PDA

View Full Version : nyc lab for 4x5 develop

yuexiachou29
22-Mar-2015, 17:45
Hello

any body has recommendation in terms of good labs in NYC that take good care of developing 4x5 color?

thanks

eabartel
22-Mar-2015, 18:19
hello
I recommend lightside:
http://www.lti-lightside.com
good luck,
andrew

yuexiachou29
22-Mar-2015, 19:16
heard they are good.
thanks for the recommendation.

what other labs do people go?

hello
I recommend lightside:
http://www.lti-lightside.com
good luck,
andrew

vinny
22-Mar-2015, 19:35
Any that are still in business.
C41 or E6?

StoneNYC
22-Mar-2015, 20:29
If you don't mind shipping to upstate NY I HIGHLY recommend Praus Lab., send all my 4x5 and 8x10 color there.

http://www.4photolab.com

yuexiachou29
22-Mar-2015, 20:31
thx for the recommendation. pricy though.

StoneNYC
22-Mar-2015, 20:46
thx for the recommendation. pricy though.

Who's pricey? For 4x5 color he's one of the cheapest I've found, he did have a price increase recently I think, but still, that's color sheet cost man.

yuexiachou29
22-Mar-2015, 20:51
yayy, compare to LTI-lightside, it's 25cents more for 4x5 dev.
my college professor recommended miller's lab, it's even cheaper, like $1.5/sheet 4x5 color.

I think I will give LTI a shot since I've seen a lot of fine art photographers use their service.
thanks for your input, Stone.

StoneNYC
22-Mar-2015, 21:04
yayy, compare to LTI-lightside, it's 25cents more for 4x5 dev.
my college professor recommended miller's lab, it's even cheaper, like $1.5/sheet 4x5 color.

I think I will give LTI a shot since I've seen a lot of fine art photographers use their service.
thanks for your input, Stone.

Thanks, I looked millers up, they don't do 8x10 so it doesn't make sense, and Ya Praus WAS $2.50 for E-6 and $2.75 for C-41 but they recently went up, I suspect it's because he was kodak certified (still is for C-41) but kodak discontinued making E-6 so the fuji E-6 probably costs more or something.

I won't switch now, but I like that LTI prices are all the same across the board per size. And can do 16x20!

Let us now how it goes!

Larry Kellogg
23-Mar-2015, 04:59
I've always had good luck with CRC at 20 West 22nd St. I've had everything up to 5x7 color done there. They do 8x10.

See: http://vistaimaginggroup.com/lab-services/

cdavis324
24-Mar-2015, 04:53
I used to use LTI, but now send my stuff to Praus. He does the same process that LTI calls their "special process" and doesn't charge extra for it... mottle free film for everyone, not just those willing to pay twice as much!

Gary Tarbert
24-Mar-2015, 06:03
When i come to new york in June i am really looking forward to dropping my 50 sheets in and paying $175 and not $500 . Cheers Gary

JChrome
25-Mar-2015, 04:56
I've always had good luck with CRC at 20 West 22nd St. I've had everything up to 5x7 color done there. They do 8x10.

See: http://vistaimaginggroup.com/lab-services/

I've used them for some time. And they are ok. I had some 120 negs messed up (it was a few years ago and I don't remember the problem exactly, I think some hardened fix spots that I asked them to wash off again).

But I believe it's $4 per sheet for dev and sleeve C41 for 4x5 which is more reasonable than some of the others.

CropDusterMan
25-Mar-2015, 06:36
Chelsea Photographic services...they used to be called Chelsea Labs I think...

I'm pretty sure these were the guys we used back in the early 2000's....lots of good photogs used them...
Jim Nachtwey for one.

Another is MV Labs
4 West 37th St., 5th Fl (Bell 5)
New York City NY 10018

It's owned by James Megargee...he printed and processed for a lot of the heavyweights such as Leibovitz

vinny
25-Mar-2015, 07:12
I've used them for some time. And they are ok. I had some 120 negs messed up (it was a few years ago and I don't remember the problem exactly, I think some hardened fix spots that I asked them to wash off again).

