselves, some of my co-workers have had to wait 20+ hours to get loaded. Then need to run the product over Western Canada in a hurry.
The company says we're only allowed to work 14 hours straight. Which is true, gut if they get out of line they loose their spot.

This is probably a topic for another website , but: sounds like a situation just made for the Teamsters Union to step in and organize the operation. I am surprised some as I had thought Canada was a strongly unionized economy.

But back to the topic of the thread: You have an opertunity to show your work . . .do what you can to present your images the public.

It may be that the only approach possible, within your time frame and budget, is digital scanning/printing. Another possibility may be an alternative process such as albumin printing your negatives as contact prints. Not much of a arkroom needed for that although as in any process, there will be a learning curev.

Please: Let us know what you do and post a few images.

DonJ
29-Jun-2015, 08:16
Can you expand on the "withstand foul weather" comment? Is the show an outdoor display? I think some details will result in more useful suggestions from those with experience.

The link in the OP is to "art-walk.ca", which is an open-air show in Edmonton. The link was a bit hard to spot.

Jim Jones
29-Jun-2015, 12:29
I hang framed prints on a rack that can be covered by sheet plastic in case of rain. The sheet plastic is rolled on the top of the rack, and can be unfurled in a moment. Matted prints are in zip top bags and displayed in a tub that can be covered in a hurry.

AtlantaTerry
29-Jun-2015, 17:11
I hang framed prints on a rack that can be covered by sheet plastic in case of rain. The sheet plastic is rolled on the top of the rack, and can be unfurled in a moment. Matted prints are in zip top bags and displayed in a tub that can be covered in a hurry.

May I ask what sells better: framed or matted? And, in general, how are your sales these days, what are people buying?

Jim Jones
29-Jun-2015, 18:27
I sell a few more matted than framed prints, all in 16x20. The frames are all aluminum section, so matted prints can be swapped into or out of them at a buyer's request. I also offer 8.5x11 unmounted prints at a much lower price. Subject matter includes local landmarks, some travel photos, and some fine art subjects, both in color and B&W.

adelorenzo
29-Jun-2015, 22:21
Stu, you are lucky in that you are not far from Resolve Photo (http://resolvephoto.ca/) in Calgary. I would highly recommend giving Costas a call about getting your prints done. If it's within your budget he does an amazing job. I had to do a 30x40 inkjet print (from 645 negative) and it turned out really well.

In terms of outdoor display you could get prints mounted on something like dibond (aluminum). Although to be honest I'd be more included to just mount or frame them normally and have clear plastic bags if to cover them if the weather gets bad. Buy pre-cut mats in standard sizes (for example 11x14 matted to 8x10) to sell prints to people.

Liquid Artist
14-Jul-2015, 23:19
Thanks for all the replies.

I actually ended up with help from 3 friends including my girlfriend.

One of them owns several scanners, including 2 or 3 drum scanners plus a photo printer.

He did an Amazing job in a very short period of time printing 10 photos onto Canvas.

I do still prefer the look of my own images, done in the dark.
However all my images blew everyone else's away.

All the other photographers there looked at my work and we're amazed at what they saw. There may be some conversions amongst them.

I did sell 3 prints and traded one more.

My boss was even sort of told that I may not be around next year by one of my co-workers, and he's suddenly being better.

So all went very well.

Here are a few samples of what I displayed.

This is the only color photo, shot on Porta 160 in 4x5 (sold the moment I took it out of the box)

Broken Fences (traded)

Abandoned I.
If you look through the drivers window it looks like there's a driver back there.

Abandoned II
My girlfriend discovered what looks like a face in the front working on the motor.

Because of the human likenesses in the abandoned series I'm thinking of changing the name.

Anyways thank you once again for all the advice.

Liquid Artist
14-Jul-2015, 23:33
Sorry it won't let me change Abandoned II.
Here's the real one.

Plus I also displayed this photo, I posted months ago. The Politician (Manure Spreader), framed in an old window frame.
Although it was priced a little higher than anyone had brought ($800) it got amazing reviews.

Peter Lewin
20-Jul-2015, 11:55
Your links (in post #16) aren't working, but I'm happy for you that the show went so well!

Andrew O'Neill
22-Jul-2015, 23:10
Are there no labor laws to protect people in Canada?

We don't have labor laws. We have labour laws. :cool:

Liquid Artist
6-Sep-2015, 06:50
Less than 3 months after this post and I've been invited to another art exhibition.

This time things are different. It's in the small British Columbia, Canada city of Grand Forks.

There is more notice.
I have several friends and family members living within a 3 hour drive.

Plus at this time they figure I will be among the top artists.
With a little luck ot may lead into an exhibit in a much larger gallery that they sister with.

I'm not too worried about time off work, since I had a very good reason to quit that job 3 weeks ago, when a forest fire was burning 5km or 3 miles from my mom's house. It actually burned 30 houses, so there was no way my former boss was tying me down.

Which in turn has given me the time to get my darkroom functional. Take note, I did not say finished.

I have also made arrangements to work for my iceroad boss when I want and where I want, taking the time off I need for art events.

Let's just say that I am in a much better position, and much happier.

This art show will have a Pilgrimage theme, so my work fits in quite well.

I am doing some things different.
As in I am doing up a little write up of the meaning of every piece.
I will be getting some of my existing work re-framed.
I have started collection antique frames, and I am sizing the photos to suit.
Plus I am asking my girlfriend to take on a more active roll. She always gave me grief when I gave someone a discount on my work even if it was for PR reasons.
So I am leaving her 100% in charge of sales.

Other than being a much smaller event the main difference is that this event is indoors.

Although I am not expecting any major issues this time I always welcome tips and tricks.

Jim Noel
6-Sep-2015, 07:31

nsfw

Obviously you have never seen top quality silver prints. There is nothing that can be done digitally making a print which did not originate in the darkroom other than some of those gimmicky filters which are so overused.

Liquid Artist
6-Sep-2015, 09:34
Jim,
While I agree with you that Silver prints beat out inkjet prints.
I think that Iluvmyviewcam was just stating his honest opinion.

My personal opinion tells me that I prefer the looks of both Salted and Carbon prints when done properly.
Both of which I haven't learned yet.
I plan on adding Carbon printing to my resume soon, and hope I can use striking or amazing in the same line.

I do have to say though my friend Mario did an amazing job scanning and printing the negatives.