PDA

View Full Version : PhotoShop Woes

bob carnie
3-Jun-2015, 11:55
I purchased a mac pro loaded with Cs3 years back. my operating system was 10.6.8

so working on a job and opened an image and lo and behold a re activation warning pops up. telling me to re activate my PS.. five days notice and the program would stop.

two phone numbers were given for re activation.. Both did not work.. going through the website trying to re activate was next to useless.. basically a complete run around.

five days expired and no PS... so go I think ok lets buy from Creative Cloud .. guess what my operating system is on level too old.

So now I have to send the mac in and have it re fitted with a higher operating system- this is something I was going to do anyway to give the mac an overhaul.

or buy a new Mac Pro- which I also was planning to do..

What pisses me off is the way this happened- I purchased Cs3 creative suite and now it wont work... Also I could try and find the original package and re install but one I do not know
where that is , and who is to say the re install would work... and even then why am I being forced to do this.

Rant over -

Bob

Jac@stafford.net
3-Jun-2015, 12:11
So now I have to send the mac in and have it re fitted with a higher operating system- this is something I was going to do anyway to give the mac an overhaul.

You should not have to upgrade the operating system, regardless
you should be able to upgrade to OS X 10.10.3 from 10.6.8 online, for free.
Does this work for you? http://www.apple.com/osx/

What pisses me off is the way this happened- I purchased Cs3 creative suite and now it wont work... Also I could try and find the original package and re install but one I do not know where that is , and who is to say the re install would work... and even then why am I being forced to do this.

Reinstalling it won't help at all. Sorry for that.

bob carnie
3-Jun-2015, 12:38
I will look into this it may work for me...thanks.

sanking
3-Jun-2015, 13:20
Bob,

You may need to remove the Flexnet folder. I think many people have had the same problem as you.

See discussions on this at.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2382232?start=60&tstart=0

Sandy

Michael Mutmansky
3-Jun-2015, 13:21

Bob, you may not be able to update to the current OS, depending on how old the machine is, so check with that before you spend any money on the Adobe products you want.

If you are running a 2007 or earlier Mac Pro (32-bit machines; Mac Pro 1,1 or Mac Pro 2,1), you will only be able to upgrade to 10.7.5 before you run out of options with respect to the OS.

Since some of the new Adobe products require 10.8 or higher to run, you will have to get either an older physical copy of the software (in which case, you may have trouble getting the proper codes), or update the computer.

Note that currently, I think PS CC will still run on 10.7x, but LightRoom has moved up, and I suspect all the rest will follow soon.

---Michael

bob carnie
3-Jun-2015, 14:16
I need to upgrade to at least 10.8 which I am going to do.. this really bites.. I can see this happening to a lot of users and its a real PIA.

I also have a newer Imac 26 inch with current Lightroom and CS6 installed at home, I paid full value for these, can't wait for the pop up message telling me it no longer is viable.

Nathan Potter
3-Jun-2015, 18:49
I need to upgrade to at least 10.8 which I am going to do.. this really bites.. I can see this happening to a lot of users and its a real PIA.

I also have a newer Imac 26 inch with current Lightroom and CS6 installed at home, I paid full value for these, can't wait for the pop up message telling me it no longer is viable.

My sympathies Bob, I have just gone through the same situation. I've been using CS3 on a Mac G5 with Leopard 10.5.8. Both Safari and CS3 don't function properly any more. The old system really works well enough for me but there is little freeware or even priceyware that will function on a Leopard machine. Essentially I'm screwed.

But I've been a bit lucky - my son works for Apple (logic design) so I told him he needed a new machine (the trash can version) so he could give me his old MacPro desktop. His old machine was a 2011 MacPro with Yosemite installed with CS5 and with 24 GB of RAM. Thus I've lucked out for a few more years.

But you know just the task of moving a couple of Terabytes of images from the old machine to the younger machine is a plain nuisance not to mention trying to reinstall the various software packages on a new machine - some aren't even supported anymore like my beloved, easy to use Appleworks.

And none of it do I have time to hassle with. Well, end of my rant. The Xenon processors with 24 GB of Ram does sing though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

bob carnie
4-Jun-2015, 07:59
I think this may be my biggest CON for digital up till now... I just have to keep a supply of bulbs handy for my enlargers .. but now I have a whole crop of small details to consider 5 years down the road. Nothing is forever
anymore.

