PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should we create a new sub-forum for Studio/Artificial Lighting Techniques?

Ralph Barker
13-Apr-2015, 06:20
We have had a couple of suggestions for new sub-forums, so we thought we’d get some data on the level of general interest and potential participation.

Ralph Barker
18-Apr-2015, 05:39
Only 16 people do LF studio work with artificial lighting?

Darin Boville
18-Apr-2015, 07:20
fyi, I voted "yes" but my name has not appeared on the list...

--Darin

bob carnie
18-Apr-2015, 07:34
Yes I do, with hot lights only. I was given a nice light tent which is fantastic , and I have learned how to get to about 1: 1 size on very small objects.

Tracy Storer
18-Apr-2015, 07:49
Aside from power required for LF, ULF, light is light, I encourage. People to be safe and do what looks good to them. I don't think we need to try to cover it on this forum.

Tin Can
18-Apr-2015, 08:59
Somehow, I missed this thread.

My biggest problem is studio work with ULF, LF and anything these days. I did better 15 years ago with 2 Totas. In frustration I bought more gear. See below.

I also want to shoot urban and forest with giant flash bulbs, I have been collecting them for use. One astute member dropped in and gifted me one very large amber flash bulb, which is so pretty it is now a display, too rare to use.

Peter De Smidt has been very helpful, as he recommended I find, read and follow Mortensen's 'Pictorial Lighting' book. I got it this week. Mortensen is concise, he identified my problem in 1935 and shows the solution. I will be implementing his ideas about lighting next week.

I think this thread got lost in the mumbo, perhaps it needs some bumps, perhaps all our experts know it all and don't see the need, or only shoot outside. Hard to say.

To repeat I would love this new sub forum.

StoneNYC
18-Apr-2015, 10:30
Forgot to vote as well, I do LF nude work, so I didn't count that as "portraiture" so I selected "large objects" although the models are not often "large" they are smaller than cars and bigger than faces.

I use strobe lighting, soft boxes, reflectors, and beauty dishes generally.

analoguey
18-Apr-2015, 11:27
Yes. -That would be my vote. However can't vote on tapatalk, so will have to be whenever I get onto the PC.

I do shoot LF portraits with speedlights. So would be fun to see what else is being done!

StoneNYC
18-Apr-2015, 14:17
Yes. -That would be my vote. However can't vote on tapatalk, so will have to be whenever I get onto the PC.

I do shoot LF portraits with speedlights. So would be fun to see what else is being done!

Well I think this isn't really about image sharing, it's about problem solving and ideas?

You'll have to come to a show to see the good stuff ;)

brucetaylor
18-Apr-2015, 14:27
I think it could be helpful to share ideas, tips and techniques specific to artificial lights in the studio. Lighting and lighting control in the studio is a huge subject. I enjoy it and wish I was better at it. I use hot lights, classic fresnels, softlights, flags, scrims, etc. Always a fun time.

Tim Meisburger
18-Apr-2015, 17:07
I voted yes. I see the point that lighting is not format dependent, and that there are many other forums and resources on the internet that cover this subject. But I don't go to them. And I do think there are considerations and constraints and solutions relevant to to the slower pace of LF that are not covered elsewhere. If shooting digital it is easy to chimp (is that the word?) or review on a monitor, and use big studio strobes and bang away, shooting 300 to get one (I do that shooting our cat). There is a lot of interest on the forum in Hurrell and hot lights, etc. because that was a style of work designed and suited to LF. I think there is also a lot of interest in still life lighting (because slow shooters are not disadvantaged in still life), but I guess that is less format specific.

There is a lot of controversy over at the ULF poll thread (the old format wars), but none here, and I think that is because this is not a controversial issue. Anyway, my 2c, for what its worth.

analoguey
21-Apr-2015, 09:06
Well I think this isn't really about image sharing, it's about problem solving and ideas?

You'll have to come to a show to see the good stuff ;)
Yes.
And I mean what I said - I'd love to see what people are doing with artificial light. I don't think we'd have threads discussing techniques without any images - proof of the pudding, picture worth 1000 words etc.,

StoneNYC
21-Apr-2015, 09:53
Yes.
And I mean what I said - I'd love to see what people are doing with artificial light. I don't think we'd have threads discussing techniques without any images - proof of the pudding, picture worth 1000 words etc.,

I'm not allowed to show my studio lighting work here...

analoguey
22-Apr-2015, 13:20
I voted yes. I see the point that lighting is not format dependent, and that there are many other forums and resources on the internet that cover this subject. But I don't go to them. And I do think there are considerations and constraints and solutions relevant to to the slower pace of LF that are not covered elsewhere. If shooting digital it is easy to chimp (is that the word?) or review on a monitor, and use big studio strobes and bang away, shooting 300 to get one (I do that shooting our cat). There is a lot of interest on the forum in Hurrell and hot lights, etc. because that was a style of work designed and suited to LF. I think there is also a lot of interest in still life lighting (because slow shooters are not disadvantaged in still life), but I guess that is less format specific.

There is a lot of controversy over at the ULF poll thread (the old format wars), but none here, and I think that is because this is not a controversial issue. Anyway, my 2c, for what its worth.

+1
to pretty much all of it.
(although I havent shot my cat on LF with speed lights. That should be an interesting experience!)

Ralph Barker
26-Apr-2015, 08:51
This new sub-forum has been created for your posting and reading pleasure.

Jim Noel
26-Apr-2015, 08:58
Somehow, I missed this thread.

My biggest problem is studio work with ULF, LF and anything these days. I did better 15 years ago with 2 Totas. In frustration I bought more gear. See below.

I also want to shoot urban and forest with giant flash bulbs, I have been collecting them for use. One astute member dropped in and gifted me one very large amber flash bulb, which is so pretty it is now a display, too rare to use.

Peter De Smidt has been very helpful, as he recommended I find, read and follow Mortensen's 'Pictorial Lighting' book. I got it this week. Mortensen is concise, he identified my problem in 1935 and shows the solution. I will be implementing his ideas about lighting next week.

I think this thread got lost in the mumbo, perhaps it needs some bumps, perhaps all our experts know it all and don't see the need, or only shoot outside. Hard to say.

To repeat I would love this new sub forum.

And Mortensen's methods are very inexpensive when compared with strobe units. I have used his methods since I was in high school during WWII.

Tim Meisburger
26-Apr-2015, 09:04
Thank you Ralph!

Tin Can
26-Apr-2015, 09:54
All good!

Posting something different there shortly.

Mark Sawyer
26-Apr-2015, 10:12
I think we need a new sub-forum for pixies...

Ralph Barker
26-Apr-2015, 14:23
I think we need a new sub-forum for pixies...

Pixies are in the "Everything Else" sub-forum, unless photographed with LF or ULF. ;-)

chyobrian
26-Apr-2015, 19:39
We have had a couple of suggestions for new sub-forums, so we thought we’d get some data on the level of general interest and potential participation.

I was given a nice light tent which is fantastic
http://rockbullet.tk/105/o.png

analoguey
27-Apr-2015, 13:09
Thank you, Ralph!

prendt
28-Apr-2015, 13:00

Undoubtedly, the greatest positive step on this forum for at least the last 5 years. Or 10?