PDA

View Full Version : Imacon 343

gmed
22-Jun-2015, 10:15
Would anyone hesitate to buy an Imacon 343 for scanning 4x5 using 6x12 holders? Scan x 2 and stitch.

A larger imacon is very expensive. Also this way I can scan at much higher resolution.

andy
22-Jun-2015, 11:30
I'm not sure how wide the mouth is on the 343, but I have a feeling that won't work without cutting you negs. I'd just keep an eye out for a precision II if you really want an imacon. Even the nicer ones show up for a good deal every now and again.

gmed
22-Jun-2015, 11:39
I know you can scan the 4x5 in 2 passes. It barely makes it.

andy
22-Jun-2015, 11:40
then if it's a good deal, and you're willing to put up with the hassle, do it!

koh303
22-Jun-2015, 13:50
You will be spending more then double the time scanning, and about triple the time sticching, even if your scans are identical (almost never), as there is a field curvature in the drum, which causes some level of skew between one corner to another. In my opinion, it is not worth the effort by a long shot no matter who good the deal is. If you get a good deal on a 343, you should just flip it and use the extra to buy a full zise imacon, PII/III or 646 or newer...

Firewire 343's are usually more expensive the older SCSI PII's.

sanking
22-Jun-2015, 18:49
Would anyone hesitate to buy an Imacon 343 for scanning 4x5 using 6x12 holders? Scan x 2 and stitch.

A larger imacon is very expensive. Also this way I can scan at much higher resolution.

This will work and if you only need to do a few scans it is feasible. However, if you scan a lot the work flow will be tedious and time consuming compared to scanning all of the 4X5 at once.

Having done this myself at one point in the past, my recommendation would be to consider another scanner for your 4X5 work. Stitching only involves two scans, but the total time you will spend will be much greater than with a dedicated 4X5 scanner.

Sandy

gmed
22-Jun-2015, 19:47
I do have the 750 but u need something more for gallery prints. I may just have to wait for a bigger imacon.