Its going to cost me about 67 dollars per month to have two complete workstations covered with the complete CREATIVE CLOUD set.. I want a third station down the road and I probably will have to buy a single package on top to facilitate..

What is important is that each competer BOX will have to meet the minimum ongoing parameters to access the Cloud which will mean me up grading two boxes and buying one new system.

I am kind of reminded of the Jobo Alt systems that funny enough baffed out the lift arms around 36000 lifts and required a new arm which for the Alts was no easy purchase and fix.

My sympathies Bob, I have just gone through the same situation. I've been using CS3 on a Mac G5 with Leopard 10.5.8. Both Safari and CS3 don't function properly any more. The old system really works well enough for me but there is little freeware or even priceyware that will function on a Leopard machine. Essentially I'm screwed.

But I've been a bit lucky - my son works for Apple (logic design) so I told him he needed a new machine (the trash can version) so he could give me his old MacPro desktop. His old machine was a 2011 MacPro with Yosemite installed with CS5 and with 24 GB of RAM. Thus I've lucked out for a few more years.

But you know just the task of moving a couple of Terabytes of images from the old machine to the younger machine is a plain nuisance not to mention trying to reinstall the various software packages on a new machine - some aren't even supported anymore like my beloved, easy to use Appleworks.

And none of it do I have time to hassle with. Well, end of my rant. The Xenon processors with 24 GB of Ram does sing though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Corran
4-Jun-2015, 08:26
Re-activation? What? I have never even heard of such a thing. Just curious but CS3 is old as dirt, how/why did it suddenly deactivate?? Is this some kind of Mac thing? Just looked it up and CS3 was announced over 8 years ago!

Seriously though running a printmaking shop doing any kind of work digitally, this is just a standard operating cost (new computers/software). It's a tax write-off anyway. If you have issues with the cost overpriced Apple hardware doesn't help.

Lenny Eiger
4-Jun-2015, 09:35
Its going to cost me about 67 dollars per month to have two complete workstations covered with the complete CREATIVE CLOUD set.. I want a third station down the road and I probably will have to buy a single package on top to facilitate..

What is important is that each competer BOX will have to meet the minimum ongoing parameters to access the Cloud which will mean me up grading two boxes and buying one new system.

Welcome to today's world. I wouldn't do the whole Creative Cloud thing unless you need it... I pay $10 a month...

bob carnie
4-Jun-2015, 09:38
Need it.

Welcome to today's world. I wouldn't do the whole Creative Cloud thing unless you need it... I pay $10 a month...

SergeyT
4-Jun-2015, 17:54
I moved my CS3 to a new PC a year ago.
Had to call Adobe. They provided me with the required activation data.

Tin Can
4-Jun-2015, 17:58
If you are using all of CC you are making movies and will need a hot shot box.

I upgraded 1 PC and 1 Mac last year. Bought 1 new hot shot box. Maybe good for 5 years, maybe not.

jnantz
4-Jun-2015, 21:27
hi bob
I have a new to me iMac and an olde to me G5
the G5 is topped off at 10.6.8 because it has a PowerPC chip, not the Intel chip
I transfer everything between the cable and work on it on cs2 then drop it back on the iMac ..
awkward, but I do the want to deal with the cloud yet.
the cloud might not ( not sure ) work with ppc macs I am guessing if you call a current Adobe #
you might find a pal to help you with the activation key for cs3 .. maybe you have reinstall a backup from
the old system first, if you have one.

good luck

bob carnie
5-Jun-2015, 04:56
I found it impossible to find the right course of action contacting them.

I moved my CS3 to a new PC a year ago.
Had to call Adobe. They provided me with the required activation data.

bob carnie
5-Jun-2015, 04:57
What is a hot shot box?.. though may not be important as I am not making movies... short 5 min videos yes.

If you are using all of CC you are making movies and will need a hot shot box.

I upgraded 1 PC and 1 Mac last year. Bought 1 new hot shot box. Maybe good for 5 years, maybe not.

bob carnie
5-Jun-2015, 05:01
I have decided to join the BORG - I do not see a easy way not to comply and assimilate...I need the systems I work with to be working each day without
any hiccups.. I am not very good with the hard wiring of computers.. I know how to manipulate the software to my needs but I can easily get stopped trying
to fix these sort of things.

