PDA

View Full Version : looking for a telephoto for 8x10

sdean7855
7-Mar-2015, 16:42
Any suggestions? I use a 300 Symmar for my normal lens, a 210 Angulon for WA, but the Tele-Xenar I have exhibits nasty chromatic aberration. I also have a 1 meter Dagor, but it's a weight monster, though I have the bellows for it and is uncoated.

Will be a coupla weeks before I respond as I'm going out to Colorado.

lucaas
7-Mar-2015, 19:26
Nikkor T ED series telephoto could be good choice, very sharp and contrast. IC=310 when f22, barely covers 8x10 but without movement.

And just curious, do you mean a Dagor in 1000mm focus length?

sdean7855
7-Mar-2015, 21:37
And just curious, do you mean a Dagor in 1000mm focus length?
Yes.

angusparker
7-Mar-2015, 22:34
If you have a meter plus bellows you don't necessarily need a telephoto unless you are shooting a lot closer in than infinity. 760mm or 30" is a fairly common lens to find and a lot longer than your 300. The 760mm Apo-Ronar-CL f14 is a great lens and not too big / heavy with plenty of IC for movements. Mounted in an Ilex 5 it is a nice setup. Then there is the 30" Red Dot Artar. But the Nikon T-ED is the way to go for a telephoto.

Alan Gales
7-Mar-2015, 23:06
I don't understand why you would want a telephoto since you have enough bellows draw to accommodate a 1000mm lens. I can understand a long lens. How long do you want?

angusparker
8-Mar-2015, 08:23
I don't understand why you would want a telephoto since you have enough bellows draw to accommodate a 1000mm lens. I can understand a long lens. How long do you want?

The closer the subject from infinity the longer the bellows draw. So you can run out of bellows even with a max bellows draw at the FL of the lens. Plus the less bellows you draw the more stable the camera and less shake you will get in wind etc. so a telephoto has at least two advantages.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Mar-2015, 09:48
Are you looking for a true telephoto where the bellows draw at infinity is shorter than the focal length?

ic-racer
8-Mar-2015, 10:19
You read all this information already and want more info? http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-long.html

jnantz
8-Mar-2015, 10:52
are tele optars convertibles and if so
how are they converted ?

Alan Gales
8-Mar-2015, 11:17
The closer the subject from infinity the longer the bellows draw. So you can run out of bellows even with a max bellows draw at the FL of the lens. Plus the less bellows you draw the more stable the camera and less shake you will get in wind etc. so a telephoto has at least two advantages.

Thanks, that would make sense not having to draw the bellows out so far. I just think about the loss of image circle. Of course that may not matter to the OP.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Mar-2015, 12:53
are tele optars convertibles and if so
how are they converted ?

You could remove the front element to see what happens. :(

I don't think any true telephotos are convertible. The Nikkor ED 600/800/1200mm is often referred to as such; the term works for quotidian but I'm not sure it is perfectly correct terminology.

Carsten Wolff
9-Mar-2015, 15:11
The smallest combo with nice image quality could perhaps be the quirky option of a Funinon-c 450 (if you don't want the 600) and a cheap Olympus C-180 x1.7 teleconverter. Sounds terrible, I know, but works fine: 765mm FL with only ~450mm of bellows @ infinity. I've shot color on 5x7" and 6x17cm with that its good to excellent. Not 100% sure if 8x10 would work, but I had tons of movements in 5x7, so I suspect it'd be good. The thing that surprised me was that I also had no significant focus shift at all with/without TC and no problems at all with fringing.

Drew Wiley
9-Mar-2015, 15:30
We still don't know why you need a telephoto versus just a compact long focal length lens. Does your 8x10 have an unduly short bellows?

Tony Lakin
10-Mar-2015, 15:22
The smallest combo with nice image quality could perhaps be the quirky option of a Funinon-c 450 (if you don't want the 600) and a cheap Olympus C-180 x1.7 teleconverter. Sounds terrible, I know, but works fine: 765mm FL with only ~450mm of bellows @ infinity. I've shot color on 5x7" and 6x17cm with that its good to excellent. Not 100% sure if 8x10 would work, but I had tons of movements in 5x7, so I suspect it'd be good. The thing that surprised me was that I also had no significant focus shift at all with/without TC and no problems at all with fringing.

Sounded interesting so I purchased one of the above to try on my 450c, should have checked before I ordered but I have found that the version of the 450c I have has a 49mm filter thread:o, as the converter has a 52mm filter thread I will have to try it with a 49-52mm step up ring, is it likely to work or is the distance between converter and lens critical?

DrTang
11-Mar-2015, 09:12

plus..one would have to have super long arms to focus a lens like the 1000mm

jeroldharter
11-Mar-2015, 13:14
Fujinon 600C is a great lens for 8x10.

Drew Wiley
11-Mar-2015, 13:37
Telephotos tend to be quite heavy for their focal length (potentially affecting stability on the front standard way out there), and have much smaller image circles
than equivalent regular LF lenses. Some LF camera have focus knobs toward the rear of the rack, so that's not so much as issue as front tilts etc. I don't shoot anything longer than the 600C on my 8x10, so don't have any problems at all. But when bellows get racked way way out sometimes people resort to two tripods.
According to Lamarck, the kids of ULF photographers will be born with longer arms anyway.

sdean7855
15-Mar-2015, 12:05
As I said way back in the beginning, I have an uncoated process 1000mm Dagor...what with its weight and the 1meter foical length at in infiinty (never mind closer), it's unsuited for field work with my ratty old Gundlach. I do have a monster converted Kodak 2D with an aluminum front end that I can use it with, but field work is impractical.

jnantz
15-Mar-2015, 12:33
You could remove the front element to see what happens. :(

I don't think any true telephotos are convertible. The Nikkor ED 600/800/1200mm is often referred to as such; the term works for quotidian but I'm not sure it is perfectly correct terminology.

yeah, you are probably right about telephotos being convertible .. and i should prolly do it myself and see what happens
but i am photographically lethargic these days, i'd rather have someone else do it and report back the results :)

15" & 10" teleoptars have large image circle but maybe not at least 10"
so converted they might be even larger and the FL even longer with not much bellows draw

either that or a 300/500 or 360/620 symmars, massive image circle converted
but not exactly telephotos .. :(

fishbulb
15-Mar-2015, 12:51
Here is the holy grail for telephoto, the full set of long Nikkors for sale right now: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?120867-FS-Nikkor-T-600-800-1200-tele-set-for-8x10

Details on the lenses (pdf file) http://www.kenleegallery.com/pdf/Nikkor_LargeFormatLenses.pdf At f/22, they all have 310mm of coverage, just enough for 8x10.

None of the Fuji Telephoto designs will cover 8x10, but the Fuji 600mm C f/11.5 will. The older, single-coated Fuji 600mm A f/11 and 1200mm A f/24 lenses would also work. Details on these: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm

Carsten Wolff
18-Mar-2015, 03:40
Sounded interesting so I purchased one of the above to try on my 450c, should have checked before I ordered but I have found that the version of the 450c I have has a 49mm filter thread:o, as the converter has a 52mm filter thread I will have to try it with a 49-52mm step up ring, is it likely to work or is the distance between converter and lens critical? No Idea. But for a few quid you'll have an answer soon, I bet. Please do share.

Chauncey Walden
18-Mar-2015, 12:03
Based on this: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/Converters/Other-Lenses/Oly.html it shouldn't be a problem.