PDA

View Full Version : Issues with fp100c in a Polaroid 405

brandon allen
23-Mar-2015, 16:47
So my folding 4x5 build is nearing completion - so near that I can actually use the camera now. I loaded a pack of fp100c in my Polaroid 405 and took some test shots.
131348 they almost all have the same streaking. But some do not.

I realized that the streaks are caused by the paper tabs as they are being pulled up between the rollers along with the film/negative. What might I be able to do to prevent this? I don't see any other way to load the film pack.

Any suggestions?

I have carefully cleaned the rollers and the problem persists, btw.

koh303
23-Mar-2015, 17:05
could be a bad pack, is it fresh?
It could also be a bad set of rollers, where they look clean and in place, but in fact the brackets/tabs are broken off. They are very small and flimsy and that can happen from time to time, even in newer and less used rollers.
So - remove the roller assembly and check to see it is good.

Try another pack and see if it was the one bad pack.

brandon allen
23-Mar-2015, 17:47
could be a bad pack, is it fresh?
It could also be a bad set of rollers, where they look clean and in place, but in fact the brackets/tabs are broken off. They are very small and flimsy and that can happen from time to time, even in newer and less used rollers.
So - remove the roller assembly and check to see it is good.

Try another pack and see if it was the one bad pack.

I bought 5 packs when I started building the camera (thinking that it would be done in a month or two...) and they expired in January of this year. Could be the problem I suppose, but I kinda doubt it. I removed, cleaned and inspected the rollers between packs one and two... I'm on pack three now - no change. I'll do it again when after finishing pack three. They are clean appearing right now.

As mentioned it seems to be related to the tabs getting wadded into the rollers. There are even scratches down the back of the negative (black outer surface) that correspond exactly with the streaks as well as the location of the tabs. It seems that too much stuff is trying to fit between the rollers and the film is being squeezed too tightly as a result - and developer is spread too thinly or some other issue.

Randy Moe
23-Mar-2015, 17:56
Hard to say, but you really need another known good 405 to compare, if you don't know these real well.

It is also possible all your film is heat damaged.

That's the trouble with Fujiroid, you can burn a lot of it until you figure it all out.

Where are you? Find an old camera store guy or something, look for an old guy on Craigslist or a young one that shoots it.

brandon allen
23-Mar-2015, 20:17
Disassembled, cleaned rollers. Put a drop of Teflon lube on each end. No difference. The problems I was having with the tabs feeding properly seem to have improved, but the big center streak is no better. This is a pack and a half later, btw.

I noticed that despite my best efforts, one roller drags a bit while the other seems to spin more freely. Does that seem normal?

I'm beginning to think that the rollers are in fact bad. I guess that means I need a new 405. Any other thoughts? I

Randy Moe
23-Mar-2015, 20:29
Disassembled, cleaned rollers. Put a drop of Teflon lube on each end. No difference. The problems I was having with the tabs feeding properly seem to have improved, but the big center streak is no better. This is a pack and a half later, btw.

I noticed that despite my best efforts, one roller drags a bit while the other seems to spin more freely. Does that seem normal?

I'm beginning to think that the rollers are in fact bad. I guess that means I need a new 405. Any other thoughts? I

One roller does drag, by design, it has resistance from the square cut U shaped retaining springs.

I think you have bad film.

brandon allen
23-Mar-2015, 20:31
Might be. Thanks.

brandon allen
24-Mar-2015, 08:27
I found some new rollers on eBay, I'll get new film too (since I've chewed thru all the stuff I had). If that doesn't fix it - ???

koh303
24-Mar-2015, 11:31
I found some new rollers on eBay, I'll get new film too (since I've chewed thru all the stuff I had). If that doesn't fix it - ???

You might have some cosmic energy on your hands...

brandon allen
24-Mar-2015, 11:33
Darn invisible cosmic forces!!! I hate those!

scm
27-Mar-2015, 18:32
If the tabs are actually coming out between the rollers, the film isn't loaded correctly, the tab pulls out just below (or above or to the side, depending on the orientation) the rollers but doesn't pass through them.

http://stevemidgleyphotography.com/_MG_8206.JPG

http://stevemidgleyphotography.com/_MG_8207.JPG

brandon allen
27-Mar-2015, 18:47
Oh great... Now it works perfectly. AFTER I WASTED FIVE PACKS OF FILM... Proving (of course) that I'm a moron! All kidding aside - thanks for your reply, in one go you completely solved my problem!

Randy Moe
27-Mar-2015, 21:58
Oh great... Now it works perfectly. AFTER I WASTED FIVE PACKS OF FILM... Proving (of course) that I'm a moron! All kidding aside - thanks for your reply, in one go you completely solved my problem!

Good that your problem is fixed but I guess everybody else assumed, as I did that you read the directions on how to load.

Sorry!

And SCM's post proves a picture is woth 1000 words at least!

:)

brandon allen
28-Mar-2015, 13:45
Read directions? Is that some kind of joke? I much prefer burning through $50 worth of film assuming that I know exactly what I'm doing. [emoji16]

brandon allen
28-Mar-2015, 13:48
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate your attempts to help save me from myself!

Randy Moe
28-Mar-2015, 14:56
Read directions? Is that some kind of joke? I much prefer burning through $50 worth of film assuming that I know exactly what I'm doing. [emoji16]

OK, it was your money.

There are 3 choices, you are either an old know it all, a young know it all, or a muddle know it all.

Just kidding! :)

You do know Fuji is selling out...

http://petapixel.com/2015/01/05/fujifilm-selling-off-one-major-film-factories-europe-heres-look-inside/

Perhaps following Kodak's example on how to run a business. Sarcastically speaking! :(

Watch out Randy, incoming...

WayneStevenson
29-Mar-2015, 21:57
Well, at least we all know now what the symptoms of feeding the tabs through the rollers will look like. Hopefully be able to help the next guy out quicker before he gets through his stash. ;)