PDA

View Full Version : Film Development in the UK (16x20)

Dignum
5-Apr-2015, 08:27
Hello,

On April 15th I'll be leaving for my first overseas trip to the UK with large format equipment. I'll be bringing both my 8x10 and 16x20 cameras. My biggest concern is my film getting fogged by the X ray machines. I found plenty of labs that will process 8x10, but none that will process 16x20 B&W. I thought maybe I could bring developing equipment and do it all in a hotel bathroom, but that seems rather difficult. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated : ) Does anyone have experience in traveling overseas with ULf equipment?

Thanks,
Shane Dignum

dave_whatever
5-Apr-2015, 09:05
I doubt you'll find a UK lab doing 16x20, in fact I'd put good money on it. You might have better luck finding a local darkroom, Ilford have a darkroom finder site that might be handy:
http://www.localdarkroom.com

Tobias Key
5-Apr-2015, 09:58
If you were in London you could try Photofusion, they have darkroom hire.

Dignum
5-Apr-2015, 15:12
Thank you both for the responses. I checked photo fusion and they don't allow film processing in their darkroom. I'll see what I can find on the ilford darkroom finder site. I'm shooting with FP4 and HP5... Not too worried about about the FP4 but the 400 speed HP5 will probably be the issue. Does anyone have x ray experience with HP5?

IanG
6-Apr-2015, 09:23
HP5 is fine with airport carry on scanners for many multiple passes, the UK airport scanners are totally safe for all films even the 3200's etc. I regularly fly with HP5 and Delta 400.

Ian

bob carnie
6-Apr-2015, 09:53
Did you try Metro Imaging for large film process?

Tobias Key
6-Apr-2015, 10:27
Other places you could try would be Robin Bell or Downtown Darkroom. They are both B&W only labs with pretty amazing clientele. If they don't do it they would know who might.

pierre506
6-Apr-2015, 15:33
Dear Shane, there are few ULF uesers and LFF members in the UK. They might provide the developing process if their locations were on your trip routine.
It's a nightmare that you are bringing the two systems with the developing equipment overseas.
Lenses, accessories, films, empty boxes, tripod systems, chemicals, your personal clothes... HORRIBLE!
However, it's no problem if you were a big boss with many assistants.
Pierre

Dignum
6-Apr-2015, 21:24
HP5 is fine with airport carry on scanners for many multiple passes, the UK airport scanners are totally safe for all films even the 3200's etc. I regularly fly with HP5 and Delta 400.

Thank you Ian. I'm glad to hear that. I've read multiple reports on people being absolutely certain that multiple x rays won't harm 400 speed film. It's just those 3-4 negative reports that worry me. But I appreciate your comment.

Ian

Did you try Metro Imaging for large film process?

Bob,

I contacted Metro Imaging and couple weeks back and they do not process anything over 8x10. However, they did refer me to Bayeux.co.uk, but I have yet to recieve a response from them.

Other places you could try would be Robin Bell or Downtown Darkroom. They are both B&W only labs with pretty amazing clientele. If they don't do it they would know who might.

Tobias,

Great. Thanks for the info. I will contact them shortly.

Dear Shane, there are few ULF uesers and LFF members in the UK. They might provide the developing process if their locations were on your trip routine.
It's a nightmare that you are bringing the two systems with the developing equipment overseas.
Lenses, accessories, films, empty boxes, tripod systems, chemicals, your personal clothes... HORRIBLE!
However, it's no problem if you were a big boss with many assistants.
Pierre

Pierre,

It's not as bad as one might think. My Carry on is my 8x10 + lenses. My assistant carries on the film. My checked bag is a large Pelican for the 16x20 camera, 16x20 film holders and 8x10 film holders. My assistant Checks our bag with clothing and camping gear. The only additional bag I have is a hard case for my tripod which works for both systems. BTW "my assistant" happens to be my girlfriend :D

Thank you all for the responses, they are very helpful.

Hugo Zhang
6-Apr-2015, 22:04
Shane,

A Jobo 2850 tank and a Harrison jumbo tent won't add too much weight to your luggage. You can unload the sheets in the tent and develop, fix and wash the sheets in the tank. If you can ship the chemicals to your hotels, that will help a lot.

Just in case you can't find a darkroom to do it in UK.

Hugo

Dignum
7-Apr-2015, 07:42
Hey Hugo,

Thanks for the camera : ). I've never actually used the jobo system, I've had great consistency developing single sheets in trays. But that is a good idea, maybe I'll purchase one when I return.

IanG
8-Apr-2015, 00:12
Shane, some of us (in the UK) are part of the Ilford Local Darkroom scheme and might be able to help you out. Tray processing would be no problem in my darkroom but it's unlikely I'm in the right location.

Ian

pierre506
8-Apr-2015, 03:38
Dear Shane, you must have a very strong GF. I brought my 12x20 system out. It's full of my Sedan.
So, it's a daydream for me to shoot & develop larger than 12x20 abroad.

C Henry
23-Apr-2015, 12:51
Try Melvin Cambettie Davies at Mastermono, in London. http://www.mastermono.co.uk/site/. He's knowledgeable, experienced, and a really nice guy.

Car