PDA

View Full Version : Colour LF photography in Australia too costly!!

Gary Tarbert
13-Mar-2015, 07:47
Hi , I am not sure if i am in the right area , Moderators move me. But as i looked through this looked like the right one , I have been shooting LF since 2005 and a member of this forum since 2006 .I have sold all my LF cameras , Reason i shoot mainly colour (spelt right)and the cost of processing in Australia has become cost prohibitive I am paying as long as i give 10 at a time $10 a sheet for 5x4 and that was even back when our dollar was worth more than the greenback. $15 for 5x8 and $20 for 8x10 again as long as 10 at a time if singles 12.50 5x4 $20 5x8 and $25 8x10 ,My lab was really good and she is a film shooter as well , but i have to admit a $300 bill for 20 shots(5x8 my favourite format) is becoming hard to explain to my wife , I do not have the capacity to process colour at home only5% of my work is B&W so it is much regret that i say i am no longer shooting LF .if i enjoyed USA pricing i would be here for a bit longer Which is correct me if i'm wrong from about $2.50 5x4 colour . . Cheers

MDR
13-Mar-2015, 07:51
Ever heard of home processing. Color processing is not really more difficult than B/W processing and the chemicals are cheaper. Give it a try or you better you should have given it a try.

cluttered
13-Mar-2015, 16:47
I agree with Gary; colour LF *is* expensive if you have it done in a lab here in Australia. Maybe it's the same in other countries too?

I'm still looking for a decent Jobo system at a sane price, and if I manage to achieve that I'll start doing LF colour at home, but for now I'm using colour only in the smaller formats, all my LF work is B&W only.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Mar-2015, 17:33
Ever heard of home processing. Color processing is not really more difficult than B/W processing and the chemicals are cheaper. Give it a try or you better you should have given it a try.

I am sure Gary is aware of the home processing option. You do not know the constraints he faces. Your post is more about promoting yourself rather than something helpful to Gary.

Gary Tarbert
13-Mar-2015, 17:55
Ever heard of home processing. Color processing is not really more difficult than B/W processing and the chemicals are cheaper. Give it a try or you better you should have given it a try. Yes have done my own E6 not C41 but i believe that is easier , That is not an option for me at the moment . Cheers Gary

Andrew Plume
14-Mar-2015, 04:16
Gary, hi

I realised from what you said earlier that you were having to give up LF work mainly because of time restraints - I hope that this doesn't mean that you will give up this medium permanently...........? There are options (of course), one of them being the 'baby Horseman system' where 6 x 9, say, can be shot on a metal Field which is pretty well a scaled down 4 x 5 - although I enjoy using 120 film, it's those movements which I need

good luck anyhow

regards
andrew

MDR
14-Mar-2015, 12:17
Sorry should have read the original post more thoroughly

Pete Watkins
14-Mar-2015, 13:11
Roll film backs are a cheaper option.
That's what I use.
Pete.

paulr
14-Mar-2015, 13:52
I agree, last I checked here in NYC it came to $5 or $6 a click for 4x5. Just not feasible for me. Add to this that I much prefer inkjet prints to c-prints for color, so I'd have to take into account scanning costs. My desktop scanner does a great job with b+w large format, but is barely ok with color. I only keep the large format camera around in case I decide to do another b+w project someday.

Noah A
15-Mar-2015, 06:54
Yes, it's getting expensive. In the US it costs me about $7 per click, $4 for the film purchase at B&H and $3 for processing at LTI in New York.

I'm shooting more and more digital, since film is so expensive and I'd rather take more trips and do more work. After all, no one (outside of this forum, perhaps) really cares what format you shoot. Having to do more assignment work and shooting less personal work just to fund film purchases doesn't make sense to me.

Gary Tarbert
15-Mar-2015, 07:08
Hi Noah , i am $14 per click plus shipping for the film purchase ,Funny of all my off the wall purchases from my store 60% are LF film they are big prints 36 inches on the long side , Yet LF prints only represent 30% of the work , So maybe the punters can tell the difference!!!

Noah A
15-Mar-2015, 13:52
...i am $14 per click...

Ouch.

swmcl
15-Mar-2015, 21:43
Gary,

I've just got 10 4x5's back from VisionImage lab in Sydney 6 C41 and 4 E6 for 85$. That's $8.50 each.

