PDA

View Full Version : Sloss Furnaces

SLVRGLTN
1-Mar-2015, 17:15
Can some of you share your images particularly large format or medium format of Sloss Furnaces. I'm particularly interested in "Still Life" type images close ups & abstracts black & white preferred but foot ok to, and any info you may have on this particular place. I'm interested in going this summer and spend a day or two photographing it while I head west for business/family trip. My plan is to photograph other places along the way but I already know where to go and what I'm going to photograph at those places. Sloss Furnaces is a completely new idea for me. What was the cost associated with photographing the place on a personal walk through I will have 4 others with me but I'm the only one whose actually going to be taking photographs? Time limit? Or can you ask or pay for more time? How much film should I bring? I'm shooting 5x7 mostly only b/w and an occasional medium format. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Please keep comments to the subject at hand. Thanks for everything.

Brian

John Kasaian
2-Mar-2015, 07:44
Can some of you share your images particularly large format or medium format of Sloss Furnaces. I'm particularly interested in "Still Life" type images close ups & abstracts black & white preferred but foot ok to, and any info you may have on this particular place. I'm interested in going this summer and spend a day or two photographing it while I head west for business/family trip. My plan is to photograph other places along the way but I already know where to go and what I'm going to photograph at those places. Sloss Furnaces is a completely new idea for me. What was the cost associated with photographing the place on a personal walk through I will have 4 others with me but I'm the only one whose actually going to be taking photographs? Time limit? Or can you ask or pay for more time? How much film should I bring? I'm shooting 5x7 mostly only b/w and an occasional medium format. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Please keep comments to the subject at hand. Thanks for everything.

Brian

This place?
http://slossfurnaces.com/

SLVRGLTN
2-Mar-2015, 08:06
This place?
http://slossfurnaces.com/

Yes that place

John Kasaian
2-Mar-2015, 08:09
It sounds like a very cool subject to photograph! :cool:

sanking
2-Mar-2015, 08:14
I spent a day photographing at the Sloss Furnaces some 5-7 years ago with two other photographers. At the time there was only a small entry fee, and one pretty much could walk and photograph freely in the space. That may have changed as the status of Sloff Furnaces seems to be evolving It is a very large area and would easily lend itself to three or four days of work.

Sandy

SLVRGLTN
2-Mar-2015, 10:03
I spent a day photographing at the Sloss Furnaces some 5-7 years ago with two other photographers. At the time there was only a small entry fee, and one pretty much could walk and photograph freely in the space. That may have changed as the status of Sloff Furnaces seems to be evolving It is a very large area and would easily lend itself to three or four days of work.

Sandy

@Sandy do you have any images you can share? 3-4 days might be doable I have to check a few things but sounds like I will enjoy this place very much.

sanking
4-Mar-2015, 07:29
@Sandy do you have any images you can share? 3-4 days might be doable I have to check a few things but sounds like I will enjoy this place very much.

I have some images but unfortunately am not able to locate them. I was working with a 7X17" camera at the time and made some 20-25 negatives that all came out well, as I recall. I scanned most of them, but shortly after the trip something came up and I put the work aside and just never got back to printing any of the negatives.

Sandy

Two23
9-Mar-2015, 19:12
Wow. Wish I lived closer!

Kent in SD

SLVRGLTN
11-Mar-2015, 13:46
Wow. Wish I lived closer!

Kent in SD

@Kent Technically you can go because it's only a day drive or so from you. I may change my days when I go so I can spend more time there and photograph what I see. As Sandy says it's more of a 3-4 day place. I'm sure I would see things differently on different days.