PDA

View Full Version : Do you blog?

bigdog
29-May-2015, 07:44
Do you blog?

A lot of photographers and artists have blogs. I started one about a year ago to promote an exhibition (last October) of analog photographs. I elected to continue the blog and just write about photography in general and my own work.

However, maintaining a blog takes a lot of time. Not the computer maintenance; the writing and editing of posts and articles.

Do you blog?

What's your traffic (readership) like?

I'm finding the stats on my blog are making it just not worth the time I spend. I have no illusions that I am making the world better for photography or photographers by blogging, I just thought it would be mildly entertaining. But there are thousands of blogs! Hard to be heard in all the noise.

Drew Bedo
29-May-2015, 08:21
I do not blog. Anything I have to say, I pretty much say it here.

Corran
29-May-2015, 08:25
Yes, a lot. See below in my signature obviously.

I do it primarily as a "diary" of sorts for me. What lens, film, camera, etc. - plus accessible anywhere. Many times a student, friend, or online acquaintance has asked about a certain piece of gear, film, or place and I could direct them to examples or information. I have kept up with tagging my posts with lenses/places so I can reference things easily. I can also put a ton of images from a place or day in one place, while linking to it from just one or two images here or other online fora.

I don't know about "making the world better" but I have gotten many an email or message telling me they enjoy the blog or simply found it informative. Certainly my most well-read entries are reviews of a sort for a camera or lens, especially obscure/old/vintage stuff. While I am not monetizing my blog at all, I do think the potential is there with some work, especially in the area of old, rare photography stuff, especially film.

I am currently pondering some expansion on this with Youtube videos/vlogs. I have recently started watching a few "shows" on YT and I'm quite amazed at what one person or a small group can accomplish, and I am proficient with video editing already anyway.

Overall I am approaching 50,000 views since late 2011, which is pretty small, but again I am not "targeting" an audience right now. Some reviews on my blog, especially ones for some uncommon Nikon lenses, get hundreds of views a month though. That's where the market is.

RSalles
29-May-2015, 08:33
Last week or so I have started mine. Lot of content to upload, let's see if I have the time to update it,

Cheers,

Renato

paulr
29-May-2015, 08:37
I don't keep up with the photo world enough to blog about it, so I just read other people's blogs, and occasionally comment. I blog about about food (http://underbelly-nyc.blogspot.com).

Bill_1856
29-May-2015, 08:39
What is "blog?"

Corran
29-May-2015, 08:43
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

fishbulb
29-May-2015, 09:12
I've had several blogs, with one over ten years old now. I don't update them much more than every six months, because, as others have said, its a ton of work for little reward.

If you want to successfully blog and get a lot of readers you should probably look at some of the most popular blogs. You will probably notice that most of them write about gear half the time (the online photographer, petapixel, photography life etc) or all the time ( the brand rumors blogs like nikonrumors, lensrentals, etc.). Most of them regularly publish inane inflammatory articles to drum up readership, comments, etc., such as Canon vs Nikon, film vs. digital, crop vs. full frame etc. They make money with advertisements and affiliate marketing referral links. Your blog should look also good on a PC, tablet, RSS reader, and mobile device and have good search engine optimization.

Preston
29-May-2015, 12:30
No blog, no facebook, no twitter, no instagram, no...nada, except for my web site (http://www.gildedmoon.com/).

I just did a major update to my site. It was sadly out of date, and it took a ton of work. That was enough for me. I'd rather be out and about, or doing a bit of guitar picking.

I have read some well done blogs and I can see they take a lot of work. More power to those who choose to do one.

--P

Drew Wiley
29-May-2015, 12:48
I have zero interest in all that nonsense. I will get around to re-doing my own website one of these days, but no hurry. And Preston, your new site is certainly nice. I recognize that exact rock and lupine bloom at Sonora Pass - was that taken when I met you up there? Think that was the day I lugged my 8x10 up Blue Canyon.

paulr
29-May-2015, 12:54
I have zero interest in all that nonsense.

By all that nonsense do you mean blathering one's opinions on the internet?

Just curious.

jp
29-May-2015, 12:58
I'm tempted to start one. Sort of a public diary as Bryan suggests. I use Facebook and instagram to a small extent, but I think it's a poor system for sharing and organizing multimedia and skills/knowledge on the Internet. If you install your own software (cms such as wordpress) to run a blog (as opposed to using a cloud service for that purpose), be sure to update it regularly. I am sometimes inspired by other bloggers who's writing and photos work well together. I've also recently figured out video editing. So much creative possibilities, so little time.

koh303
29-May-2015, 13:03
I loves my blog:
http://transporterpsychosis.blogspot.com
I try to update it regularly, but it is a challenge.

