PDA

View Full Version : A really new tripod system . . .it rolls up!

Drew Bedo
1-May-2015, 17:37
A new tripod system <2.5 lbs and it rolls up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s24_BuqdWtU

Jac@stafford.net
1-May-2015, 17:45
Way too fussy.

vinny
1-May-2015, 17:47
Nice, but I'll wait for HP to come out with the four-legged version:)

Tin Can
1-May-2015, 17:58
Looks good to me, but why do they never show the weapon firing?

I also want to see it easily burn and melt to nothing so there is no usable evidence...

I am not ex military, and I see they use a tripod slightly differently. One leg back, whereas I always have one leg forward for camera usage.

Sitting may be a good position for LF, however I always shot long guns prone without tripod.

Michael Clark
1-May-2015, 18:11
Weird leg design, if the legs were longer so it could be used with the photographer standing up instead of sitting down, how stable would it be ?

Jim Jones
1-May-2015, 19:32
I've never fired a MG from a tripod, but assume having one leg pointing back is because of the recoil. Also, the function of that tripod is to keep one point on the weapon from moving laterally and vertically, not to prevent torque. Open channel legs made of flexible material seem unsuitable for this.

Tin Can
1-May-2015, 21:40
They never fire anything in the demo, they just keep showing how it rolls up. Really a poor demo.

Bob Salomon
2-May-2015, 01:02

You'll be waiting a very long time as we went out of business in Feb of this year.

Nodda Duma
2-May-2015, 03:11
Very interesting. Tripod design for the military has been neglected for a while now, and no one's completely satisfied with current offerings. Not necessarily for small arms but for handheld imaging and targeting equipment. Those types of systems are getting very small and lightweight...and the tripods that come with them are clunky and don't really (or barely) meet requirements.

Drew Bedo
2-May-2015, 04:50
I would like to see this concept re-engineered for photography. I like the light weight, strength and compact storage. Yet the single aspect that bothers me most is how fussy it is to assemble.Six pieces for each leg plus the spider at the top is a lot of assembly.

The micro adjusting geared pan/tilt head is really interesting. Bet that piece costs a bundle!

David R Munson
2-May-2015, 05:07
It's a cool idea. Not really practical, but cool. I'd like to see how this idea will have developed in 5 or 10 years. Great ideas often have funky, fairly impractical beginnings.

Corran
2-May-2015, 09:14
Wow!

Sure, it's fussy to setup, but how many times do you need to do that? My question is how rigid are the leg tubes if carried by them?

One of those with a Chamonix would be lighter than most cameras themselves! Are these for sale somewhere?? (Edit: looks like you have to call them and ask? Weird.)

Tin Can
2-May-2015, 09:17
All we really need to know is what the exact plastic that the legs are made from.

How thick we can figure out.

Drew Bedo
3-May-2015, 07:27
This could be a great kikstrtr project . . .

Heespharm
3-May-2015, 08:32
Yeah then make a retractable system for the legs like seat belts... That way it's adjustable height... But for photography it's impractical... Weight means stability, especially for larger cameras... My cf tripod folds down to fit inside my bag along with my 4x5... Good for packing but not the best tripod for LF... Plus that head is really really clunky... The girth makes it just as impractical as length

Drew Wiley
11-May-2015, 13:33
Cool. But of course the lighting would all change by the time you finally get it all set up. Might work for a sniper if he specialized only in targets taking long naps.

Corran
11-May-2015, 13:46
Do you pack up your tripod between every shot?

Maybe it's just me, but I setup my tripod once for a whole day of hiking. I carry it on my shoulder, usually with the camera on the head too. Especially if it's a heavier camera, I use my darkcloth as a pad for my shoulder.

brighamr
11-May-2015, 15:04
about 20 years ago I worked in concert lighting and was shown a 40' long single piece of scaffold tube (speed rail to anybody in the U.S.)
it came in a small box and u rolled like a fire hose
then it was snapped round like this tripod but then the two sides were zipped together

it weighed very little and could support the sales man hunting in the middle of it with very little bend

we never bought any because it was £1500 back in 1990 when scaffold tube was about £1 a foot

Jim C.
11-May-2015, 15:18
It looks pretty cool to me, very small foot print when collapsed, which makes it easy to stow with the rest of camera gear
compared to a traditional tripod.
I Googled around to see if it was commercially available, but it seems not yet, I did find this video from the developers
and the un-rolling and rolling of the legs seem to be very fast compared to the guys in Drew's video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGxDYx_gl6g&feature=g-upl

Drew Wiley
11-May-2015, 15:28
That hiking all day thing with a camera over your shoulder doesn't work very well in brush or in the mtns. Last time I saw somebody try that, all his gear was smashed by the end of the day, and his leg too. Think I'll stick with my tried and true Gitzo, which fortunately has three plys of CF. The newer ones have only two, and are much easier to break if the tubing gets dented or gouged. And there's a point at which you really need a certain amt of mass under a view camera to keep it from becoming a kite. Of course, I prefer a wooden tripod on dayhikes for this very reason. But CF is awfully nice for backpacking and airline use. But maybe
somebody will reinvent the wheel. We'll see.

Kirk Gittings
11-May-2015, 16:40

:)

David Lobato
11-May-2015, 16:42
Deal breaker for me. The caliber of my camera is a mismatch. The big gun 8x10 needs heavier artillery support.

Corran
11-May-2015, 18:12
That hiking all day thing with a camera over your shoulder doesn't work very well in brush or in the mtns.

Hmm, well the Rockies are a bit different than the Appalachians, but I did hike up to the top of Clingman's Dome with a Toyo GII over my shoulder. (Not that I would do that again, mind you.)

I am sure I'd be just fine with a Chamonix and featherweight tripod.

Drew Bedo
12-May-2015, 05:46
The Technology and concept are interesting. The gear demonsreated in the video is designed for tactical use. I would like to see something designed specifically for LF photography. wWat about this concept applied to light stands, reflectors or background supports?

How about a camp stool or lawn chair for backpacking?

CropDusterMan
12-May-2015, 07:23
I found this tripod pretty interesting...it is amazing, the strength that can be achieved with certain composites
when in tubular form.

Greg Miller
12-May-2015, 07:36
I doubt the torsional rigidity would be acceptable (since the tube is not closed) for use in photography. Have to wonder about its dampening capability too. But the biggest issue for me is not being able to adjust the height of the tripod. There are just too many good shots that require the tripod to be at different heights.

Michael Cienfuegos
15-May-2015, 16:30
If you use it with a .50BMG Sniper Rifle it must have good dampening capacity. I've never fired a sniper rifle, but I remember well the recoil of an M2 Browning .50 cal. A really neat idea, I bet it would hold an 8x10 with no problem. Being a piece of tactical gear I'll wager that it ain't cheap.

m