PDA

View Full Version : Why is everything we write republished without attribution????

Tin Can
10-Apr-2015, 23:12
I just found my words and yours on this site.

http://newscentral.exsees.com/item/82c4c6c1f462a7703675da1e790c0b12-e7e7f8159e03afce0ad0a117e2509a4d

I am not blaming this forum, as most likely this is just plain theft, or is it perfectly normal?

I see my words but not my name...

mdm
10-Apr-2015, 23:31
Nothing to worry about, it's all crap anyway.

Tin Can
10-Apr-2015, 23:33
Nothing to worry about, it's all crap anyway.

We know that, but now it's double crap to infinity and beyond!

Mark Sawyer
10-Apr-2015, 23:43
We know that, but now it's double crap to infinity and beyond!

I think you're seriously underestimating how sad and depraved the internet really is...

Tin Can
10-Apr-2015, 23:49
I think you're seriously underestimating how sad and depraved the internet really is...

No, but I was just looking myself up and all the 100's of bots just like me.

I am actually a dead policeman in Minnesota, same age, same name, same state...

I taught Tommy Moe every thing he knows and I can beat him in Downhill.

analoguey
11-Apr-2015, 02:47
Even this thread is published there!! Aggregator like Y! was before?

paulr
11-Apr-2015, 07:05
It's just trying to draw clicks to sell google ads. The more sophisticated google's algorithms get, the harder it will be for anyone to make money off of this.

The victims of this b.s. aren't the people whose words were used; it's the people whose time was wasted while they were looking for real content.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 07:12
:(.

Taija71A
11-Apr-2015, 08:22

"You don't write because you want to say something...
You write because you have something to say."

~~ F. Scott Fitzgerald. ~~

djdister
11-Apr-2015, 08:30

http://newscentral.exsees.com/item/82c4c6c1f462a7703675da1e790c0b12-e7e7f8159e03afce0ad0a117e2509a4d

I am not blaming this forum, as most likely this is just plain theft, or is it perfectly normal?

Quite simply it is sitejacking and adverstealing in the guise of a content aggregator.

invisibleflash
11-Apr-2015, 13:31
Fair use.

Corran
11-Apr-2015, 19:11
Fair use.

Nope.

I wouldn't worry about it but I assume the site could still be reported by the higher-ups here and get taken down. Probably not worth the effort.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Apr-2015, 19:35
Fair use.

I'm afraid not. Wholesale quoting of the work is not fair use.

dsphotog
11-Apr-2015, 20:06
Be glad it's not somehow being used against you.
Just hope it brings Central Camera some business.

djdister
11-Apr-2015, 21:08
Nope.

I wouldn't worry about it but I assume the site could still be reported by the higher-ups here and get taken down. Probably not worth the effort.

Probably not possible. That site domain is registered in Israel.

Corran
11-Apr-2015, 21:10
Didn't check that but yes of course it's off-shore. No surprise.

Honestly I don't think anyone would find the site accidentally.

Jim Noel
12-Apr-2015, 08:17
Even copyrighted materials are often stolen and reprinted without attribution. The cost of prosecution prevents all but the most well off from doing so. Even when suits are brought, they are often either lost or thrown out of court. I gave up copyrighting photographs and articles years ago because of this. This is the reason I never put an image on any site, including in e-mails to my family. I don't view thievery as flattery.

Tin Can
13-Apr-2015, 13:24
I don't think this forum does this, but this may explain the larger game.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2908869/big-data/twitters-firehose-shut-off-is-the-newest-hazard-of-the-api-economy.html?phint=newt%3Dinfoworld_daily&phint=idg_eid%3D1acf31ce05db55f1de62d3fa456ecb42#tk.IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2015-04-13

ic-racer
13-Apr-2015, 20:36
Why is everything we write republished without attribution????

Copying public forum conversation by an automated spam-bot is "publishing?"

Tin Can
13-Apr-2015, 20:41
If not, what is it then?

A person initiated the bot.

