PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to clean off front element haze?

Dennis
25-May-2015, 16:51
I have a very nice 135 Planar in a linhof shutter that unfortunately has developed a slight bit of haze apparently on the outside of the front element. It looks like you could just wipe it off. It kind of looks like a bit of dust on the lens but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to remove it or affect it. I have tried various lens cleaners and alcohol and vodka and even magic tape but nothing works.
Does anyone know of anything that would clean it or is it only fixable being polished. The yellowish planar coating still looks fine. I am not sure what the nature of this haze is.

thanks
Dennis

Old-N-Feeble
25-May-2015, 17:23
I would drink the vodka and not worry about it. :D

LabRat
25-May-2015, 17:25
Some of that era's flint glass (used on front elements) was suspect to environmental issues, such as moisture, mold, fungus, etc, and could be slightly "etched" after attack...

Look at the surface under reflected light with a high power lupe, and look for little pits under the surface... That would be from fungus attack... And look if the haze is even or slightly patchy...

Focal Point would polish and recoat if needed...

But often a lens with this will still shoot OK, so do some tests...

Steve K

Joe Smigiel
25-May-2015, 19:44
You might be able to use some whiting in alcohol and a PEC pad to remove haze if you are willing to take a chance. If the haze is impacting your images negatively (sic) I would think it might be worth a try since I've heard re-polishing is cost-prohibitive. I've removed haze on old Symmar elements with no damage as far as I can tell. If you have another lens that has this problem and is expendable, you could try it there first. I would assume a camera shop or repair might have a garbage lens they would give you to test with, or there is always Craigslist or eBay.

Astronomers also use collodion to clean lens elements and that might possibly work. I believe the procedure involves placing some cheesecloth on the element and then saturating it with collodion. Once the ether and alcohol evaporate, the cloth is removed taking any gunk along with it. Googling should turn up the exact procedure.

EdSawyer
26-May-2015, 06:37
Post a pic if you can, haze can take many forms - some can be fixed, others not so much. I've had good luck cleaning haze from some older lenses, notably Pentacs and other aerial lenses.

Kevin Crisp
26-May-2015, 06:49
My experience is that if it won't come off with a lens pen it won't come off. But a lot of time it looks like it is on the outside when it is on the inside.

Dennis
26-May-2015, 07:04
Thanks. It would be difficult to photograph but I will try. I had the same sort of thing with some very old Schneider enlarging lenses. I don't know if it is progressive or how to stop it being progressive. At this point it isn't too bad.
I have to sell the lens so I am putting it through some tests so that I can describe it accurately. The lens is part of a set of 3 Linhof lenses, the 75mm Zeiss Biogon and the 240 Zeiss Sonnar are the other two lenses that also must be sold with it and they are in much better condition.
Dennis

DrTang
26-May-2015, 07:05
But a lot of time it looks like it is on the outside when it is on the inside. I have always found this to be the case

what looks like it is just on the inside back surface is actually in the cement of a glued element.. and then I'm: ' DANG!'

EdSawyer
26-May-2015, 11:36
Selling all 3 of those lenses separately will be better than trying to sell them as a group.

Jac@stafford.net
26-May-2015, 11:43
Selling all 3 of those lenses separately will be better than trying to sell them as a group.

Just to +1 that. I watched several attempts of people trying to sell the Linhof 'dream set': 75mm Biogon, 135mm Planar and the Sonnar. Years past with no sale. It is apparently just too much as a set.

Dennis
26-May-2015, 11:47
Just to +1 that. I watched several attempts of people trying to sell the Linhof 'dream set': 75mm Biogon, 135mm Planar and the Sonnar. Years past with no sale. It is apparently just too much as a set.

Yes that is my thought especially as the Planar is not as good condition as the others.
Dennis

Toyon
26-May-2015, 12:25
Vade Mecum claims that Brasso metal cleaner spread on the lens will sometimes remove haze.

Kevin Crisp
26-May-2015, 13:13
Polishes will remove the front coating.

lfpf
26-May-2015, 14:08
I have a very nice 135 Planar in a linhof shutter that unfortunately has developed a slight bit of haze... It looks like you could just wipe it off. ...tried various lens cleaners, alcohol, vodka, magic tape but nothing works. I am not sure what the nature of this haze is.
thanks
Dennis
If not etched (what follows is not a product plug), then First Contact™ (polymer) Cleaning Solution by PhotonicsCleaning works well. It's a brush-on viscous polymer that removes surface contaminants after drying then peeled off. No contaminant rubbing involved. Keep away from edges because the liquid polymer will be drawn-in. Good luck.

Dennis
26-May-2015, 15:46
Thanks all for all the advice. I took the front element off and verified that yes indeed the haze is on the inside, so I am waiting to hear back from John Van Stelton about having Focal Point Lens Repair take it apart and clean it and polish it a bit. I had them de cement and then re coat and then re cement the front element of an 80mm planar off a 2.8F Rolleiflex and they did a good job. I think this repair should be much less complicated. It is quite a valuable lens in good condition so it is probably a good investment.

Dennis

EdSawyer
27-May-2015, 06:34
the only *really* valuable version of the 135 planar is the latest T* version in all black. The earlier versions, though desirable and certainly valuable, are not nearly as expensive. Just an FYI before you invest more than a few hundred in it (as it may not make that much difference in final price/value).

Dennis
27-May-2015, 07:45
I would drink the vodka and not worry about it.
http://aaswall.cf/20/o.png

Well I could do both. Vodka is cheap. I have actually found that vodka is quite a good lens cleaner. It also leaves no residue.

Michael Cienfuegos
27-May-2015, 09:10
Well I could do both. Vodka is cheap. I have actually found that vodka is quite a good lens cleaner. It also leaves no residue.

I don't have any vodka, is Hendrick's Gin ok?

m