PDA

View Full Version : South Central Pennsylvania?

Fr. Mark
16-Mar-2015, 16:33
Any other large format enthusiasts in/around South Central PA? I'm in the Harrisburg area.

drewf64
16-Mar-2015, 17:32
Hello Fellow Pennsylvanian !!
I am in Upper Bucks County, just below Bethlehem PA, (Eastern PA).
I travel 1-2 days every other week in the Harrisburg area +/- as business dictates.
90 minutes to HBG ... 78 to 81 to 83...all highway.

I am ready for a road trip with my 8x10 in tow !!

seabee1999
16-Mar-2015, 20:11
Originally I am from York Co. Because of the Navy, I'm in Ventura, CA. This July, I'll be back home for a week if you'd like to meet up somewhere then.

R/
Dave

Fr. Mark
16-Mar-2015, 20:26
Dave, One week in July I will be away at Church summer camp with our teen group, but if the dates work out, I'd love to meet somewhere---maybe you know some place scenic or interesting in/around York? By then I hope to have the kinks worked out of the Ektascan experiment and be in a position to use some cut to 5x7 (or 4x5 or 8x10). As a kid I did some reading about the exploits of the Seabees Island hopping in WW2, a group with a proud heritage!

Drewf64: I'd love to meet you and your 8x10. There are some promising pictures of bridges and the Harrisburg skyline (such as it is---the State Capitol Building also seems photogenic to me) from City Island or if you are interested in trains, I have a couple other spots in mind, too. I'm going to be hard to catch up with 'til after April 12 (Pascha/Easter for the Orthodox Christians) but it varies sometimes so let me know when you are out this way.

seabee1999
17-Mar-2015, 07:56
Dave, One week in July I will be away at Church summer camp with our teen group, but if the dates work out, I'd love to meet somewhere---maybe you know some place scenic or interesting in/around York? By then I hope to have the kinks worked out of the Ektascan experiment and be in a position to use some cut to 5x7 (or 4x5 or 8x10). As a kid I did some reading about the exploits of the Seabees Island hopping in WW2, a group with a proud heritage!

I'll be back home over the July 4th week. As for places to photograph in and around York, that would be tough to say. 16 years in the Navy and limited time home, things have changed over that time. Places I remember could be gone, re-hab'd, or off limits now. With that said, I'd be more inclined to simply meet up and swap stories. This trip home for me will be more focused on SCUBA diving with my family. Sadly, the LF camera (unless I pack my BJ Orbitar) will be in Cali. As for being a Seabee, I love being one and the heritage associated with being one. Although we don't do the same scale projects like we did in WW2, we still do some pretty impressive things. I can share more at a later time though.

R/
Dave

Fr. Mark
17-Mar-2015, 17:26
Dave, I should be home that week unless the senior priest changes up plans on me. Will look forward to meeting you somewhere York or H'bg or in between, I'll drag some cameras along. Send me a PM or email when we get closer to the date.

seabee1999
17-Mar-2015, 18:25
Dave, I should be home that week unless the senior priest changes up plans on me. Will look forward to meeting you somewhere York or H'bg or in between, I'll drag some cameras along. Send me a PM or email when we get closer to the date.

Not a problem. We can do that.

R/
Dave

Winger
17-Mar-2015, 18:41
I'm about to move back to southwest PA. I could sometimes be encouraged to meet somewhere in between Harrisburg and New Stanton.

StoneNYC
17-Mar-2015, 22:03
I'm about to move back to southwest PA. I could sometimes be encouraged to meet somewhere in between Harrisburg and New Stanton.

Yay! Now we can visit!!! :)

Fr. Mark
18-Mar-2015, 17:50
Bethe,

I live just outside Harrisburg, but the Greek Orthodox Diocese I belong to has its HQ in Pittsburgh, so I'm through the New Stanton area several times a year. I will be going through mid April. Remains to be seen if I will have time to stop though since it is supposed to be a day trip for an awards banquet where a pair of my parishioners are getting awards. Most of the Orthodox Christian parish clergy are married men, and I am, and I have a child in a ballet that day, so it may be too over-scheduled already. But, potentially will be back through in Late June and/or Mid-July, too. And, I have an other child in a school an hour North of Pittsburgh, too, but he just got his own car so I don't know if he will provide as many excuses for making the trip now! I had a quick look at your website, nice to see the cyanotype! I like them, too, though so far, I've had better success with digital than film negatives for alt printing. I was never great at chemical photography and I'm still getting back into the game and learning.
Fr. Mark

Winger
18-Mar-2015, 21:47
Fr. Mark - I'm a stay at home mom, though my little dude won't be in school until fall (kindergarten - already?!?!). So my schedule is mostly my own. There's plenty to shoot in Pittsburgh, as well as most of the state parks between there and H-burg. Just let me know.
I was a forensic chemist for 14 years so I like anything with chemicals and am not scared off by much (just look up Mordanšage). Cyanotypes can be really nice - it's better to have a predictable light source, but western PA "sun" will have to do. I've gotten some OK results with digital negs, but I don't have a great printer, so there are usually stripes/bands or other artefacts. I like the detail I can get with film negs.

