PDA

View Full Version : Roll paper vs Cut Sheet

bob carnie
2-Apr-2015, 09:50
Hi All

I am using roll and cut sheet and I have to say I absolutely hate roll paper due to its curl near the end of a roll , basically the last 20 ft...

Can anyone lead me to large cut sheet papers , I am thinking in the range of 24 x36 or 30 x40 size..

I am referring of course to inkjet papers. but I have the same issues with silver papers on rolls.

Old-N-Feeble
2-Apr-2015, 10:06
Can't one just roll the paper backwards onto another tube for awhile to counteract the curl?

bob carnie
2-Apr-2015, 10:20
no

Can't one just roll the paper backwards onto another tube for awhile to counteract the curl?

Drew Wiley
2-Apr-2015, 10:40
I sure miss cut sheet in 30x40. Guess they wanted to reduce the number of SKU's they wanted to contend with. Bean-counters doing their thing, trying to reduce
overhead.

Tyler Boley
2-Apr-2015, 10:44
with the papers that had the most persistent curl, I'd make a cut job of most of the roll at the largest size store flat, say 4 ft., and use that for jobs. So I've have a bunch of 44x~48 sheets stored flat. Learned that from Cone. Obviously there may be more eventual waste, but I needed a lot of scrap for linearizations and tests anyway..
As you mention, the last part of the roll, this is the biggest help. Larger prints, just has to be lived with.

Drew Wiley
2-Apr-2015, 10:57
With RA4 paper I have to cut it down into sheets and put it into a flat paper safe. A chore.

bob carnie
2-Apr-2015, 11:11
thats a good idea , do you use the printers cutter or do you cut manually off the roll
with the papers that had the most persistent curl, I'd make a cut job of most of the roll at the largest size store flat, say 4 ft., and use that for jobs. So I've have a bunch of 44x~48 sheets stored flat. Learned that from Cone. Obviously there may be more eventual waste, but I needed a lot of scrap for linearizations and tests anyway..
As you mention, the last part of the roll, this is the biggest help. Larger prints, just has to be lived with.

Lenny Eiger
2-Apr-2015, 11:14
no

Bob,

I do this all the time. I just take a core form an empty roll, tape a piece of paper to it along the edge, maybe 3-4 inches in width, slide the other paper on it and rub a little to generate a bit of warmth. Curl comes out...

Lenny

bob carnie
2-Apr-2015, 11:38
I am sure it works but the back end of bartya roll or a roll that is around gives the printer head too much pressure on the print head... I am sure if I laid the prints down and pumped up the humidity
things would be hunky dory. If I can humidify 3000sq ft that is 0 to the 40 % where I would like to be.
In Toronto from November 15 to around April 16 the humidity level is around 0 which I am sure not the issue on the coast.
I am moving my print machines into a humidity controlled (year round) for the next winter , I will store my papers in this room as well.

I do a lot of cut sheet work and love it compared to the handling of roll stock...

though I do like Tyler's idea of cut to size and put in box pre loading the paper with a ton of ink,, skuff marks are the bane of matt papers IMHO

Bob,

I do this all the time. I just take a core form an empty roll, tape a piece of paper to it along the edge, maybe 3-4 inches in width, slide the other paper on it and rub a little to generate a bit of warmth. Curl comes out...

Lenny

jp
2-Apr-2015, 12:27
I use my mat cutter to chop down rolls or large sheets.

Probably impractical for big stuff, but my drymount press will flatten out anything that fits in it.

Tyler Boley
2-Apr-2015, 12:57
I just used the printer's cutter Bob

also, using sheets allows a pre-brush with those flakey matte papers

bob carnie
2-Apr-2015, 13:25
thanks I am going to give this a go.

I just used the printer's cutter Bob

also, using sheets allows a pre-brush with those flakey matte papers

Michael Rosenberg
2-Apr-2015, 15:15
Bob

I cut the sheet to size and then flatten it in my dry mount press (can do up to 24x30) with heat 5 min. No more curl.

Mike

John Layton
2-Apr-2015, 18:11
Bob, I noticed recently that B+H lists 50 Sheet boxes of New Classic Multigrade FB in 30x40. I've also been dealing with large rolls, so was very excited to see this...until I noticed that they call for a minimum order of something like 15 boxes (at over 700. per).

At any rate...I'd go for one box, and perhaps two (ouch!) - but perhaps we could get a group purchase together? Just a thought!

John Layton
2-Apr-2015, 18:15
...of course I'm talking silver here - (just realized...never mind!). But you do say you have the same problems with silver papers, so I'll leave my post as is.