But I believe it's $4 per sheet for dev and sleeve C41 for 4x5 which is more reasonable than some of the others.

fwiw, I've heard the bad cases of every lab in los angeles messing up someone's film at one time or another. This got cross processed, those negs got spots on them, etc. I'm speaking of A&I, The Icon, Samys', etc. Everyone makes mistakes in the dark, I know I have.

JChrome
25-Mar-2015, 08:42
fwiw, I've heard the bad cases of every lab in los angeles messing up someone's film at one time or another. This got cross processed, those negs got spots on them, etc. I'm speaking of A&I, The Icon, Samys', etc. Everyone makes mistakes in the dark, I know I have.

Fair enough. This has happened more than I would expect though which is why I noted it.

vinny
25-Mar-2015, 08:47
Fair enough. This has happened more than I would expect though which is why I noted it.
yeah, that certainly doesn't help a lab's recommendation......

Larry Kellogg
25-Mar-2015, 09:50
+1 for MV Labs, I intern there one day a week. We only do black and white though, no color, which I think was the original question.

Jim is a great black and white printer so MV is a good place to go to have prints made.

JChrome
25-Mar-2015, 17:45
+1 for MV Labs, I intern there one day a week. We only do black and white though, no color, which I think was the original question.

Jim is a great black and white printer so MV is a good place to go to have prints made.

I love websites from the "digital stone age" (anything pre-2005).

This certainly qualifies:
http://www.mvlabs.com/

Being a web-developer I just find it amusing. Nothing against Jim btw. Having a cutting edge, responsive website doesn't qualify one to develop negatives or prints. In fact, I trust him more :-).

CropDusterMan
26-Mar-2015, 07:00
Soory, I realize the OP was looking for color 4x5...when I worked in NY, we used Print Zone in NY
for all our color neg processing...they were great.

Larry Kellogg
26-Mar-2015, 13:18

Being a web-developer I just find it amusing. Nothing against Jim btw. Having a cutting edge, responsive website doesn't qualify one to develop negatives or prints. In fact, I trust him more :-).

Let's just say we would all rather struggle to make the prints look good and the film come out than to mess around with CSS. ;-)

bob carnie
26-Mar-2015, 14:08
Be interested in seeing your web site and understanding what cutting edge would look like.
My website is pretty simple you could comment on mine if you wish.

bob carnie
26-Mar-2015, 14:11
I remember a few of my clients who I print lith prints for were in NY and I had MV labs process to the exact style of neg I needed for my prints, they handled this very naturally.

Noah A
26-Mar-2015, 15:33
I've been very happy with LTI. They're fast, have good prices and have always done a great job.

yuexiachou29
29-Mar-2015, 22:00
wow.. thanks guys for the comments.

If you had $$$ I would recommend "Small Darkroom". they do many big names.
437 W 16th St, New York, NY 10011

I will make a list & post it later on.

yuexiachou29
29-Mar-2015, 22:01
I've been very happy with LTI. They're fast, have good prices and have always done a great job.

just dropped off my film on Friday there
can't wait to take them home.:)

yuexiachou29
29-Mar-2015, 22:03
Intern... interesting. Would love to hear more about the internship.
have you learned a lot?
friendly working environment?

thanks.

Larry Kellogg
2-Apr-2015, 01:15
Intern... interesting. Would love to hear more about the internship.
have you learned a lot?
friendly working environment?

thanks.

Yes, I've learned a lot, it always helps to look at prints and negatives, no matter who shot them. The people at Jim's lab are terrific, very friendly, and kind.

Larry Kellogg
16-Apr-2015, 15:34
I'm sorry that it has taken me a while to get back to this thread.

MV Photo Labs is looking for a new space because the building is being torn down and turned into a hotel.

Jim Megargee has started a GoFundMe campaign to help defray the cost of the move. People who contribute to the campaign get a credit against future lab work, such as film developing or printing.

The campaign is here:

http://www.gofundme.com/q5feac

Any amount people can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

MV is a special place. Jim has aways been gracious with giving his time and expertise to help photographers improve how they shoot and print their work.

All of us who work at the lab would like to see Jim continue his work. There aren't many black and white labs left in the city, help us hold onto this one. Thank you.