PDA

View Full Version : B&W Print Retouching

tgtaylor
15-Jun-2015, 11:59
A fast flying small bird flew into the scene just as I opened the shutter. He appears as a small black streak about 2mm in length surrounded by a soft blur from his wings. Is there a way to “spot” him out of the print without reprinting? The print is perfect otherwise.

Thomas

Kirk Gittings
15-Jun-2015, 12:02
What kind of print?

tgtaylor
15-Jun-2015, 12:17
A gold and platinum toned salt print.

Thomas

Erik Larsen
15-Jun-2015, 13:15
You might try scraping the offending area off with a scalpel and then retouching. I've done this before and it works but never anything that big.

tgtaylor
15-Jun-2015, 14:29
Thanks Eric. Instead I mixed up some Farmer's Reducer and the spot was eliminated. Instead of rinsing and re-fixing the entire print, I let water from the tap drip over the spot for a minute or two, dipped a brush into solution B (Hypo) and applied it to the area for a minute or so, and then let the tap water drip on it for another couple of minutes. I went a tad too far with the ferrie and a little white spot is visible upon close inspection but I am confident that I can spot that out with Marshall's. I'm hoping that there is no color changes in the area treated. None are visible at the moment but I'l have to wait until it is completely dry for a final determination.

Thomas

Erik Larsen
15-Jun-2015, 14:53
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought the ferri would have had an effect on the platinum and gold toned print or I would have mentioned it along with iodide. I was under the impression it only worked on silver?

tgtaylor
15-Jun-2015, 15:01
There's a great write-up on using it in my copy of Lootens and in the Darkroom Cookbook. I have a bottle of Kodak Crocein Scarlett that I found locally a while back and plan to try eliminating the bird in the negative for future printing with that negative.

Thomas

sanking
15-Jun-2015, 15:21
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought the ferri would have had an effect on the platinum and gold toned print or I would have mentioned it along with iodide. I was under the impression it only worked on silver?

The ferrycyanide reduced the silver remaining in the print. Even though the print was toned with gold and platinum a fairly high percentage of silver could still be in the print, not converted.

Some years ago Dusan Stulik at the Getty tested some of my platinum toned kallitypes. Even with very strong toning formulas, and lots of time, about the highest replacement was less than 90%. If you are not trying to tone to completion the replacement percentage would be much lower, probably 50% or less.

Sandy

Erik Larsen
15-Jun-2015, 16:17
That makes sense Sandy. I couldn't wrap my head around how the platinum was reduced.

tgtaylor
17-Jun-2015, 21:08
Scroll down to post #147 for a follow-up:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?116358-The-Salt-Print-Thread&p=1252748#post1252748

Thomas