PDA

View Full Version : 240mm : APO Ronar vs Fujinon A

Yuri Saniko
24-Jan-2005, 09:52
I'm looking for compact and sharp lens for my Nagaoka 4x5 field camera.
I'm looking at Apo Ronar 240/9 and Fujinon A 240/9. My local dealer has both lenses in great condition, price is the same - $360.
Which lens will be better for 4x5?

wfwhitaker
24-Jan-2005, 10:11
the one in the better shutter.

Gem Singer
24-Jan-2005, 10:20
Hi Yuri,

I'm a Fuji guy, myself, so I would choose the Fuji. I have owned/used the Fuji 240A, and find it to be an outstanding lens with a large enough image circle to cover 8X10. For $360, in excellent condition, it appears to be a bargain.

However, the Rodenstock 240 Apo Ronar is also an excellent lens. At $360, everything being equal, the Apo Ronar is the better buy of the two.

giancatarina
24-Jan-2005, 10:29
apo ronar exist in non coated, single coated and multicoated, then you have the shutter : compur, synchro compur, copal ...
Same for fuji EBC fujinon or not, and the shutter.
If you don't need a large amount of movements, the apo ronar is very good, otherwise go for the fuji if multicoated (EBC) !
You should ask the dealer if you can try both of them in the same time !

Yuri Saniko
24-Jan-2005, 11:12
Thanks for your answers!
I don't really need large amount of movements for landscapes.
So should I go for either of lens which is multicoated? Can I figure age of lens by serial # ?
Both lenses are in Copal shutters, Copal-1 for Ronar and Copal-0 for Fujinon .

Ted Harris
24-Jan-2005, 11:16
To add to the first two posts:

1) You should be able to tell if the lens is multicoated by the reflections in the glass. Beyond that the Ronar should say MC or multicoated and the lettering on the Fuji will be on the outside of the rim.

2) If the Fuji lens is in a Seiko shutter it is definitely an older model, an ok shutter just not nearly new for sure. The Syncro-compur will be the oldest shutter for the Ronar. Copal shutters progress from older to newer as follows: oldest = small teeth on the rim and chrome or chrome and black; newer = large teeth on a chrome rim and the rest black; newest = all black. There are also recent compur and prontor shutters, not to mention press shutters. So if you have a few more details it would be helpful.

Gem Singer
24-Jan-2005, 12:19
Hello again Yuri,

Since both lenses are in Copal shutters, and knowing that an all black Copal is the latest version,
if the Apo Ronar is mounted in an all black Copal 1 shutter, with no defects, at $360, it is a steal. If the Apo Ronar is mounted in a silver rim Copal 1 shutter, and the Fuji 240A is mounted in an all black Copal 0 shutter, purchase the Fuji, instead. If both lenses are mounted in silver rim Copal shutters, choose the one that looks the best to you. You cannot go wrong with either lens.

Yuri Saniko
24-Jan-2005, 12:43
Thank you all! I will probaly buy both lenses since price is good, and will sell one on eBay later. I think it will be the best way to choose. :)

Jim Galli
24-Jan-2005, 13:54
Most of the Fuji's are in the Copal 0 with the chrome selecter ring. It's like they did a run of XXXX (insert your guess here) all at the same time and it was right when the chrome Copals were in production so that's what they got. And then they sold from that run for the next 17 years. Every Fuji f9A I've ever had was sweet. Every Fuji f9A I've ever had was also in the chrome ring shutter. Buying them both isn't that bad of an idea. Is that why I've got over 100 lenses for LF????? Hmmmm.

Steve Clark
24-Jan-2005, 21:16
To Jim, If you are married, your wife must be a saint!

Dan Fromm
25-Jan-2005, 07:03
Steve, he tells his wife his lenses are for resale. Money in the bank, that's what they are.

Cheers,

Dan

W K Lam
28-Jan-2005, 09:47
Hi Yuri,
Mind to tell me your local dealer contact e-mail? or website? i do have interest to get the same lens! My e-mail is hiahktuat01@yahoo.com.hk
Norris