PDA

View Full Version : Just received a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000...

Dan Quan
18-May-2015, 15:49
on a long term loan from a friend. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from users familiar with the device. Thanks.

Corran
18-May-2015, 22:21
I had an 8000 back a few years ago. What do you want to know?

I liked the Nikon Scan software and it was the best scanning software for color neg I've ever used. The colors were always great with little to no tweaking needed.

I used mine on a Windows XP machine with an aftermarket Firewire adapter.

Of course, that scanner only does 120 and smaller, so not really LF. I did cut down a couple of 4x5 negatives to fit when I first shot sheet film to see what resolution was there, before I bought a larger scanner. I sold the Nikon and all my medium format gear to pay for my 4x5 kit, a smaller scanner for 35mm, and a larger scanner for sheet film. I still miss it though for 120 sometimes, especially negative film.

pinup tragic
19-May-2015, 01:43
Got mine to run on win 7, a couple of tutorials out there on how to do it - good quality scanner a little slow maybe.

philipus
19-May-2015, 01:45
Dan, a lot of us use Vuescan or Silverfast to run the 9000 instead of the Nikon Scan software. I can't speak about Silverfast; all I know it is expensive. The Nikon Scan software is only compatible up to Snow Leopard on Mac because it requires Rosetta. I use both Vuescan and Nikon Scan from separate volumes on my Mac. There are times when the Nikon Scan software is easier to use I find, particularly when scanning 6x6 because Vuescan has difficulty detecting frame edges.

Which computer/OS do you use?

There's a bit of a learning curve with any scanning program but this guide (http://www.photoshop-tutorials-plus.com/support-files/vuescan.pdf) will walk you through Vuescan's settings and give you a decent first scan.

Also, look into the ColorPerfect plugin for Photoshop. I find that it gives good results.

The 9000 delivers very good results in my experience, particularly of black and white negs and transparencies. Its light source is rather harsh on 35mm C41, esp if the neg is not accurately exposed, and causes quite grainy scans. This can be adjusted in post and is also less of a problem with larger formats.

best
Philip

rjphil
19-May-2015, 06:40
I am running a 9000 on Win 7, using Silverfast AI studio, mostly for transparencies. The shadow details are much better than the Nikon software. The ICE technology doesn't work with B/W films (wish it did!), but it does a good job with them as well. I haven't scanned too many color negs with it, but the results I have gotten are fine.

Peter De Smidt
19-May-2015, 06:43
Use a glass carrier or the film won't be held flat.

Dan Quan
19-May-2015, 13:14
Hey all, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I am running OSX 10.6.8 and have made about 7 scans just trying out some of the Nikon Scan features. So far it all seems pretty straight forward and, not surprisingly, the results are better than my Epson V600. I think I may have installed Rosetta at some point for something else, but I may be mis-remembering.

Oren Grad
19-May-2015, 21:31
Be sure the film holders are securely latched before inserting them into the scanner. If a holder pops open while inside the scanner, the only way to get it out will be to remove the scanner cover - lots of little screws! - and poke around carefully inside.

Dan Quan
21-May-2015, 14:53
Be sure the film holders are securely latched before inserting them into the scanner. If a holder pops open while inside the scanner, the only way to get it out will be to remove the scanner cover - lots of little screws! - and poke around carefully inside.

Really good advice! Thanks!

In hindsight this seems obvious but...

Andre Noble
21-May-2015, 18:59
I am running mine on Windows 8.1