PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Cambo back on to a Pacemaker

Dave Orndorf
1-May-2015, 19:29
I am trying to figure out the least expensive way to mount a cambo monocular reflex viewer on to a pacemaker camera. Grimes of course does it, but it is expensive. I think it might be less expensive to mount a cambo 4x5 back onto the pacemaker so the viewer then just mounts as it should. I was wondering if anyone has done this conversion (doesn't have to be pretty, just light tight), or if it was even possible?
Thanks,
Dave

Old-N-Feeble
1-May-2015, 21:07
I know you asked specifically about Cambo but, IIRC, the Polaroid MP-4 reflex viewer is an easy conversion and they're not pricey. It's also binocular so it may not be what you want anyway.

Dave Orndorf
2-May-2015, 09:21
The polaroid MP-4 would be the last resort, I was hoping to trim the profile a bit with the use of the Cambo monocular. Thank you for your response.

mdarnton
2-May-2015, 09:41
I was thinking the same thing a while ago. Someone had mentioned at one time the possibility of fitting the Cambo focus panel to a normal Graflex Graflok back. I tried it once, and it was a no-go with the Cambo panel I had. Now I have a mess of them (I'm making Cambo 4x5 backs for my 5x7 and 8x10 Agfa-Ansco views specifically so I can use the Cambo reflex finder on them) and I should try it again. . .
The idea might work better if one were willing to trash the cambo panel a bit--If I remember right, it was the skirt on the panel that prevented it from going on. I think some variation of that would be easier than changing the whole back.

Dave Orndorf
3-May-2015, 10:04
I guess I will try and find cheap cambo back and roll the dice and see if I can make it work.
Thank you for your response.

rfesk
3-May-2015, 10:38
I have both the Graflok back and the Cambo viewer. Seems like you can fabricate suitable replacement clips that will hold the ground glass in its place and also serve as a means to clip the viewer to the back. I haven't done it yet will most likely will soon.

EdSawyer
4-May-2015, 09:05
I have all the parts for this sort of thing, but the cambo focus panel will not clip into a Graflex back without modification. The Graflex back is held on with approx 7 screws. A cambo back could be bolted on, it's a little smaller than the Graflex back I think, but should still work fine. Cambo had a rotating back which could be used too.

mdarnton - do you have spare cambo focus panels to sell? I could use a couple for Maxiportrait and Wide cambos, which have the backs, but lack the panels. I have at least 3 cambo cameras, but only one focus panel so I have to keep swapping it around.

-Ed

Drew Bedo
5-May-2015, 06:08
I have done the Polaroid MP-4 to Grafloc conversion twice. It is an inexpensive and easy conversion. The viewer can be echanged for a conventional GG and hood in seconds. The change from one to the other is essentially parfocal. It works well and is functional.

However, it is both heavy and clunky looking IMO. If you are only working in a studio-like setting its OK. For any field work it is less than ideal, though I have done it.

A light weight reflex viewer for grafloc backs might be a good candidate for 3-D printing and /or a Kickstarter project.

mdarnton
5-May-2015, 08:12
mdarnton - do you have spare cambo focus panels to sell? I could use a couple for Maxiportrait and Wide cambos, which have the backs, but lack the panels. I have at least 3 cambo cameras, but only one focus panel so I have to keep swapping it around.

-Ed

No, in fact I think I'm short one, myself.

Dave Orndorf
5-May-2015, 11:24
For anyone else thinking of doing this cambo viewer to Pacemaker adaption out there, here is what I have found:
SK Grimes: $200-250 for the adaption
Fon de Vries in Holland aka Yellow Dot boards: 85 Euro for the adapter, which I am told I will have to fine tune once I get but it seems like the road I am going to take rather then get knee deep converting an entire cambo back. I hope it works out.
Thanks to all.

Misko
6-Nov-2015, 08:48
Dave, Did you purchase & done the conversion in the meantime?

EdSawyer
6-Nov-2015, 14:01
I have a couple of spare cambo backs w/o focus panels if anyone needs them.

Drew Bedo
6-Nov-2015, 16:10
Drew;

There is a reflex viewer on e-Bay that has been adapted to a grafloc back. I have done this conversion before. The reflex viewer replaces the focusing hood on the Grafloc ground glass.

Grafloc backs are available and replace the spring back screw for screw.