PDA

View Full Version : Scanning LF Negatives Workshop

Bill_1856
15-Mar-2015, 13:31
Looking for a workshop to learn about scanning B&W LF negatives (6x9, 4x5 & 5x7).

fishbulb
16-Mar-2015, 10:39
Hi Bill,

Scanning workflows depend a lot on the type of scanner and the software. For example, scanning on a Howtek drum scanner with Digital Photo Lab software, scanning on an Imacon Flextight and Silverfast software, or scanning on an Epson V700 with Epson software - all are very different. I'm getting pretty good at wetmount scans on my Howtek with DPL software, but I wouldn't know where to start using an Epson or Imacon type of scanner.

Scanner choice will depend a lot on what you want to scan. There are some good scanners specifically for 35mm and medium format roll film - the Nikon Coolscan types. But they won't do large format. A flatbed can do a decent job on large format, but not nearly as good of a job on 35mm/MF as a dedicated roll film scanner. If you have a ton of 6x9 film to scan, and only a little large format, or the opposite, it will have a big impact on what type of scanner you may want to use.

Once you know what kind of scanner you want to buy (or what kind of scanner you will have access to), then you probably want to find someone who is experienced in that specific type of scanner and its software workflow. If you get an Epson V700/750/800/850 flatbed it will be pretty easy to learn, since there are a lot of people who use that scanner and a lot of good videos online on youtube. For some of the more common high-end scanners (Howtek or Nikon for example), there are also some good videos and instruction manuals out there. For less-common scanners, or those that are no longer supported, you may struggle to even find an instruction manual, much less someone who knows how to use them.

Once you know what you want to learn, I would check in with photo labs or printers in your area. Most larger photo labs and fine art printers have professional scanning services, and they may have someone (or know someone) who knows what you want to know.

Lenny Eiger
16-Mar-2015, 11:58
I'd be happy to help with drum scanning lessons. (It's not very hard.) However, fish bulb is right, don't ask me about flatbed's.

Lenny

Heroique
16-Mar-2015, 12:27
There's a "free" scanning workshop available right here on this forum.

Just do a search for the late, great Ted Harris, and study his posts.

I've learned about 97% of what I know about my 4990 from this local master, whose generous spirit lives on.

bob carnie
16-Mar-2015, 13:04
Ted did his last workshop at my shop-
yes indeed he was a great instructor and really knew his stuff and great guy.

There's a "free" scanning workshop available right here on this forum.

Just do a search for the late, great Ted Harris, and study his posts.

I've learned about 97% of what I know about my 4990 from this local master, whose generous spirit lives on.