I frankly would have been happy with CS3 for my current needs.

hi bob
I have a new to me iMac and an olde to me G5
the G5 is topped off at 10.6.8 because it has a PowerPC chip, not the Intel chip
I transfer everything between the cable and work on it on cs2 then drop it back on the iMac ..
awkward, but I do the want to deal with the cloud yet.
the cloud might not ( not sure ) work with ppc macs I am guessing if you call a current Adobe #
you might find a pal to help you with the activation key for cs3 .. maybe you have reinstall a backup from
the old system first, if you have one.

good luck

sanking
5-Jun-2015, 06:11
I have decided to join the BORG - I do not see a easy way not to comply and assimilate...I need the systems I work with to be working each day without
any hiccups.. I am not very good with the hard wiring of computers.. I know how to manipulate the software to my needs but I can easily get stopped trying
to fix these sort of things.

I frankly would have been happy with CS3 for my current needs.

Bob,

You probably need CC for your business.

But you could probably get CS3 to work. Several people I know have licensing problems with CS3 and managed to fit it.Did you try the solution I suggested, at https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/error-licensing-stopped-mac-os.html This is a known problem, and has a known fix.

If not, give it a try. Sorry I am not there to walk you through it, but just pull up your big boy underwear and give it a try.

Sandy

djdister
5-Jun-2015, 06:18
I purchased a mac pro loaded with Cs3 years back.

I would have been suspicious about the legitimacy of the CS3 license when buying a computer with expensive licensed software loaded on it. It could have been a bootleg version of CS3, or the original owner of the CS3 license could have installed and activated it on another computer after selling the one you got.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Jun-2015, 07:31
I would have been suspicious about the legitimacy of the CS3 license when buying a computer with expensive licensed software loaded on it. It could have been a bootleg version of CS3, or the original owner of the CS3 license could have installed and activated it on another computer after selling the one you got.

Excellent point.

I am a bit concerned. I have Photoshop CS5 Version 12.1 x 32, code name White Rabbit (http://www.digoliardi.net/photoshop-white-rabbit.jpg). It is part of the educational suite I bought when I was employed at the university. Supposedly all versions are the same and the only difference is one sentence in the EULA stating that the license cannot be resold or given away. It had better not stop working!

fishbulb
5-Jun-2015, 07:50
You guys should look up how to stop older Adobe products from "phoning home" and checking with their activation servers. It's easy to do by editing your computer's hosts file and putting a few entries in there - for pre-Creative Cloud versions anyway (up to CS6). Just search for "adobe host file edits" or something similar.

That said Creative Cloud is pretty great, I can't imagine going back to earlier versions that lack the content-aware algorithm.

AtlantaTerry
5-Jun-2015, 08:01
I purchased a mac pro loaded with Cs3 years back. my operating system was 10.6.8

I do not believe that is "legal". Software is typically licensed to a particular individual and therefore can not be transferred.

BTW, one can still purchase full or upgrade versions of all Adobe software to install on your computer. That way you will not have to be connected to the web to use it.

You can buy a either a full copy or an upgrade of CS6 or CS6 Extended.

$699: CS6 - full
$199: CS6 - upgrade
$999: CS6 Extended - full
$399: CS6 Extended - upgrade

Note: these are downloads, not a DVD in a box.

Go to the Adobe website here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

see where it says: Photoshop CS6 or CS6 Extended
look to the right of the one you want
see where it says Buy?
click on Buy
select Full or Upgrade
select Windows or Mac
select English or French or Spanish
pay
download
install

If you have the original serial number of the Photoshop that was on the computer, it might be possible to update it as above.

Tin Can
5-Jun-2015, 08:58
What is a hot shot box?.. though may not be important as I am not making movies... short 5 min videos yes.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse, I mean a recent full power computer, with 32 GB ram, SSD main drive, and modern monitor, which can be done for well under $2K or just buy a 5K iMac base (https://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/features/) for $2K and upgrade it with OWC parts. (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1600DDR3S32S/)

But you can make short movies many ways. Adobe is pushing even little guys like us into full $50 CC, but you can still buy this for less and do a lot with it. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1077543&gclid=CIXu8efz-MUCFY8vgQodHaAAdA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

SergeiR
5-Jun-2015, 10:31
That said Creative Cloud is pretty great, I can't imagine going back to earlier versions that lack the content-aware algorithm.

That was there two versions before CC

SergeiR
5-Jun-2015, 10:33
BTW, one can still purchase full or upgrade versions of all Adobe software to install on your computer. That way you will not have to be connected to the web to use it.

You can use CC version without web too, it only actually need it like once a month to verify subscription..