Drew Wiley
29-May-2015, 13:51
Paul - I blather my own opinions here, so that is too much already. Maybe I'm just old and cranky, and for the life of me, can't see why someplace like Cuba is
deprived because they don't have internet access. Everytime I log on it's like running a gauntlet past convenience store racks - junk tabloid news, junk food, junk entertainment, junk science, junk religion, junk imagery, junk everything. People got nuthin better to do? I'm currently resting my back after unloading a pile of
gear. Tomorrow I'll be out traipsing around Pt Reyes with a view camera. Life is too short for "blogging" or video games or reading the latest swiftboating foolishness on the web. I do understand how a younger generation will tend to have a different visual cultivation than I do. That's fine. But I don't like hip-hop
music either.

jp
29-May-2015, 14:13
Life is too short for "blogging" or video games or reading the latest swiftboating foolishness on the web.

Us younger whipper-snappers give up TV and newspapers and magazines for the web. Life is short, but we can fit it in.

Preston
29-May-2015, 14:38
And Preston, your new site is certainly nice. I recognize that exact rock and lupine bloom at Sonora Pass - was that taken when I met you up there? Think that was the day I lugged my 8x10 up Blue Canyon.

Thanks, Drew. We did visit that spot, but I'm not sure the exposure was made on that day--as you can imagine, I visit that spot often.

--P

Drew Wiley
29-May-2015, 15:57
Don't know if I'll be able to do my annual weekend pilgrimage up Blue Canyon this year or not. More likely I'll head to the Rubies in NV midsummer. Scouted that
area last fall. This will be another year where I have to keep multiple options open, largely depending on where fires are at any given time. But the Rubies and
Humboldt Range have flashflooded the last two summers. Think I'd want to pack my Bibler tent if anything like that was a risk. They rebuilt the official campground down in Lamoille Canyon after half of it washed out, and improved the culverts to make that unlikely again. Nice quiet spot except on major holidays. One trailhead is right there, and another just a five minute drive uphill. More like Montana mtns in terms of geology than the granitic Sierra, and utterly unlike stereotypes of Nevada except down lower with the usual sage. The lupine is doing strange things around here due to the drought. Lots of white lupine out on the coast rather than the usual yellow. Around here we get purplish-blue lupine in winter, before the wet, and blue lupine in spring just like in the
Sierra foothills. Dwarf blue lupine is common right now, similar to how it is in Feb or early March up in the foothills. There is a spotted violet and white lupine
too, which I've seen only rarely outside the Coast Range.

jnanian
29-May-2015, 18:35
I loves my blog:
http://transporterpsychosis.blogspot.com
I try to update it regularly, but it is a challenge.

---

mes too, yer blog ..
have one too, have fun with it
but not ez to keep up withit

https://nanianphoto.com/blog/

photonsoup
29-May-2015, 20:56
I have a couple of blogs. I think they are still there. I haven't posted anything new in years. Pretty sure I haven't even mentioned getting into LF over two years ago. I'm just tired of all the time technology makes me spend at a computer. About the time I started shooting film again I lost interest in Internet pursuits. This web site is the only one I visit regularly.

koh303
30-May-2015, 05:19
---

mes too, yer blog ..
have one too, have fun with it
but not ez to keep up withit

https://nanianphoto.com/blog/

wow you write alot.
I am mostly in it for the photos, though i do write sometimes too (more writing in the past), but i think i am the only person who actually reads this crap and i sometimes look for a photo and read the text i wrote with it so long ago and think to my self, wow what a load of BS, who would bother reading this stuff?

jnanian
30-May-2015, 05:44
sometimes i think the same thing after i click "publish" LOL

tgtaylor
30-May-2015, 11:15
I don't "blog" per se but I do have a "Field Notes" page on my website where I occasionally discuss some of the photos that I took that day: http://www.spiritsofsilver.com/field_notes

As you can see, I'm a little behind.

Thoma

Iluvmyviewcam
30-May-2015, 11:31
By all that nonsense do you mean blathering one's opinions on the internet?

Just curious.

Hey...most everyone has an opinion. Just some of them are on the stinky side.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/opinions-are-like-assholes-everyones-got-one/

Sirius Glass
30-May-2015, 12:38
Same answer that I gave on APUG: I have better things to do with my resources and time.

paulr
30-May-2015, 13:04
Is this performance art? Enacting what you complain about with the complaint itself?

Well played, sir.

