PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 2D vs Korona 8x10 (both full movements)

axs810
20-May-2015, 08:51
I never knew there were models of both cameras with full movements....so now I'm looking into buying one again but I'm just wondering if one is better than the other? If so why?

Thanks!

Drew Bedo
20-May-2015, 10:35
I think that specimens of the Kodak Eastman view 2D that have front tilt are cameras that have been modified. I am pretty sure about that, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about Koronas.

In any case, I would strongly urge anyone looking for an 8x10 with front movements to look for a camera built that way and not modify a stock 2D.

Louis Pacilla
20-May-2015, 10:52
I think that specimens of the Kodak Eastman view 2D that have front tilt are cameras that have been modified. I am pretty sure about that, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about Koronas.

In any case, I would strongly urge anyone looking for an 8x10 with front movements to look for a camera built that way and not modify a stock 2D.

You are correct Drew. Neither camera was ever manufactured w/ anything but rise/fall and geared focus and I agree fully with everything this fine gentleman has suggested.

axs810
20-May-2015, 11:21
Really? Then is this a modded camera?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?122460-FS-Korona-8X10

Bill_1856
20-May-2015, 11:48
Just use the back tilt, like everybody used to (if they used anything at all).

Gary Sommer
20-May-2015, 12:36
I have two Koronas, 8x10, and 4x5 that have front movements just like the ones in the link. I also have a Korona 4x5 that only has rise on the front.

Peter De Smidt
20-May-2015, 12:37
Or get a tilting lens board.

jbenedict
20-May-2015, 12:41
The most important thing is condition. All of these cameras are quite old and were not really designed to be used outside of the studio. Of course, they have both ben used everywhere and most of them really show their age or have been rebuilt somewhere along the line. If you are a stickler about originality, you might want to have one that has not been modified. As others have said, most of these cameras had rise and (some) shift on the front and tilt and (some) swing on the rear. If any modifications are done is a workman-like, sanitary manner, I personally don't see any reason to avoid such cameras.

goamules
20-May-2015, 13:14
There was a Agfa / Ansco model and a Century Universal with front tilting lensboard, I believe. Otherwise, just look for a camera that has what you want for movements.

axs810
20-May-2015, 15:15
So wait has this Korona 8x10 been modified or did they actually manufacture these this way at some point?

This is the camera I'm talking about:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?122460-FS-Korona-8X10

Leonard Robertson
20-May-2015, 19:27
On page 33 of this Korona catalog is shown the "Korona Commercial Camera" which seems to have more movements than the normal Korona models:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/korona_2.html

I'm curious how common this Commercial model is compared with regular Koronas.

Len

Ginette
20-May-2015, 19:50
So wait has this Korona 8x10 been modified or did they actually manufacture these this way at some point?

This is the camera I'm talking about:

This model is not modified and it is very frequent.

On page 33 of this Korona catalog is shown the "Korona Commercial Camera" which seems to have more movements than the normal Korona models:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/korona_2.html

I'm curious how common this Commercial model is compared with regular Koronas.

Len

This is the first time I saw this Commercial Korona. Pretty rare I think. Probably made before the model linked by axs810.

I cannot speak about the 2D as I never have one but I had a Korona 8x10 till recently and a 5x7, both with the full front movements. Camera are lightweight and easy to set-up. Korona bellows are really solid. When I sold my 8x10 two years ago, I cannot found absolutely any pinholes into and I had it since 1980 and it was the original bellow. In comparaison, Cambo bellows make pinholes just to look at!

Louis Pacilla
20-May-2015, 20:34
Really? Then is this a modded camera?

You know I should have remembered this as my Korona 12x20 has front tilt and Gundlach Manufacturing did add it at one point in manufacture and maybe around the time they moved from Rochester NY to Fairport NY. I have owned a 5x7 Korona View w/ front tilt and the 8x10 Korona View I own now is the pre- front tilt model.

Sorry for my mis-information and I knew this but guess I had a brain poop when the question was asked.

The Eastman View 2/2D I know for sure was never manufactured w/ front tilt.

neil poulsen
20-May-2015, 21:47
I had a Kodak 2D, and with any significant rise, the bellows intruded on the bottom of the image by about a half inch or more. (Recall that the image is upside down.) it's possible that I had a stiff bellows, or the bellows had been replaced. But, I'd heard that other 2D owners had experienced the same problem. I bought this camera from a dealer, and it wasn't until after the warranty had expired, that I noticed this problem.

I'd recommend checking for this during the inspection period, or asking a seller if it's a problem when purchasing through EBay.

Mark Sawyer
21-May-2015, 01:26
If you want lots of every possible movement, get a Burke & James Commercial View.

Drew Bedo
21-May-2015, 05:06
If you want lots of every possible movement, get a Burke & James Commercial View.

Right you are. The 2D is capable, but has design limitatio
I understood that the 2Ds were primarily used in studio portraiture. Two major user e of the 3D werethe US Army and Navy. For more demsnding photography, they used a more limited number of Dearsorffs. These 'Dorffs used a 2D compatable lensboard with square (not rounded) corners. These 2D studio cameras were not intended to be used the way many of us use them today; backpacked into the high country for landscapes etc.