Winger
18-Mar-2015, 21:49
Yay! Now we can visit!!! :)

Once I'm back there, we'll have to try and figure out a place to meet and shoot.

Oh, and there are car shows in Carlisle, PA in the summer. I don't think they care about tripods, so it might fun. And I might be there with my husband's car anyway (no, no clue which car).

StoneNYC
18-Mar-2015, 22:15
Once I'm back there, we'll have to try and figure out a place to meet and shoot.

Oh, and there are car shows in Carlisle, PA in the summer. I don't think they care about tripods, so it might fun. And I might be there with my husband's car anyway (no, no clue which car).

Darn it! Now I'll have to get my 1983 Datsun 280ZX fixed up then...

djdister
19-Mar-2015, 05:58
When I'm up in that area I like to photograph the Old York County Prison in York, and the bridges (or old bridge supports) over the Susquehanna River around Harrisburg. There are a number of interesting places around York: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_York_County,_Pennsylvania

seabee1999
19-Mar-2015, 08:39
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_York_County,_Pennsylvania

As a child, driving around the county, I remember many of the places on the registry. I am from Spring Grove originally and as a kid, I went to school in the at the East Street school. My family and I lived at the bottom of the hill and walked to school every day. There is a lot of history in York and the surrounding area. A lot has changed even since I was a kid growing up. I have many fond memories of the area.

Fr. Mark
19-Mar-2015, 17:40
Fr. Mark - I'm a stay at home mom, though my little dude won't be in school until fall (kindergarten - already?!?!). So my schedule is mostly my own. There's plenty to shoot in Pittsburgh, as well as most of the state parks between there and H-burg. Just let me know.
I was a forensic chemist for 14 years so I like anything with chemicals and am not scared off by much (just look up Mordanšage). Cyanotypes can be really nice - it's better to have a predictable light source, but western PA "sun" will have to do. I've gotten some OK results with digital negs, but I don't have a great printer, so there are usually stripes/bands or other artefacts. I like the detail I can get with film negs.
I built a UV light source and use a Gra-lab timer to control it. Freestyle photographic sells units but they cost too much for me. I used six 18" bug zapper bulbs from top bulb dot com and 3 ballasts from Lowes or Home Depot a left over kitchen drawer (my land lord left it in the house) and various left over parts. Less $100.

Rick A
19-Mar-2015, 18:27
North central Pa. here, I'm going to attempt a gathering in May or early June for the twin tiers area, maybe you all would like to visit the Pa. Wilds. There are some cool things to visit up here, not too far from Kinzua Bridge, the ruins of the Bayless Paper Mill and dam in Austin, Pa. The dam burst in 1911 destroying the mill and many homes down the First Fork valley. Camping near by also budget motels.
Bethe, when are you coming home? I visit P'burgh often, and maybe a shoot some time. I can't believe the l'il man starts school already!

tpersin
19-Mar-2015, 18:42
Pittsburgh here too!

StoneNYC
19-Mar-2015, 21:07
I built a UV light source and use a Gra-lab timer to control it. Freestyle photographic sells units but they cost too much for me. I used six 18" bug zapper bulbs from top bulb dot com and 3 ballasts from Lowes or Home Depot a left over kitchen drawer (my land lord left it in the house) and various left over parts. Less $100.

Wait is "Fr." for "father"? why do you have a landlord and aren't you supposed to give up all worldly valuables? This is not a dig, this is a question. Not negative.

By the way, clever, good idea on the UV!

Fr. Mark
20-Mar-2015, 18:08
is "Fr." for "father"? why do you have a landlord and aren't you supposed to give up all worldly valuables? This is not a dig, this is a question. Not negative.

Stone,

Good questions!

I forget that sometimes people don't know the whole story.

Even though I'm not ethnically Greek, I'm a priest in the Greek Orthodox Church. Unlike the Roman Catholics who enforced clerical celibacy sometime around the 8th C and forward, the Orthodox Christians (Greek, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Syrian, etc) ordain married men as well as celibates. There are certain provisos: The person being ordained can only be married once, and his spouse can only have been married once, to him, that is. Married clergy do not remarry if their spouse dies (or they get divorced which does, sadly, happen). Men who feel they must remarry no longer serve as clergy.