Paul - I blather my own opinions here, so that is too much already. Maybe I'm just old and cranky, and for the life of me, can't see why someplace like Cuba is
deprived because they don't have internet access. Everytime I log on it's like running a gauntlet past convenience store racks - junk tabloid news, junk food, junk entertainment, junk science, junk religion, junk imagery, junk everything. People got nuthin better to do? I'm currently resting my back after unloading a pile of
gear. Tomorrow I'll be out traipsing around Pt Reyes with a view camera. Life is too short for "blogging" or video games or reading the latest swiftboating foolishness on the web. I do understand how a younger generation will tend to have a different visual cultivation than I do. That's fine. But I don't like hip-hop
music either.

p.s. ... I think this should be rapped to a hip-hop beat.

Ari
30-May-2015, 18:19
I like the internet only insofar as it touches upon my work and other interests; the rest is pure noise, so I stopped adding to the noise long ago by not writing a blog or carrying on more than necessary on FB or Twitter (business only).
I really cherish the silence lately, both physical and virtual.
Then again, here I am, writing these words.
Back to silence.

Robert Langham
30-May-2015, 18:28
I keep a little blog running. I update it every little bit. Mostly photos and the process.

http://robertlangham.blogspot.com/

welly
31-May-2015, 02:08
I run a blog although it's less my opinion and more that of others. I just publish what I'm interested in reading and it seems a fair bunch of people enjoy reading it to. It's not an opinion blog, it's a "what's going on in the world of large format/traditional photography". It's images more than swiftboating foolishness.

http://thelargeformatblog.com

Rayt
31-May-2015, 07:45
If I blog then will these darn kids get off my lawn?

djdister
31-May-2015, 09:09
I started a blog site for the sole purpose of being able to link to larger versions of my images for posting on these pages - they display much larger than the little thumbnails and within the body of the reply - nothing to click on.

skiers4life
1-Jun-2015, 06:37
I started a large format blog and YouTube channel as a way to get rich quickly. This has not proven to be a wise choice... Seriously though, as others have said, I use mine mainly to journal my trips. In the past I have only had the LF landscapes that I took to remember a trip. I had no pics of the trip itself so to speak. Therefore I started doing videos and taking behind-the-scenes images as a way to better remember the trips I take. I enjoy writing and going back to read my trip reports, but I'm under no illusion that I'll ever have a large readership. I'll also post some opinions and tutorials from time to time. It's mostly personal stuff, but I do ocasionally get notes about how it has helped others out, so that's always encouraging.

Oh yeah, check out my blog at www.alanbrockimages.com :)

bdkphoto
1-Jun-2015, 09:29
I've been blogging for ASMP's Strictly Business for several years. A wide variety of topics for the working professionals. Some are occasionally useful ;-)

http://www.asmp.org/strictlybusiness/author/brucekatz/#.VWyE0WAhf7q

DrTang
1-Jun-2015, 11:55
too much pressure

I had a general one and gave it up..as I felt pressured to do stuff - just so I could write about something

feh to that

David_Senesac
3-Jun-2015, 13:32
No, but a decade ago when they exploded on the web took a look at doing such. Were far too many already and expected in my case trying to get even minor attention of the public would be futile because the WWW had already been overrun by powerful advertising interests controlling packet traffic. Much easier to post public commentary on well-known public websites forums where there were ready audiences. Also did not think I had enough about photography of interest to write long term. Like am not a gear or photo industry connected person nor one depending on photography to make a living (old SV hi tech person). Additionally it was apparent vastly powerful Facebook and similar social media sites were evolving features that would make blogs less relevant.

Instead as someone that readily hand codes in HTML, and given photography is a more image centric realm than blog structure tends to work well with, it is more practical to occasionally add features to my website like the below.:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2015/spring_2015-1.html

Liquid Artist
4-Jun-2015, 05:33
I had a blog and a Web site until about 5 years ago, however I never updated either of them partly due to lack of visitors.
Another reason why I gave up on them is because our hard work looks like cr*p on a poorly calibrated monitor.

My woman keeps on bugging me to start it back up, and start a facebook page.
I gave her permission to do it for me a year ago, and she hasn't.
I don't think she will anytime soon.

axs810
4-Jun-2015, 21:34
Do tumblrs count as blogs? :rolleyes: lol

Drew Wiley
8-Jun-2015, 15:35
Carnivorous plants tend to grow in blogs, so I avoid them.

Leszek Vogt
8-Jun-2015, 16:43
I don't engage in it, but do appreciate well put together blog. So far I only found one that I like....it was humorous, quirky and the personal stories I could relate to. The gear was rarely mentioned. Yes, anything smart and not over the top....I'll check it out.

Les