PDA

View Full Version : A long ReallyRightStuff rail compatibility question

axs810
17-Jun-2015, 21:48
Awhile ago I purchased this Wehman 8x10 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115076-FS-Wehman-8x10-Camera-Extras&highlight=wehman) and it came with a long ReallyRightStuff rail attached to the bottom. Now I haven't used it but I was wondering if there is something that would work nicely with the Gitzo PL5 tripod head I have. I love the stability and ease of use of the Gitzo PL5 but it's always a hassle trying to get the camera mounted onto the head.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to look for a quick release plate for this long rail? The rail measures almost 1.5 inch wide by 7.5 inches. If I add some sort of quick release for the rail would that affect the stability at all?

Thank you in advance,
Eric

Ari
18-Jun-2015, 06:44
For a suitable clamp, try RRS, the maker of the plate.
You might get a bit of camera wobble using a clamp placed atop another head, especially when that clamp is placed on top of cork.
Given what you have, I think the best bet, stability-wise, would be to use the Wehman directly on top of the PL5, even though it's a pain to mount.

RHITMrB
18-Jun-2015, 13:45
The RRS stuff is Arca-Swiss compatible, so any Arca-Swiss compatible clamp will work. I have an RRS rail on the bottom of my Chamonix 4x5. My tripod head is a Markins Q3T.

Alternatively, there's this adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1062516-REG/desmond_dgza_1_gitzo_to_arca_plate.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Peter De Smidt
18-Jun-2015, 14:27
This was originally suggested to me by John at the old F-stops-here. Cut the metal at the back of the slot on the tripod head out with a hacksaw. It's a small piece of metal, and doing so doesn't make any different to the stability of the head. Tilt the head slightly forward. Put the tripod screw on the camera, just enough so all of the threads disappear into the camera. Slide the tripod screw right onto the head and tighten. It's fast, secure, and cheap, although it will probably lower the value of your head. I did it on an old series V head from about 1970, which didn't cost very much in any case, and it works really well. If your camera has two holes for camera screws, use two screws and your camera will never spin on the head.

axs810
18-Jun-2015, 14:32
Ari- Yeah I realize it'll probably be more stable just putting the camera directly onto the PL5 head, but I just want to see what else is out there mainly because I want to start some guerrilla shooting and would need to set up and take down quickly.

Peter I'm having a difficult time trying to understand what you are explaining. Would you happen to have any photos to illustrate what you are talking about?

Ari
18-Jun-2015, 15:20
Peter, I think, means to remove the back of the PL5, just enough to expose the slot so that you can slide the screw in and out of it; sort of a quick-release hack.
If the PL5 isn't too dear, you could also remove the cork and then attach a RRS (or any Arca-compatible clamp) to the PL5, and then use the long plate attached to the camera.
The benefit of that is having metal-on-metal contact, i.e., no vibration or wobbling of the camera when attached this way.

axs810
18-Jun-2015, 15:30
Ari - I might just end up buying another PL5 head to remove the cork and attach a RRS clamp to it. The problem I'm having is finding a compatible clamp that's fairly long enough to grab most of the plate. A lot of the one I am seeing online are fairly short

edit/ The longest clamp I've found so far is the FLM QRP-70

Ari
18-Jun-2015, 16:13
edit/ The longest clamp I've found so far is the FLM QRP-70

I use the same QRP-70 clamp for my 8x10, but if you're looking for something longer, RRS makes an 80mm-long clamp: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Lever-Release-Clamps/B2-LLR-II-Lever-release-clamp.html
Also, check for Kirk extra-long clamps, but they are mostly (if not all) screw-in types, which may interfere with the PL5's surface.
The FLM clamp is not Arca-compatible, though it will accept a variety of Arca-type plates.

Alan Gales
19-Jun-2015, 06:42
One of those came with my used Wehman. I own a Ries tripod and head so I took the RRS rail off the camera. I too had trouble mounting my camera to my head because the base of the camera is large and it makes it hard to see what you are doing (I couldn't find the hole).

I found that if I tip the tripod head to a vertical or almost vertical position I can see what I am doing and it is fast and easy to mount. I hold the camera by the strap and line up the hole with the tripod screw. I know your head is different than mine but maybe this could help.

Of course by doing this you can't level your head first but I just level the camera with a torpedo level after it's mounted.

Ari
19-Jun-2015, 07:27
One advantage of some lever-operated clamps is that you don't have to have a third eye that can see around corners; the camera is dropped in from the top, not wriggled in from the side.
This feature is quite advantageous when dealing with bulkier cameras, such as a 4x5 or an 8x10.