PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to seamless "paper"

macandal
11-Apr-2015, 17:02
A project I'm going to be working on would require going through rolls of seamless by the dozen, and, because of the nature of the project, I'm not sure it would be strong enough to all the abuse it would take (lots of moving, jumping, etc). Anyway, is there an alternative to seamless paper? Something stronger? I know there is muslin, but even that, I think, would not be strong enough--but I could be wrong.

Can some of you offer some suggestions? Share your experiences?

Thanks.

vinny
11-Apr-2015, 17:37
wooden cyc

Alan Gales
11-Apr-2015, 17:40
I have seen shots of photographer's studios where they had a wall that seamlessly turned into the floor.

Someone here in St. Louis was trying to rent one out. You might check around your area.

macandal
11-Apr-2015, 17:45
wooden cyc

What is this?

I have seen shots of photographer's studios where they had a wall that seamlessly turned into the floor.

I wish I could afford something like this.

Has anyone worked with vinyl?

vinny
11-Apr-2015, 18:33
http://lancashirestudiohire.com/2011/07/how-to-build-an-infinity-wall-curve-cyclorama/
It's a wooden cyclorama. They've been around for a long time and can be made out of 1x3's and luan plywood. Paint it chroma key green and you can select any color in post (if you're finishing with digital files). Otherwise you could build two sets and shoot one color while the other color is drying. Very durable. What are you shooting that you require the durability?

Alan Gales
11-Apr-2015, 18:39
More info: https://greghren.wordpress.com/tag/how-to-build-a-cyc-wall/

It could be pretty reasonable if you did it yourself. Maybe you could build a small version in your garage or basement.

lenser
11-Apr-2015, 19:13
You don't mention if you will use multiple colors, but the Chroma green would work around that as suggested.

When I had my portrait studio, another friend had experimented with upside down linoleum glued from ceiling to floor and formed over a 2 foot radius cyclorama curve at the base and on out for six feet of floor length. I adopted the same technique with total success. The exposed underside was painted with the whitest epoxy paint made at that time and was very smooth and easy to clean. The floor took a great deal of abuse due to the epoxy paint and needed cleaning only a couple of times per month and never scuffed enough to worry about. I repainted the floor part only twice in the many years I used this set up.

It was also a great base to use seamless paper on as the smooth floor surface helped to keep the paper from either tearing or producing much wear.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 19:25
More info: https://greghren.wordpress.com/tag/how-to-build-a-cyc-wall/

It could be pretty reasonable if you did it yourself. Maybe you could build a small version in your garage or basement.

I wish I had not seen this. :)

iWant!

Alan Gales
11-Apr-2015, 19:39
I wish I had not seen this. :)

iWant!

I know you have skills, Randy. You ought to build one! :cool:

SergeiR
11-Apr-2015, 20:06
Cycle walls are pain in... to keep clean. Just fyi...

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 21:19
I have no room.

next life...

Bill Burk
11-Apr-2015, 23:36
All the kids in my town have one.... They skateboard on them.

Maybe shoot on location at a local skatepark.

Alan Gales
12-Apr-2015, 09:52
I have no room.

next life...

I know that feeling oh so well! :)

macandal
12-Apr-2015, 10:34
It's a wooden cyclorama. They've been around for a long time and can be made out of 1x3's and luan plywood. Paint it chroma key green and you can select any color in post (if you're finishing with digital files). Otherwise you could build two sets and shoot one color while the other color is drying. Very durable. What are you shooting that you require the durability?

The cyclorama is out of the question. I don't have the room nor the skills to build one and it would be overkill for my project.

The reason that I don't want to use paper is that my model(s) will be constantly moving, jumping, etc, and it's going to tear the paper rather quickly. That's why I started investigating other materials for seamless. On eBay I found vinyl and I thought that could work. That's why I was wondering if anyone had used it before. Either vinyl or some other form of "plastic." Something reusable, something strong.

I'm working in film so any "post" will be done in the wet darkroom. I need the background to be white.

Thanks.

Tin Can
12-Apr-2015, 10:43
The cyclorama is out of the question. I don't have the room nor the skills to build one and it would be overkill for my project.

The reason that I don't want to use paper is that my model(s) will be constantly moving, jumping, etc, and it's going to tear the paper rather quickly. That's why I started investigating other materials for seamless. On eBay I found vinyl and I thought that could work. That's why I was wondering if anyone had used it before. Either vinyl or some other form of "plastic." Something reusable, something strong.

I'm working in film so any "post" will be done in the wet darkroom. I need the background to be white.

Thanks.