Drew Bedo
14-Apr-2015, 05:52
I try to look at participating in any forum as though we were in a coffee shop or other public space, where my comments may be heard by anyone. I do a search on my name once in a while, and once was surprised to find an entry from a funeral register we signed!

kleinbatavia
14-Apr-2015, 08:30

Never looked at the small print of this site, but rest assured it is not just the internet. A while back I got a call from a friend asking me about my name in national geographic magazine (print version too). This took me by surprise as I had not been asked to contribute for the particular issue (or topic for that matter). I went to the local newsagent, had a look and sure enough, I was in it with a quote, name, etc. The "funny" thing is that the text they ran was part of an article that they had pulled from the internet and edited to suit their needs. It now also included me publicly disagreeing with the content of an article by another author whom I had never even heard of, let alone read. Upon me calling in to ask them what was happening I was eventually transferred to one of their senior editors. "We did not have your contact details, but we have attributed it to your name so it is all good" was what he had to say. Along with something along the lines that every scientist/photographer wants to be in the magazine. When I requested that they at least rectify me disagreeing with someone or something unknown to me, they said it was not possible.

End of rant, but it illustrates what happens if you publish anything, anywhere... And no, it is not just shady characters infringing on copyright, it seems to be common practice these days.

ic-racer
15-Apr-2015, 14:32
If not, what is it then?

I will place this on my resume...I'm published :)

rdenney
15-Apr-2015, 14:49
Yes, it's illegal. No, it is not something we are doing or that we condone. No, there is nothing we can do about it. It is the price of having a public say on a topic.

Now, that National Geographic story is another matter. I think I would have my attorney give them a call if they misrepresented my views, with the minimum expectation of publishing a letter to the editor and the initial request to publish a retraction. Normally, a magazine who mis-represents the views of someone they quote will publish a letter to the editor from that person, which at least allows that person to state their views. There's a way to write this to make the person quoted look good, but many ways to write it that make the person look bad. Caution required.

Rick "whose words have been found in some pretty unlikely places" Denney

Tin Can
15-Apr-2015, 14:58
I will place this on my resume...I'm published :)

At least we are not in Print...

All my images posted here contain my email for better or for worse...

kleinbatavia
16-Apr-2015, 03:25
Yes, it's illegal. No, it is not something we are doing or that we condone. No, there is nothing we can do about it. It is the price of having a public say on a topic.

Now, that National Geographic story is another matter. I think I would have my attorney give them a call if they misrepresented my views, with the minimum expectation of publishing a letter to the editor and the initial request to publish a retraction. Normally, a magazine who mis-represents the views of someone they quote will publish a letter to the editor from that person, which at least allows that person to state their views. There's a way to write this to make the person quoted look good, but many ways to write it that make the person look bad. Caution required.

Rick "whose words have been found in some pretty unlikely places" Denney

Good morning Rick,

You're right, which is why I called in to see what they were thinking. The situation is a bit of a catch 22... On other occasions, I contribute to the magazine, which I would like to keep doing for the foreseeable future as it provides me with a good reference. That said, I increasingly feel that the whole NatGeo concept is well past what it started off as and am tempted to part ways with them. As a legacy of a past professional life, I am well aware of the legal proceedings that are possible as well as how to go about getting matters sorted. However, at this stage, I would much prefer to keep a low key and not ruin my commercial opportunity. I have forwarded a registered letter to someone I know near board level to request publishing an errata with regard to the quote. If the could just do that, all is fine as I am concerned. If not, which is entirely possible, I will spend more effort on finding alternative sources to work with in the future.

It's a small world, no one needs to have a lot of friends, but it is particularly important not to have enemies...

Willie
8-May-2015, 07:59
You might start working on a lawsuit against Google for using our images in their Search engine. They won in court the right to post them as a 'search' engine and performing some kind of positive public service.

What is not addressed is they strip all the metadata and Identification information from the images - including copyright notices in this information. Seems they are running afoul of US Copyright laws in this. Wish someone would go after them and force them to stop taking the information from the photographs. Still don't like them being able to post them without my permission but if they are allowed to do so they should keep my contact information where I put it with the images.