Greg Miller
5-Jun-2015, 12:22
I do not believe that is "legal". Software is typically licensed to a particular individual and therefore can not be transferred.

You can buy a either a full copy or an upgrade of CS6 or CS6 Extended.

$699: CS6 - full
$199: CS6 - upgrade
$999: CS6 Extended - full
$399: CS6 Extended - upgrade

Note: these are downloads, not a DVD in a box.

Go to the Adobe website here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

see where it says: Photoshop CS6 or CS6 Extended
look to the right of the one you want
see where it says Buy?
click on Buy
select Full or Upgrade
select Windows or Mac
select English or French or Spanish
pay
download
install

If you have the original serial number of the Photoshop that was on the computer, it might be possible to update it as above.

This really isn't true for most software. It isn't true for Photoshop specifically. Here are the rules from Adobe. But the reality is if you have possession of the the license key, you are not going to have a problem. Witnessed by the fact of every upgrade of PS simply requires entry of the license key of a prior valid version. They don't ask for your name pr proof of purchase. I have called them numerous times when moving from one computer to another and they have never asked for anything other than a license key.

License transfer policy

If you sell or give your Adobe software to an individual or business, you can transfer the license accordingly. Transferring the license allows the new owner to register the software in their name.

Important: Educational versions of Adobe-branded products are not eligible for a transfer of license. You can, however, transfer educational versions of Macromedia-branded products to a new owner.

If you transfer a license for a product suite, then the license applies to the entire suite of products. Individual products within a product suite are not eligible for a transfer of license.
The transfer of a license includes all versions of that product. If you sell or donate your registered copy of an Adobe product license, then you transfer your rights to all versions of that license as well.
Support contracts that are attached to a license do not transfer to the new licensee. Support contracts are legally nontransferable as specified in the terms and conditions of the contract.
Except in Germany, Adobe does not permit transfers for OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions of software.
To the top
Requirements to transfer a license

Both the transferor of the license and the recipient must complete a Transfer of License form.
The product serial number must be registered in the Adobe profile of the transferor to transfer the license.
You must qualify under the Transfer of License policy.
To the top
License transfer process

Contact us to obtain a case number.

Note: Be sure to get a case number first to avoid delays processing your Transfer of License form.

Both the transferor (current owner) and the recipient (new owner) must each complete a Transfer of License form. Both forms must be returned to Adobe before the license can be transferred.

Right-click the form link below and save the Transfer of License form on your computer. Open the form in Adobe Reader or Acrobat and follow the instructions on the form and complete all fields.

* Transfer of License Form.pdf
Write your case number or customer number or both on the form.
If you are transferring a Macromedia-branded education license, see Macromedia branded products.
Scan the completed form and save to your computer.

Return the completed Transfer of License form to Adobe:

Go to www.adobe.com/go/supportportal/.
Type in your Adobe ID and Password and then click Sign in.
Click your case number.
Upload the scanned form.
After Adobe receives the completed Transfer of License form from both parties, Adobe registers the software to the new owner. Registration ensures that Adobe recognizes the new owner as the legal licensee who can receive customer service and support.

Once both parties have submitted a Transfer of License form, allow three to four weeks for your license transfer request to be processed.

bob carnie
5-Jun-2015, 12:29
Just to clarify we bought the Creative Suite CS3 when we purchased the new mac pro - it was not a used system or software.

Tin Can
5-Jun-2015, 12:47
Well, Adobe 'lost' all older registrations some time ago.

I have been upgrading PS since 4.0 which is not CS4 but a very old version.

Impossible to find all my Adobie registration #'s from 17 years ago...both from Adobe or my files....

Greg Miller
5-Jun-2015, 12:49
You don't need all those older license keys. Just a recent one if you are running an upgrade. Or the current one if you are installing new.

Tin Can
5-Jun-2015, 12:54
You don't need all those older license keys. Just a recent one if you are running an upgrade. Or the current one if you are installing new.

I have many upgrades since CS2, it all became a confusing blur...

I just gave up and went CC and never looked back.

How much time do any of us have left...to keep track of all that BS.

That said, I use CC constantly all day.

Greg Miller
5-Jun-2015, 13:04
I have many upgrades since CS2, it all became a confusing blur...

I just gave up and went CC and never looked back.

How much time do any of us have left...to keep track of all that BS.

That said, I use CC constantly all day.

