PDA

View Full Version : Epson Photo 3200 Scanner, anyone?

Atracksler
28-Apr-2015, 14:31
Ive been banging my head against the wall with my Photo3200 this week.... The scans seem more grainy than the film looks. I'm using Silverfast. I know that there are some issues with my neg, but here is the best scan I could get....

http://i.imgur.com/5xAiylV.jpg

Anyone else care to share their workflow with this scanner?

Fomapan 100 4x5
Toyo 45G
Graflex Optar 135
Caffenol C

Tahnks, ad

koraks
28-Apr-2015, 23:46
That looks fairly normal to me, depending on the resolution/size of the bit you posted. What resolution is this?

Doug Fisher
29-Apr-2015, 08:01
>>Anyone else care to share their workflow with this scanner?<<

Have you tried just using the EpsonScan? It is surprisingly capable. Ken Lee's page is a great place to start:

http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanning.php

Then there is also Wayne Fulton's www.scantips.com for a good place to learn the fundamentals.

Doug

David Lobato
29-Apr-2015, 09:31
+1 on the Epson Scan software. That vintage of Epson scanners are prone to grain aliasing, it looks like grain on steroids. It's due to the hardware and the digital signal processing, and not much can be done about it. I had grain aliasing in areas of uniform tone, especially grays, as in clear skies. Subject detail seems to break it up though.

Allan B
4-Jun-2015, 10:49
I have an Epson 3200, with Vuescan. The Epson software is not available for the Windows 7 computer I have.
I use Ilford HP5 (400 speed film) and often get some grain, depending on the size print I am going to make.
Because it's a digital file, after scanning, I use Adobe Camera Raw (included with Photoshop - same processing for Raw or Jpeg as Lightroom)
to make adjustments for noise, sharpening, etc. to give me a pleasing image. For portraits, I may use more noise reduction and less sharpening.
For a scenic, I usually want a sharper image.

I also sometimes will soften (blur) backgrounds, in Photoshop, that show more grain.

However, even with HP5, you should see no or little grain for a 16x20 print. When I use a slower film, Delta 100, there is very little grain, even
in much larger prints.