PDA

View Full Version : Does Sinar Shutter Fit 8x10 Arca Swiss F-Metric?

bc_69
4-May-2015, 16:07
Wondering if a Sinar shutter will fit my 8x10 Arca Swiss F-Metric before I go out and buy it?

Thanks

Rod Klukas
4-May-2015, 19:00
Wondering if a Sinar shutter will fit my 8x10 Arca Swiss F-Metric before I go out and buy it?

Thanks

Sorry, but this is a bad Idea. The mechanical shutter had a lot of vibration. Was Ok with fast flash durations, but not so good on location/available light.
Also had several eccentric cables that are hard to find.
And to use with an Arca-Swiss camera, you will need someone to custom mount it and modify your camera.
So not good. Arca-Swiss is shortly going to deliver a shutter system, called DEX, including a focal plane shutter for MF backs, as well as, a Central leaf shutter, with a wireless controller,
bracketing, focus control, etc. You will not need a computer to operate it, nor will you need to touch the shutter at all. Remote the size of a deck of cards.
Shutter speeds, apertures and bracketing settings all wireless.
Contact me and I will send you a PDF on the system.
Rod

Tin Can
4-May-2015, 19:04
Sorry, but this is a bad Idea. The mechanical shutter had a lot of vibration. Was Ok with fast flash durations, but not so good on location/available light.
Also had several eccentric cables that are hard to find.
And to use with an Arca-Swiss camera, you will need someone to custom mount it and modify your camera.
So not good. Arca-Swiss is shortly going to deliver a shutter system, called DEX, including a focal plane shutter for MF backs, as well as, a Central leaf shutter, with a wireless controller,
bracketing, focus control, etc. You will not need a computer to operate it, nor will you need to touch the shutter at all. Remote the size of a deck of cards.
Shutter speeds, apertures and bracketing settings all wireless.
Contact me and I will send you a PDF on the system.
Rod

That sounds very interesting, may another contact you?

Lachlan 717
5-May-2015, 03:36

Rod

A myth that has been dispelled many, many times over, conveniently resurfacing just before you introduce an alternative.

hoffner
5-May-2015, 04:42
A myth that has been dispelled many, many times over, conveniently resurfacing just before you introduce an alternative.

+1, see discussions about the topic on this forum too.

Rod Klukas
5-May-2015, 09:11
That sounds very interesting, may another contact you?

Certainly.
Be well,
Rod

Rod Klukas
5-May-2015, 09:35
The fact is that, when used in the studio, the Sinar shutter, on a Sinar, was OK since the actual exposure time was the flash duration. The mechanical shutter was limited, to 1/60 and slower, so wasn't superb unless coupled with excellent strobe equipment, like Bron, Comet, Profoto, etc., which had fast flash durations and did not use flash duration to vary the power.
The varying of flash duration, by the way also, changes the color balance.
The electronic model did go to 1/500, but again suffered from reliability, and was not very portable either. So better than the Mechanical in terms of speed and less vibration.
Copal decided to stop producing mechanical shutters, due to a variety of factors. One they, I have been told, were having a crisis of precision assemblers, as the workers from the 1950-80's slowly retired and or passed on. Younger people were less inclined to precision bench work. Shutter prices in 2012, went up by half and Copal said they would continue for a while.
Then in 2013 they said they had produced about 10 years, they felt, supply of shutters, and they stopped.
When the initial price change came to pass around 2012, Copal had tried to stop and pressure by Rodenstock and Schneider, et al, got them to make the shutters for a few more years at the new price point.
At the same time, Rodenstock, Arca-Swiss, and Schneider, who already had a shutter for studio use, and others, went into development of an electronic alternative.
These are in development from Arca-Swiss and Rodenstock. Rollei, had also had a shutter but as they seem finally defunct now, and repairs are non existent currently, so their shutter is a dead issue.
But Copal is not gone, just the traditional #0, #1, and #3, shutters for view camera lenses. They are still producing timing devices.
By the way if you purchase a cheap lens to get a shutter, rememebr you should send it to have it columnated by a competent repair person so the focus is perfect. Stopping a lens down will hide a lot, if you see negatives or images from a properly reset lens and one that is not, you will easily see the difference.
Hope this helps.
Rod

aluncrockford
9-May-2015, 06:43
I used the expolux Sinar shutter for years and it was completely vibration free and utterly reliable, unfortunately Sinar stopped making, and now supporting it, the major problem with the expolux was it did not work with the p45, something to do with the output wattage being insufficient to trigger the back. The original shutter was indeed clunky but was used in many studios for years without too much drama, this did include shooting on low speeds with tungsten film, to imply that this shutter was of little use in available light might well be described as disingenuous .
I must confess a little surprise that this project is being undertaken at all and am curious to see if the cost could be sufficiently competitive to warrant investment in a system that I assume would require new mounts for all lenses in addition to the shutter and lens boards . In a market where commercial large format is slowly dying the death who would buy this product.