PDA

View Full Version : question about a print

ImSoNegative
3-Mar-2015, 20:54
My son works at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility which accepts donations and they sale these items in a couple of different thrift stores that they have, anyway he called me tonight and told me that someone had donated some books and in one of the books was a photograph that was in an envelope and it fell out of the book when he picked it up, he asked me if I had ever heard of an Edward or Cole Weston, I was like uhhh yes I have heard of them why? well to make a long story short, he brought the photograph over to my house and left it there, this is what it is. "lake tenaya 1940" by Edward Weston. on the back it is stamped "from a photograph by Edward Weston and a print made my Cole Weston. This reproduction approved and signed by Cole Weston." and Cole Weston's signature is on the front of it. a couple of scans of it, I couldn't fit the whole thing in my scanner,

ImSoNegative
3-Mar-2015, 20:56
any idea of the value if any would be appreciated, I looked on ebay but couldn't really find anything

Jon Shiu
3-Mar-2015, 21:18
Guessing it is a lithographic reproduction, not a photograph?

Jon

John Kasaian
3-Mar-2015, 21:19
either way, a sweet deal!

ImSoNegative
3-Mar-2015, 21:30
yes Jon you are probably right, it is in nice shape, the person that donated the books probably didn't realize it was in there or didn't care,

Bill Burk
3-Mar-2015, 23:09
For our wedding, a friend (who named her son Cole) gave us an offset lithography printed poster signed by Cole Weston.

We had it on display for many years, knowing it is a halftone doesn't detract from its beauty. But I know it's not extremely valuable.

I think you should have it framed, and keep it on display for your enjoyment. I am sure it is his real signature.

Jim Cole
11-Mar-2015, 08:39
My son works at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility which accepts donations and they sale these items in a couple of different thrift stores that they have, anyway he called me tonight and told me that someone had donated some books and in one of the books was a photograph that was in an envelope and it fell out of the book when he picked it up, he asked me if I had ever heard of an Edward or Cole Weston, I was like uhhh yes I have heard of them why? well to make a long story short, he brought the photograph over to my house and left it there, this is what it is. "lake tenaya 1940" by Edward Weston. on the back it is stamped "from a photograph by Edward Weston and a print made my Cole Weston. This reproduction approved and signed by Cole Weston." and Cole Weston's signature is on the front of it. a couple of scans of it, I couldn't fit the whole thing in my scanner,

I have one of those. I came in a book I have called "American Photographers and the National Parks", Viking Press, 1981. The photograph and signature are a reproduction and I doubt it has any value at all.

dsphotog
25-Mar-2015, 09:54
I have one of those. I came in a book I have called "American Photographers and the National Parks", Viking Press, 1981. The photograph and signature are a reproduction and I doubt it has any value at all.

This sounded familiar, I just checked, and have the same on my bookshelf, print still inside.
Yeah it's a repro, but Cole's signature looks real, I think I'll frame it, and hang it next to my Ansel litho.