You mean you don't 'fix' film in Photoshop?

Heretic! This are Modern Times (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Times_%28film%29). Charlie Chaplin reference and link.

Kidding :)

maybe

Fred L
12-Apr-2015, 12:22
It's pricey but you could look at truckers tarps. Heavy pvc but it tends to be dull glossy finish, sty least mine is. Comes in whatever size you order as the seams are rf welded. get them to roll it up so no folds.

tbh, it really does sound like you need a the cyc. You should be able to find a carpenter or builder to do it. You would need forms for the radius and 1/4 plywood with scarfs on the backside to allow for the curve. If you anticipate a model being very active, I can't think of anything else that will allow stand up in this situation.

If butt joints aren't a problem and you have the funds, perhaps look at uhmw sheets. Some call them buckboards. Most people I know use them for hauling traditional winter camping gear (hot tent and wood stove). I believe they come in 8x10 sheets for sure and can form a radius. Only thing is, the slip factor may be high so not sure about a model humping on it, unless you roughed up the surface.

HMG
12-Apr-2015, 13:04
I was thinking nylon or canvas, but the slip factor for anything that easily slides on the floor underneath will be significant.

jp
12-Apr-2015, 15:15
Wonder if typar or tyvek would be available in the width you want? It is pretty strong and used as semipermanent house siding in rural areas here.

HMG
12-Apr-2015, 15:31
Wonder if typar or tyvek would be available in the width you want? It is pretty strong and used as semipermanent house siding in rural areas here.

I comes in 8' widths. But I've never seen it without printing that might show through the other side. Would be slippery too.

Fred L
12-Apr-2015, 16:28
ok, not sure if you've investigated this or not but how about booking studio time at a place that has a cyclorama ? This would be the easiest, but possibly not the least expensive option. San Fran must be chock a block with studios

SergeiR
12-Apr-2015, 16:31
*sighs*

Get paper. Hang as usual. Then get plastic sheets - acrylic or even plexy. Drop them on the floor where paper already flat. Affix with tape. Light properly for white background. That will last forever, until someone scratches it with furniture or with freaky metal heels. Then you toss away damaged sheet, and repeat.

Tin Can
12-Apr-2015, 16:41
*sighs*

Get paper. Hang as usual. Then get plastic sheets - acrylic or even plexy. Drop them on the floor where paper already flat. Affix with tape. Light properly for white background. That will last forever, until someone scratches it with furniture or with freaky metal heels. Then you toss away damaged sheet, and repeat.

Once again you have simple solution. This I can do.

Now I need to find freaky metal heels and owner.

:)

12 years ago I shot fashion with D70 here, it was not so crowded then, no darkroom. I simply pulled paper roll down to floor and then out 12 feet and taped, but heels always ruined paper and PS was PITA.

SergeiR
12-Apr-2015, 17:47
Yep. I hate seamless backroungs. Even paper always getting dirty.

(trick with plastic sheets - learned it from one of studios in Russia i used to rent for workshops quite a bit)

jonreid
13-Apr-2015, 04:19
Have a look at a material called Translum, made by Savage. It's a translucent plastic, about twice as thick as a shower curtain. Easy to cut, cleanable. I really prefer it over paper.

macandal
14-Apr-2015, 09:53
When they were remodeling our house, they used some form of material to cover the outside of the house (in black), and they used some of this material inside as well, to "laminate" the walls. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like leather or a form of rubber. It's about 1/16 to 1/8 in thickness. I'm thinking that maybe I can use some of the white material for my purposes. Would anyone know the name of that material?

adelorenzo
14-Apr-2015, 11:35
Hurley Proboard would be an option to consider:

http://hurleyprogear.com/gear/proboard

HMG
14-Apr-2015, 11:45
When they were remodeling our house, they used some form of material to cover the outside of the house (in black), and they used some of this material inside as well, to "laminate" the walls. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like leather or a form of rubber. It's about 1/16 to 1/8 in thickness. I'm thinking that maybe I can use some of the white material for my purposes. Would anyone know the name of that material?

Your description sounds somewhat like roofing felt. If so, I'd be surprised as this is a very unacceptable use (for a home) that will result in significant damage by trapping moisture. Anything used to cover the outside of the house should be breathable (as are Tyvek and other housewraps). If your remodel was inspected, ask the building department. If it wasn't, then take a sample to someone to find out what it is (seriously).

Neal Chaves
14-Apr-2015, 17:37
I can rent this studio for $35/hr. for stills. It is just a few miles away from me but on the wrong coast for you.

http://www.digitalthunderdome.com/studio---rentals.html