PDA

View Full Version : reducing back chamonix 8x10 to 4x5

nede
27-Mar-2015, 09:21
hey,
so I didn't have cash to buy a brand new one (as it's expensive and for the price I can get a little 4x5 camera)
So I took my 10 fingers to make this pretty little monster:
still have to make adjustments and cleaning it up before I put some dark paint.
-springs are from a saw
-"box" and focus screen are from an old 9x12cm camera
-the reducer is put on the 8x10 back, you just have to remove the focusing screen (by putting the spring out their holes)
-still need to adjust focal plane to fit modern holders/ If I can't I will 3d print some devices

hope you enjoy, feel free to asks your questions.

vinny
27-Mar-2015, 09:30
Stone ain't gonna like this!
Wow, that's sketchy!
Why not just build a new black back to attach it to? Removing the gg and all that is silly and you're asking for trouble.
I feel bad. Ship me the chamonix back and i'll make you a new one that fits on the camera.

nede
27-Mar-2015, 10:59
It was just a try, next try would be to make a real back...with real woodand all :)
I will just make one 4x5 negative to try my frankenback and return to my wetplates :)
Dońt worry , and please ton tell Stone!!

StoneNYC
27-Mar-2015, 11:01
Stone ain't gonna like this!
Wow, that's sketchy!
Why not just build a new black back to attach it to? Removing the gg and all that is silly and you're asking for trouble.
I feel bad. Ship me the chamonix back and i'll make you a new one that fits on the camera.

Yes, I agree, my first reaction was... penny wise, pound foolish...

Clever to use the knob Spring attachment to remove the glass though, that makes sense.

It's a Franken-Chammy!

The only mod I did was add a cold shoe to the front standard and added soft pads to the front to prevent scraping.

I think you should just make adult back at this point though, even if you don't actually buy a real one.

I looked/saved for 6 months for a used one and then got one new.

I also regret not buying the 5x7 version that could have come with my 8x10, hadn't realized that could be reduced to 4x5... BUT that then also causes focussing issues for wide angles so ultimately I made the right choice.

Good luck.

nede
27-Mar-2015, 11:05
The genuine reducing back is on my shopping list, if I can get one used some day!!
The biggest thing that bother me is the absence of handle on the top of the camera!!

StoneNYC
27-Mar-2015, 11:28
The genuine reducing back is on my shopping list, if I can get one used some day!!
The biggest thing that bother me is the absence of handle on the top of the camera!!

Yep, me too, but now I've gotten used to grabbing the base plate holes, so it's ok.