PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Pyro negs

largeformat apt
12-Mar-2015, 21:42
All,
Maybe an oldy? Any tips for scanning Pyro Negs?
I have a Epson V800 scanner and I wish to cataloge my 8x10 negs
Thanks
Pat

SMBooth
12-Mar-2015, 21:53
Just as you would scan normal negatives. I haven't seen any real differences in the few Ive done.

Andrew O'Neill
12-Mar-2015, 22:41
My pyrocat-hd negatives scan very nicely on my V750.

koraks
13-Mar-2015, 01:33
Scanning b&w works just fine; just scan them as any other b&w negatives. Alternatively, you can scan in color and get whatever detail and tones from the stain using the blue channel. I mostly scan as b&w though.

IanG
13-Mar-2015, 03:45
My pyrocat-hd negatives scan very nicely on my V750.

Have to agree my Pyrocat HD negatives scan very easily with my V750.

Ian

Regular Rod
13-Mar-2015, 04:05
All,
Maybe an oldy? Any tips for scanning Pyro Negs?
I have a Epson V800 scanner and I wish to cataloge my 8x10 negs
Thanks
Pat

Emulsion side down on the platen and a sheet of clean Anti-Newton Ring Glass on the top with the film area guide around it...

Horizontal flip the resultant scan.

RR

Kimberly Anderson
13-Mar-2015, 05:03
Pyro negativess scan identically as regularly processed negatives. Don't let the stain hang you up.

That is not to say that processing film in Pyro is the same as processing negatives in other developers, as it is not. That is another thread however...

Peter De Smidt
13-Mar-2015, 06:27
I scan Pyrocat MC negs in color, and then I pick which color channel gives the best rendition of the scene. It's not always the same one.

sanking
13-Mar-2015, 09:21
I scan Pyrocat MC negs in color, and then I pick which color channel gives the best rendition of the scene. It's not always the same one.

To get the most out of a pyro stained negative I follow the same procedure as Peter, i.e. scan in RGB and use color channels to optimize the scan. In addition to rendition of the scene in terms of contrast control you may find that resolution is higher with one of the channels of your scan. This depends a lot on the scanner itself, but often one of the channels will be sharper than the other two.

One of the significant advantages of a pyro negative over a traditional negative can be seen in a scan. Since a very significant percentage of the total density of a stained negative is stain (which has no grain) pyro stained negatives often have a much smoother look. The difference may not be important to your work, depending on film size, magnification and type of scanner you use, but if you are trying to get the most from your work flow scanning of stained negatives gives wonderful results.

I use Pyrocat-HD now for nearly all of my film development, but the stain of some other Pyro developers, PMK for example, is equally effective in scanning.

Sandy

rjphil
16-Mar-2015, 10:25
Epson 4990 - no issues with either PMK pyro or Pyrocat HD in glycol. I have found a slightly underexposed neg shows less "grain" when scanned.