Jerry Bodine
8-May-2015, 14:17
Everything? To he best of my knowledge, no one has ever found sufficient value in anything I've written to even consider pilfering it.

Tin Can
8-May-2015, 14:20
Everything? To he best of my knowledge, no one has ever found sufficient value in anything I've written to even consider pilfering it.

It's all in your Permanent Record.

They do keep track.

axs810
17-May-2015, 01:33

Did this site copy the whole forum or just select posts? I'm unable to view the whole site because I have noscripts and ghostery running on my internet browser

jnantz
17-May-2015, 06:46

randy
i don't really think there is anything one can do about data harvesting sites ..
what irks me though is when actual PEOPLE, not robots will regurgitate things
they read and claim it is their own. i remember many years ago a former website where the owner
boiler plated text off of someone else's website website, typed it word for word ...
on the english version of their website ( both were forum members ).

and then there are the folks who create a persona by regurgitating other peoples ideas + experiences
so their audience thinks they are brilliant and experienced. i remember a guy named michael scarpetti
years ago used to go on and on and on about all sorts of stuff, but if you were lucky enough
to find images HE made ( not ones he posted as examples of his work ) you thought it was a different person.

invisibleflash
17-May-2015, 06:51

Fair Use

Corran
17-May-2015, 07:31
Fair use.

Fair Use

Wrong back in April, still wrong now.

Jac@stafford.net
17-May-2015, 08:06
Fair Use

It is very difficult to determine fair use or copyright infringement on general principles. Often overlooked is the fact regarding copyright (and of course fair use) is that every instance is taken on a case-by-case basis. Further, cases that look alike can have different judgements as the courts consider changing social and technology characteristics.

The emergence of mash-ups and authoritative or at lease very well constructed arguments for them is changing the landscape of copyright, legal thinking.

Wholesale copying of a forum seems so ubiquitous that I'm frankly stunned, but legal rationale is more intimidating.

Jac@stafford.net
17-May-2015, 09:50
i remember a guy named michael scarpetti
years ago used to go on and on and on about all sorts of stuff

Scarpitti, yes, and the scarey part was his sig where he claimed to be a Nuclear Inspector.

dsphotog
22-May-2015, 18:11
It means LF film photography is still relevant !

invisibleflash
23-May-2015, 05:33
It is very difficult to determine fair use or copyright infringement on general principles. Often overlooked is the fact regarding copyright (and of course fair use) is that every instance is taken on a case-by-case basis. Further, cases that look alike can have different judgements as the courts consider changing social and technology characteristics.

The emergence of mash-ups and authoritative or at lease very well constructed arguments for them is changing the landscape of copyright, legal thinking.

Wholesale copying of a forum seems so ubiquitous that I'm frankly stunned, but legal rationale is more intimidating.

Usually it depends on $$.

No $, limited & education use = fair use.

Bad news for the pretentious photog that thinks the world revolves around them.

Corran
26-May-2015, 19:53
No $ [...] = fair use.

Wrong, yet again!

http://www.publiccounsel.org/tools/publications/files/fairuse.pdf

Here's an entire publication about FU for non-profits. See #17, "Common misunderstandings about fair use," bullet point #3.

Mark Sawyer
27-May-2015, 00:12
I think it's just a case of "mirror everything and you'll get at least a few hits for your advertising revenue stream", combined with "yeah, go ahead and sue me for whatever, my web site is in Nigeria..."

The modern business model is to set up a trillion web sites that each make a penny, one millionth of a cent at a time...

Jac@stafford.net
27-May-2015, 06:36
Wrong, yet again!

http://www.publiccounsel.org/tools/publications/files/fairuse.pdf

To add to your argument, that excellent article first refers to the non-profit status of the organization. One measure of fair use is the economic impact upon the copyright holder regardless of the status of the organization. So if a public university bundles my work into a hand-out while the same work was available in the school bookshop I might have a case in court.

From the article: In general, ask yourself: Could my use of this copyrighted work potentially affect the sales of this work? If so, it’s likely not a fair use.