PDA

View Full Version : Polar Opposites - pairs



moltogordo
12-Jun-2015, 14:30
I operate at polar opposites photographically. I'm both a LF and subminiature freak. About 80% of my photography is now done (since my LF Renaissance) with either a 4x5 Linhof or an Olympus Pen FT half-frame. The other 20% is done with whatever camera from my collection I happen to fancy at the moment. :rolleyes:

I'm posting here a shot from my recent LF photos, and a sub-miniature shot as well. I invite you to do the same, one each from your largest and smallest formats.

Large format: Barn on Elias Road, Vanderhoof BC. Linhof S45, Shanghai 4x5 film, 180mm Nikkor-W f5.6, 1/60th at f11, developed for 12 minutes in Pyrocat HD. June 2/15. Digital photograph of negative against a light box, shot with a Canon DSLR and 90mm Tamron f2.8 macro. Shanghai film in Pyrocat HD is sensational, and it's become my "go-to" large format film. I used it first out of curiosity, but took to it quickly in 4x5 with either Pyro or HC110 1:63. I don't like it so much in 120, although it's okay, where I stick with FP4. Seems to suit LF better.

http://www.pbase.com/moltogordo/image/160319310.jpg



Sub-miniature: The Mill at Vanderhoof, BC. Olympus Pen FT, 35mm Zeiss Flecktogon f2.8 lens via adapter, 1/125 at f 8, Kodak Recording 2475 film in D76 for 10 minutes. As the film was very old, I exposed it at ASA 200. Scanned 5x7 print.

http://www.pbase.com/moltogordo/image/157363919.jpg

Thanks for looking in and joining in! :)

Bob Salomon
12-Jun-2015, 14:47
As the former Minox distributor in the USA I should point out that half frame is much, much larger then subminiature. The Minox shot 8x11mm and the cameras like the Rollei 16 and the Minolta 16 were not that much larger. So to cameras like the Rollei A10 and the Pentax 110 cameras. Compared to these your Pen half frame is almost large format!

moltogordo
12-Jun-2015, 14:59
True and right you are. I consider half-frame to be the largest of the subminiatures, though. I have a Minolta Auto-110 and have just got a reel for it, and some B&W film albeit ASA 100. I also have a Minox C, but it is not in operating condition.

However, the half-frame with Recording 2457 produces grainier images than the 110 with ASA 100 film. Foma 400 in Rodinal with constant agitation, the same. But I'm excited to try ASA 400 film in my Yashica Otoron, if I can get some. Do you know of a source outside of paying criminal charges on Ebay, Bob? I do have some ASA 100 Minox in the freezer.

Bob Salomon
12-Jun-2015, 16:21
L
True and right you are. I consider half-frame to be the largest of the subminiatures, though. I have a Minolta Auto-110 and have just got a reel for it, and some B&W film albeit ASA 100. I also have a Minox C, but it is not in operating condition.

However, the half-frame with Recording 2457 produces grainier images than the 110 with ASA 100 film. Foma 400 in Rodinal with constant agitation, the same. But I'm excited to try ASA 400 film in my Yashica Otoron, if I can get some. Do you know of a source outside of paying criminal charges on Ebay, Bob? I do have some ASA 100 Minox in the freezer.
Sorry, no. We were the distributor for Minox up until Leica bought the factory and that was a long time ago. Same with Rollei, we were the distributor until 1996 when Samsung took it all over.

You got me curious so I checked the Minox USA WEB SITE AND FOUND THAT film is available here

http://automat.bluemooncamera.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_61

moltogordo
12-Jun-2015, 16:46
That is terrific news for Minox fans! Even an ASA 400 film in B&W, albeit T-Grain. Should still be great! Thanks!:D

Jac@stafford.net
12-Jun-2015, 17:24
That is terrific news for Minox fans! Even an ASA 400 film in B&W, albeit T-Grain. Should still be great! Thanks!:D

Next someone will ask for an 8x10 back for Minox panoramas.
.

jnanian
12-Jun-2015, 18:26
That is terrific news for Minox fans! Even an ASA 400 film in B&W, albeit T-Grain. Should still be great! Thanks!:D

they will develop and enlarge/print minox film for you too, at blue moon, they are great folks !

---

110 image
8x10

moltogordo
13-Jun-2015, 01:51
Two very atmospheric shots, jnanian. And very different. Thanks for posting!

jnanian
13-Jun-2015, 09:25
hi moltogordo
thanks !
i have the same problem as you, i don't like being pinned
down to one format ...

Bill Burk
13-Jun-2015, 19:02
I recently went through an exercise where I printed pairs of photographs taken on different formats. Here is a pair from that series:

Dinkey Creek, in 4x5 and Minox.


http://beefalobill.com/images/Dinkey_45_PS.jpg


http://beefalobill.com/images/Dinkey_Minox_PS.jpg

Gigibertcha
17-Jun-2015, 07:55
Hello,
Is it the right place?

135593

Blad 500 C/M, Planar 2,8/80