PDA

View Full Version : My Intro....

Kirks518
25-Jun-2015, 14:37
Some of you may recognize me from APUG, and for that I apologize in advance. :p

I was fortunate enough to be handed a Calumet 4x5 with a Caltar II N 150mm, both in beautiful condition, by my local mom & pop film lab. They are retiring, and (fortunately) sold the film processing business to a local art gallery, so I still have access to local dip & dunk.

They called me up last Thursday or Friday, asking if I wanted some old cameras, to which I of course said yes to. It was a bunch of Brownies and other plastic c. 1950's low-end consumer cameras, but there was the Calumet. Having never done any LF, I sort of panicked, but didn't let it show.

In any case, I already had film holders, and someone over at APUG had once sent me a 1/2 box of old 4x5 film, so I was ready to go. I've only run a few test shots, but so far all is going well. I'm hoping to get some real use with the Calumet this weekend.

If anyone cares, I (now) shoot 35mm, 6x6, 6x4.5, 6x7, and now 4x5. I have too many formats, and not enough time. I also develop all my B&W, but scan and digitize, as I will never have a darkroom (talk to the Mrs. for me, would ya?).

I'm a glutton for knowledge, and my questions may occasionally cause some eye-rolling, but I am well-versed in searching (forums and the net) before asking my questions, so please bear with me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning LF, and will hopefully post something worthwhile someday. :)

Kirk

Sirius Glass
25-Jun-2015, 15:11
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum

Alan Gales
25-Jun-2015, 20:56
Welcome to the forum, Kirk!

You are not the only APUG member here. I also belong to APUG and so does Sirius and plenty of others.

Tim Meisburger
26-Jun-2015, 00:32
Ya, I think we all are, but I don't spend much time there. I never really understood why there are so many photographers posting on a forum about a flat-faced dog breed.

Anyway, welcome!

Kirks518
26-Jun-2015, 09:18
I recognize tons of names here, so that's good. I still like APUG, except that you are deemed the devil if you ask anything remotely associated with digital. I don;'t have a wet darkroom, so there are tons of questions I have about scanning, especially now that I have to try and scan 4x5.

Peter Lewin
26-Jun-2015, 09:28
First, another welcome from one of us who appears on both forums! On the chance you haven't stumbled over this scanning commentary, Ken Lee who posts on this forum is a scanning guru (he doesn't call himself that, but I think many of us who view his posts do...) and here is a link to the scanning section of his excellent website: http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanning.php

Mark Sawyer
26-Jun-2015, 10:17
If anyone cares, I (now) shoot 35mm, 6x6, 6x4.5, 6x7, and now 4x5. I have too many formats, and not enough time...

Just remember:

"The quality of a man's soul is dictated by the square inches of his photographic format." -Socrates

Or maybe it was Shakespeare... :rolleyes:

Alan Gales
26-Jun-2015, 10:50
I recognize tons of names here, so that's good. I still like APUG, except that you are deemed the devil if you ask anything remotely associated with digital. I don;'t have a wet darkroom, so there are tons of questions I have about scanning, especially now that I have to try and scan 4x5.

I have a friend who lived for many years in Tulsa, OK. I've been there and it's a nice city. Tulsa is in the bible belt and a dry town or at least it used to be. If you wanted alcohol you had to drive outside of town to a liquor store. Many residents fixed up their basements to drink in private. My buddy (who isn't actually much of a drinker) would have a cold beer while washing his truck in the driveway on a hot summers day. People would talk.

I think APUG is a lot like Tulsa. There are more people doing it than you think. They are just private about it. ;)

Luis-F-S
26-Jun-2015, 11:48
....why there are so many photographers posting on a forum about a flat-faced dog breed.

They shed a lot also! Welcome. L

Andrew O'Neill
26-Jun-2015, 20:48
Welcome, Kirk! I too am also an apugger.

Sirius Glass
27-Jun-2015, 19:32
Ya, I think we all are, but I don't spend much time there. I never really understood why there are so many photographers posting on a forum about a flat-faced dog breed.

Anyway, welcome!

They do a lot of snortin' too.