Traditionally, all celibate clergy were monks with vows of poverty etc, today some monks who are priests (not all monks are priests, only a small percentage of monks are priests in Orthodoxy) do function as parish clergy outside the confines of a monastery and there are even celibate clergy who aren't monks, though, personally, I think it is a really good idea to have someone (the abbot for a monk or a wife to a married guy) to be accountable to if you are going to be out in the world. Prevents certain temptations/problems.

So, I'm a married priest, 25 years married, priest 5 of them. I have four children: a daughter, then three boys, ages 20, 18, 15 and 12. Nobody in the family quite gets the film thing esp. large format film thing, but I've had an on/off love of photography since I was small. I still have the OM-1 I bought from my dad when I was a teen, sometime around 1983 or 1984. I have a number of other 35mm cameras mostly acquired as gifts or thrift store finds. I made my first LF images as paper negs in a pinhole camera on the Mall in DC in 1977 at the age of 9. I found them recently and realized why I didn't like the prints: the 9 y.o. me didn't realize I was not supposed to print the contact prints through the paper base of the negatives! (it was a large class with lots of pretty young kids and not enough instructors). So, I got out the dektol and some fresher paper and made prints the right way around. I don't know where that or another pinhole camera built from a magazine idea for 126 film went after all those years. For large format I have 4x5, 5x8, 8x10 pinhole cameras (and have ideas for a couple more experimental pinhole cameras), a 4x5 Busch Pressman D with 135mm lens, a 1/2 plate camera I bought of craigslist and restored to functionality. I was so new to LF then I thought it was a 5x7, no, its 100+ y/o 1/2 plate for glass plates. I built an 8x10 around a blacked out opaque projector, gave that up in favor of a sliding box camera then built a sort of tailboard/monorail around that giant lens 18" f3.6. That camera is 30 pounds with that lens, 8 of which is the lens. Partly due to frustrations of that project I recently bought a Sinar P (Ken Lee's influence, too) with 4x5 and 5x7 backs and some DB lens board lenses to go with the Sinar shutter (Thx Igor Reznick). I've been working on mounting to Sinar boards a number of older lenses I've picked up along the way: a 90mm, 7.5" (both 1940-50's enlarging lenses with zillions of aperture blades), a rapid rectilinear that goes with the 1/2 plate camera it's also around 7-8" f/l but only f8 or so max open, uncoated. And, a front element (positive meniscus lens) of a deceased freebie telezoom with home made waterhouse stops just for grins, it's also somewhere in the 5-6-7" range, I think---it'd vignette on half plate, but I was maybe extreme in use of movements and also perhaps it just needs less lens shade (I removed most of the lens shade the other day), it has some interesting aberrations shall we say. Someday I may want a more portable camera than the Sinar with the 300/5.6 on the front but we shall see. I have a lot to learn before I buy (worse: make!) another camera.

I'm putting off getting the Sinar into use 'til at least after Pascha/Easter which for us is April 12 this year plus I also need to finish my "Honey-do" list, too.

I originally trained as a chemist (synthetic organic/biochem smattering of analytical) and worked in research. Later sold scientific equipment and even started an organic cow dairy rather than go back to living in the city after a merger/reorganization found me w/o a job. The failure of that business set me up, in a manner of speaking, to go (back) to seminary. I know, crazy resume.

I hope that clarifies things a little.

StoneNYC
20-Mar-2015, 21:16
Haha, you could have just said "I'm Greek Orthodox and we can marry and be priests" and that would have been enough hahaha

Good story though, thanks for all the details, not everyone "gets the film thing" but I'm glad you're still consuming, try and "infect" at least 1-2 film users, we need to keep this thing going! :)

Fr. Mark
21-Mar-2015, 17:59
Stone,

Well, yes your condensed version has the essence of it, but few people know much about the Orthodox Church and I wanted to give you (and everyone else since you asked publicly) a serious answer.
Besides, preachers are supposed to long winded, aren't we? ;-)
Infecting people with the film thing, definitely trying. Astonishing how many people think film is no longer made! Sad.

StoneNYC
21-Mar-2015, 18:32
Stone,

Well, yes your condensed version has the essence of it, but few people know much about the Orthodox Church and I wanted to give you (and everyone else since you asked publicly) a serious answer.
Besides, preachers are supposed to long winded, aren't we? ;-)
Infecting people with the film thing, definitely trying. Astonishing how many people think film is no longer made! Sad.

I agree "is that still made??" Is said often when I'm shooting haha.

I only know about shooting a Greek Orthodox wedding, it was... Different... I was a little shocked at some of what was said, but hey to each their own.

Can't say more, we get into politics.