Drew Wiley
3-Apr-2015, 11:38
I noticed that. But it's that damn min order requirement. And Classic is a bit finicky. It's so responsive in the highlights that if you don't quickly immerse the ENTIRE
print in your stop bath and put it to work immediately/consistently, you end up seeing uneven dev in the skies or smooth skintones etc. Same with Cooltone. That
kind of timing becomes trickier the bigger the print is, not to mention even more fussy issues with anything like brown toner. I'm still scheming how to do it efficiently. In the meantime, think I stay 20x24 or smaller.

Tyler Boley
3-Apr-2015, 12:11
started off using all sheets, and back then most papers were available in the size used for Iris drums... but as time went on, many dropped that size, or made the minimum orders too high for us little guys to afford. Now, of course, sizing for Iris is totally irrelevant even though some still make it. Also, now, many prefer prints larger than that, just because they can. I dropped some papers because I could no longer pre-brush, making pristine prints all but impossible from rolls.
I really do prefer sheets for a variety of reasons. The pre-cutting thing worked out well, up to a size limit imposed by available flat storage and/or handling into the printer.

bob carnie
4-Apr-2015, 06:10
hi John

It has always been my dream to be able to walk to my distributer AMPLIS and request 15 boxes of 30 x40 cut sheet for a major show. It will happen someday, I know Harmon will cut specific for any major project and I do understand
their minimum order to make it happen.
My purchase will be Ilford Warmtone Silver for my client , and my second order would be 1000 sheets of 24 x30 Ilford matt for my Solarizations.

I have asked my distributer the minimum order for Hannamuhle Museum Etching and Silk Bartya and am waiting to hear back... Now if anyone within Driving distance of Toronto wants to get in on this group purchase
I am all ears, will be a pretty good price I imagine.

Bob

Bob, I noticed recently that B+H lists 50 Sheet boxes of New Classic Multigrade FB in 30x40. I've also been dealing with large rolls, so was very excited to see this...until I noticed that they call for a minimum order of something like 15 boxes (at over 700. per).

At any rate...I'd go for one box, and perhaps two (ouch!) - but perhaps we could get a group purchase together? Just a thought!

bob carnie
4-Apr-2015, 06:24
Tyler

Not many here would have made Iris Prints , I actually went to the NY show when Graham Nash spent a day showing their first Iris prints, I was sitting beside Mr Whilheim(by chance) that day and a friend of mine bought one from that gathering- he actually ended up calling his daughter Iris she is in University now. I remember the cut sheet availability back then and really would love to see some selection.
I did not get hooked on the process at that point due to the cost of scanners, lack of good PS tools, and basically one needed to invest two homes to make it happen.

It never really worked out well for my friend, he kept the Iris till the bitter end and basically the newer line of printers kicked his ass and he was bitter and would not
bring himself around to understand that buying first on this technology had its good and bad point.

back to flat prints

There is nothing better IMHO than pulling off a flat print and holding it up into the light to see the magic.

I hear what you say about pristine prints being almost impossible from Rolls... I am really going to push or become a squeky wheel on this one..
Sometimes I am making 2 1/2 prints to make one because of skuffing issues and it makes me very mad, and I am sure the Manufacturers very happy.

Bob

started off using all sheets, and back then most papers were available in the size used for Iris drums... but as time went on, many dropped that size, or made the minimum orders too high for us little guys to afford. Now, of course, sizing for Iris is totally irrelevant even though some still make it. Also, now, many prefer prints larger than that, just because they can. I dropped some papers because I could no longer pre-brush, making pristine prints all but impossible from rolls.
I really do prefer sheets for a variety of reasons. The pre-cutting thing worked out well, up to a size limit imposed by available flat storage and/or handling into the printer.

Tyler Boley
6-Apr-2015, 10:13
I never made Iris prints, though I have seen plenty and also seen some color beautiful work on hand made paper in production, and some of the "Digital Platinum" work done with the Iris by Cone for Carl Weese.

The Iris size sheet was the largest sheet available from Hahnemuhle with their 1st inkjet coated papers. We always stocked that size (35" x 46.75") in German Etching, Photo Rag, and William Turner. They still make that size in some stocks, it's just a holdover... It's an odd size to take full advantage of the Iris drum.

Greg Miller
6-Apr-2015, 10:32
I pull the paper out longer than the desired print. Then I use a hair blower dryer on the paper. The heat will take some of the curl out. Then you can re-roll the paper, and print.

bob carnie
17-Apr-2015, 06:27
Ok so after some digging I have found out that I indeed can purchase Full Iris sheets - thanks Tyler-- so now I am stocking Hannamuhle photorag and museum etching in approx 35 x47 cut sheet .. I have pleaded for
a bartya selection. Hannamuhle makes a wonder full silk bartya that I use... minimum order of 13 boxes so its out of my inventory range - but I will keep on being the squeaky wheel.

Cut sheet is much more fun to work with than roll stock I must say... in fact I hate roll stock.. just sayin