What is there to keep track of. I just keep the box of the previous and current version of PS (in the same place I keep boxes for all the sftware i have purchased).

Tin Can
5-Jun-2015, 13:08
What is there to keep track of. I just keep the box of the previous and current version of PS (in the same place I keep boxes for all the sftware i have purchased).

Some people have a simpler lifestyle.

I admire organization, but I don't do it.

My goal is to be monk sitting in an empty space, I have 1000 years to get there... :)

Greg Miller
5-Jun-2015, 13:36
Some people have a simpler lifestyle.

I admire organization, but I don't do it.

My goal is to be monk sitting in an empty space, I have 1000 years to get there... :)

I have a simple life style too. Its called a cardboard box. I install software. I toss the software into the box. If I need to re-install, I dig through the box.

bob carnie
5-Jun-2015, 15:36
Dear Mr King

there is a saying up here some thing like go f.. y... elf.
My underwear will stay firmly planted where it is thank you very much
I hope you and the misses are well...

regards
Mr Carnie

Bob,

You probably need CC for your business.

But you could probably get CS3 to work. Several people I know have licensing problems with CS3 and managed to fit it.Did you try the solution I suggested, at https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/error-licensing-stopped-mac-os.html This is a known problem, and has a known fix.

If not, give it a try. Sorry I am not there to walk you through it, but just pull up your big boy underwear and give it a try.

Sandy

Jac@stafford.net
5-Jun-2015, 15:49
I am with Bob Carnie on this issue. While I worked in ITS, high-tech and R&D for decades there is a valid place for user/owner expectations. In this case Adobe blew it. Sure, I can delete Flexnet, modify hosts file, all that but to expect a customer, an artist, a person who has a realistic expectation for the software he uses every day to do that stuff is silly.

Just my X0 bits.

analoguey
5-Jun-2015, 16:26
I'm not very familiar with the Apple World, but for Windows , there exist different Software that look into your system and list all the license keys you'd need.
I would think the Apple systems would also have a 3rd party software to do that?

Jac@stafford.net
5-Jun-2015, 16:36
I'm not very familiar with the Apple World, but for Windows , there exist different Software that look into your system and list all the license keys you'd need.
I would think the Apple systems would also have a 3rd party software to do that?

Sure, what you are referring to is the registry editor. Apple has somethings similar but it does no good to the casual user to get into them. Adobe encodes license codes and you will be a hero to the world if you could decrypt them, or even know where they are. Good luck with that.

The OP is screwed through no fault of his own. His software should NEVER ask for activation. Adobe is at fault. IMHO!

Greg Miller
5-Jun-2015, 17:00
Sure, what you are referring to is the registry editor. Apple has somethings similar but it does no good to the casual user to get into them. Adobe encodes license codes and you will be a hero to the world if you could decrypt them, or even know where they are. Good luck with that.

The OP is screwed through no fault of his own. His software should NEVER ask for activation. Adobe is at fault. IMHO!

No - he's not talking about a registry editor. There are several vendors that provide software that will scan a PC and return all the license keys. That's not an Adobe encryption thing - all software vendors encrypt the license key to prevent pirating. If people didn't pirate software, there would be no reason to encrypt license keys.

It's a known bug with CS3. It isn't happening with other versions. Any software with more than 3 lines of code has bugs. Then its up to the vendor to prioritize for which one get fixed an when. I'm guessing most people would vote for fixing feature bugs that impact all users over a license bug that impacts a few users every 8 years. Just for comparison, Microsoft fixes feature bugs for 5 years form launch date. CS3 is well past that. I'm no Adobe apologist. I don't like the rental software paradigm, where I have to pay the rest of my life in order to edit my photos. It makes sense for other transaction based software where you need to execute a transaction and then that transaction is done forever. Photos are never done. But in this case its hard for me to demonize Adobe. I feel bad for Bob. I know it sucks for him. But at the same time people in business need to plan and budget to keep their technology up to date. For most businesses that means upgrading hardware every 3 to 5 years. Its just a cost of doing business. If you want to get upset about a siftware bug, then you need to get upset at every software maker in business today. They all have bugs that impact their clients in a negative way all the time.

Preston
5-Jun-2015, 17:01
There's a free program called Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html)that may show the product key, but it is Windoze only.

Take a look Here (http://formac.informer.com/belarc-advisor) for Mac alternatives.

I've used Belarc in the past for finding product keys. It's also handy for other looking at other info about your machine.

--P