PDA

View Full Version : Tripod head compatability.

Old_Dick
13-Jun-2015, 15:37
Hi Folks,

Sorry for a beginners question. Are heads, in this case a Bogen 3047 that is on a very heave wood tripod (Zone VI) setup compatible with other tripods? I like the Bogen, but would like to stick it on a lighter and waterproof tripod, lets say a Slik. Is there a site that will spell it out for me? Cost is part of the equation. My plan is to use the tripod only under wet conditions and where it would be impracticable for this 67 year old with wicked psoriasis arthritis to carry more then a mile?

A year ago, I didn't even know this was a question.

Thanks
Dick

axs810
13-Jun-2015, 15:53
Yes you can put a Bogen 3047 head on another tripod but depending on how lightweight of a tripod you plan to switch to the tripod head might cause some unsteadiness. At least that's been my experience taking the Bogen 3057 tripod head from a Bogen 3051 tripod and putting it on a lightweight tripod. If you take the Bogen 3047 off your tripod and feel the weight you'll understand.

Tripods and tripod heads are interchangable as long as the mounting screws match up..which is normally 3/8"-16

Bill_1856
13-Jun-2015, 15:56
Almost all tripod heads can be used with any tripod of any brand. The only catch is to make sure that the screw holding the two together match in size.

John Olsen
13-Jun-2015, 18:09
I've got the opposite question, needing to discard a Bogen 3047 head that's worn out. It would be for my Bogen 3010 tripod. The comparable (?) Manfrotto 229 costs 5 times more than my 3047 - did I wait too long, or what? This is just a gripe, not really a contribution to the thread.

axs810
13-Jun-2015, 18:12
Its cheaper to buy another Bogen 3047 on ebay than to buy it new

HMG
14-Jun-2015, 06:43
I've got the opposite question, needing to discard a Bogen 3047 head that's worn out. It would be for my Bogen 3010 tripod. The comparable (?) Manfrotto 229 costs 5 times more than my 3047 - did I wait too long, or what? This is just a gripe, not really a contribution to the thread.

Out of curiosity, what wore out? The QR cam? Are parts not available?

FYI, there is one in the classifieds on this forum.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Jun-2015, 08:03

Some parts (but not all) are available here (http://bogentripodparts.com/parts/head3047-03.htm), here (http://bogentripodparts.com/parts/head3047-02.htm) and here (http://bogentripodparts.com/parts/head3047-01.htm), (Versions 3, 2, 1 respectively) but we don't know which part wore out on John's. I like the 3047 enough to rebuild one.

Oren Grad
14-Jun-2015, 10:05
Tripods and tripod heads are interchangable as long as the mounting screws match up..which is normally 3/8"-16

Almost all tripod heads can be used with any tripod of any brand. The only catch is to make sure that the screw holding the two together match in size.

This is a necessary condition, but it's not the whole story. Depending on the size, shape and finish of the respective mating surfaces, some head/legset combinations can be awkward and insecure, even if the screw and socket match.

John Olsen
14-Jun-2015, 13:30
Each rotation movement has three set screws. The tips of the set screws go into matching conical depressions, but on mine the conical depressions have become ovals. The individual parts would cost more than a new assembly. Thanks for the tip about checking the classified, too.