Rgds,

Steve

Gary Tarbert
16-Mar-2015, 00:20
that's the cheapest I have seen in Aus I am based in Western Australia so we tend to pay a bit more for almost everything

swmcl
16-Mar-2015, 03:03
Gary,

We used to 'compete' against one another at the Willeton photo club in the early 2000's. I do remember you.

I pay just as much as you to ship to Sydney.

Cheers,

Steve

Gary Tarbert
16-Mar-2015, 04:41
Hi Steve , Those were the days The workshop club is going from strength to strength , i have not been involved in camera club activity for a long time , i do a bit of Judging for various clubs which i quite enjoy , Great to see your still shooting film . Regards Gary

tgtaylor
16-Mar-2015, 14:22
Don't be too quick to discount C-41 and RA-4. It's more costly these days but the extra cost are worth it. Here's an image captured of Fuji Reala (this was several years ago and it may have been another Fuji film) with my 6x7 Pentax with a 165mm lens. I was photographing inside a California mission and got trapped in a side room by a wedding. While inside I found this neat-looking Clerestory and printed the negative with my Jobo. It's a 16x20 print and I plan on matting and mounting it to 22x28.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8745/16617070937_43e1643528.jpg

Thomas

PS: No flash - all ambient lighting.

jumanji
16-Mar-2015, 22:37
Thomas you are cheating! Is that a painting?

SMBooth
16-Mar-2015, 23:26
It $9.95 here in Melbourne for a 4x5 sheet (same for a 120 roll but at least you get 10 images from that). To rich for me as well Gary, although I can do E6 at home so I save up any E6 fil and sell the few boxes of Veliva nad Provia I have until its worth developing using a kit. But I could happily not use 4x5 colour and sell the few boxes of Velvia and Provia I have.

Darko Pozar
17-Mar-2015, 01:20
It $9.95 here in Melbourne for a 4x5 sheet (same for a 120 roll but at least you get 10 images from that). To rich for me as well Gary, although I can do E6 at home so I save up any E6 fil and sell the few boxes of Veliva nad Provia I have until its worth developing using a kit. But I could happily not use 4x5 colour and sell the few boxes of Velvia and Provia I have.

Hey Shane, I'm always open for purchasing more colour film.
Who can you recommend for processing in Melbourne?

tgtaylor
17-Mar-2015, 10:18
Thomas you are cheating! Is that a painting?

Hi jumanji,

It's a real Clerestory that's been painted as shown. The white in the window panes came out paper white and where they look "dirty" is actually trees on the outside that are out of focus and grossly under-exposed. The Pentax did a great job for this subject and the exposure was several seconds long.

Thomas

swmcl
20-Mar-2015, 16:35
Depending on the subject of course but in my humble opinion nothing goes close to replacing colour in the right circumstances. Its just that you can get awfully picky about the subject before you pull out the film. This especially gets a little wearisome when you travel with film and don't use it.

The LF game isn't for the snappers.

I've been eyeing off the 5x7 Velvia in Japan for some time but I just wish they'd tart the 100 Velvia up a bit. IMO the 50 is a bit too tarted mind you ...

:-)

Gary Tarbert
25-Mar-2015, 05:12
Depending on the subject of course but in my humble opinion nothing goes close to replacing colour in the right circumstances. Its just that you can get awfully picky about the subject before you pull out the film. This especially gets a little wearisome when you travel with film and don't use it.

The LF game isn't for the snappers.

I've been eyeing off the 5x7 Velvia in Japan for some time but I just wish they'd tart the 100 Velvia up a bit. IMO the 50 is a bit too tarted mind you ...

:-) Depends on your workflow but if scanning you can tart it up a bit in PS , But must admit not always as simple as that , I find a character of a film amplified can sometimes be unpleasant . Regards gary

SMBooth
25-Mar-2015, 14:28
Well there Micheals in City who do all, Prism Colour in Nth Melb do C41, then you have Vanber, The Colour Factory both in Fitzroy and Bond Colour in Richmond. There the main labs.

Hey Shane, I'm always open for purchasing more colour film.
Who can you recommend for processing in Melbourne?