The preachers are long winded made me laugh. Thanks :)

Gregg Obst
27-Mar-2015, 02:48
I'm halfway between Reading and Allentown up in Berks County but I shoot mostly in the PA/NJ/MD/DE outer reaches and over the years I've compiled quite a large collection of photographically interesting locations in the Dauphin/Lebanon/York Counties area that you may want to check out.

Dauphin County/Harrisburg area:

Fort Hunter
5300 N Front St
Harrisburg, PA 17110
40.341523,-76.90882
N40 20 29 W76 54 31
http://forthunter.org/
Great old barn with victorian cupolas. Everhart Covered bridge. Access to small, cool church across the street and close proximity to Rckville Railroad Bridge that crosses the Susquehanna River.

Gingrich's One-Room Schoolhouse
8848 Jonestown Rd,
Grantville, PA 17028
(In East Hanover Community Park)
40.363019, -76.681898
N40 21 46 W76 40 54

This classic old school was built in 1865 and is located in what is now East Hanover Community Park in Grantville, PA. There is a walking trail that takes you from the parking lot through the park and past this schoolhouse with its outhouse and belfry and bell.

Lindley Murray One-Room Schoolhouse
Asher Miner Rd
Annville, PA 17003
40.422261, -76.578456
N40 25 20 W76 34 42

Not far from Fort Indiantown Gap military base and cemetery. This one-room schoolhouse was named after Lindley Murray who was a famous grammarian and textbook author who was born in Lebanon County. The schoolhouse was built in 1850 and used as an active school up until 1944. Parking is along the road.

The Star Barn
270-298 Nissley Dr
Middletown, PA 17057
40.222997, -76.770573
N40 13 22 W76 46 14
http://thestarbarn.com

Gothic style barn and out buildings (chicken house, pig house, double corn crib). If you get there after a good rain you can get a reflection shot on the pond of the barn. Weathered wood at it's best. The property has been for sale for several years and there were plans to dismantle and move the barn and its out buildings to another location but I think that fell through due to lack of funding.

Lebanon County:

Annville Train Station
115 N Moyer St
Annville, PA 17003
40.335046, -76.503081
N40 20 06 W76 30 11

Built in 1895. The original location of the station was on the campus of Lebanon Valley College. In 1976, it was sold by the college and moved to a new location. In the late 90s, a group of citizens decided they wanted their train station back. The group started looking for it since no one was certain where it ended up. They found it in New Cumberland PA being used as a hobby shop. The owner of the shop had sold his property which, in addition to the train station, also included a house and barn. The new owner was willing to sell the station so in 1997, they bought it back for $7,000. It cost $50,000 to bring it back to Annville where it now sits a few blocks from the original location along an active set of railroad tracks. Nice wood shingling with dedicated parking lot.

York County:

Raabs One-Room Schoolhouse
185-199 Oak Rd
Dallastown, PA 17313
39.914184, -76.655559
N39 54 51 W76 39 20

This one-room schoolhouse is located on the corner of Oak Road and Fruitlyn Drive in Dallastown, PA. It was built in 1857 on land owned by P. Joseph Raab. The current Raab's Fruit Farm stands across the street. Classes ended at this school in 1952. No dedicated parking spaces but I have gone up the hill behind the school and parked along the road. The backdrop here during Autumn is quite nice.

Garvine Mill
124 Garvine Mill Rd
Fawn Grove, PA 17321
39.755823,-76.430312
N39 45 20 W76 25 49
http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/mills/pa/38-67garvinemill.html

This mill was built somewhere between 1800 and 1830. It is located in Fawn Township near the intersection of Garvine Mill Road and PA route 425 (aka Woodbine Road). The owner of the mill lives in the Miller's house across the road and he has been constantly updating the mill and shoring it up to preserve the structure. Giant waterwheel on the side of the mill. Parking is alongside the road. The owner is a pretty nice guy.

Haines Shoe House
101-197 Shoe House Rd
York, PA 17406
39.998962, -76.636737
N39 59 56 W76 38 12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haines_Shoe_House

Giant stucco house built in the shape of a shoe. Has been an ice cream parlor, motel, restaurant and several other things during its history. Parking is alongside the road. Sort of a cheesy, touristy thing but hey, it's a giant shoe. How many of those have you shot ?

Wallace/Cross Mill
15716 Cross Mill Rd
Felton, PA 17322
39.799154,-76.540716
N39 47 56 W76 32 26
https://yorkcountypa.gov/parks-recreation/get-involved/friends-groups/friends-of-wallace-cross-mill.html

Nice red mill with waterwheel around back and winding creek alongside the mill. Parking is in a dedicated parking lot. Built in 1826 and restored in the early 1980s.