PDA

View Full Version : Ordering from USA

paul owen
6-Jan-2005, 06:11
Hello all, I just wanted some feedback (please) from LF users in the UK/Europe with regards to ordering equipment from the USA. I am contemplating a roll film back, the Chinese-made 6x12 or 6x17 that are advertised on the Badger web site. As far as I am aware, there does not seem to be a UK/Europe supplier of these (reasonably priced) film backs - or is there?? Has anyone experience of ordering from Badger (in particular) and any advice re: customs charges etc? Does anyone have any experience with these film backs - I understand that the 6x12 seems to function very well despite its "industrial" appearance! Many thanks!

Gem Singer
6-Jan-2005, 06:24
Hi Paul,

These rollfilm backs are made by/for Shen Hao. For my own information, doesn't Robert White handle the Shen Hao product line? It would be a shame to pay those customs charges if wasn't really necessary. (you're going to put a Shen Hao product on the back of an Ebony? Shame!).

George Hart
6-Jan-2005, 06:39
Paul, I have ordered from Badger on 2 occasions in the past 18 months, and both times the service was excellent. Given that the exchange rate is so much in our favour at the moment, it is worth checking US prices for nearly anything! Based on my experience, I fully recommend ordering from Badger.

ramin
6-Jan-2005, 06:54
Hi Paul:

I just checked Robert white’s page looks like they don’t have the Hhen Hau roll film back in their stock. There are people however in this forum who have ordered products from Shen Hau direct from china and have reported satisfying service. I live in Europe too and want to order the 6x17 back but since this product is still new I want to hear reports from people regarding its performance like film flatness etc. (one new user is Travis who is trying this 6x17 back in sunny Australia now) ……so I would suggest you should contact Shen Hau it self in China and compare the price with the US importer: http://www.shen-hao.com/ (http://www.shen-hao.com/)

Cheers

David A. Goldfarb
6-Jan-2005, 07:14
There is a Hong Kong dealer who has been posting them regularly on eBay. The price is about the same with shipping to the U.S. as the Badger price.

David A. Goldfarb
6-Jan-2005, 07:27
Here's that Hong Kong dealer--

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZoneworld3QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1 (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZoneworld3QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1)

Frank Petronio
6-Jan-2005, 07:55
I miss buying cheap stuff from Robert White - they are a great dealer - hopefully the Pound and Euro will crash soon!!!

Jim Davies
6-Jan-2005, 08:13
I have bought various bits and pieces from America and have found the traders to be superb, rapid in their response and very open. A delight in comparison to UK, a generalisation, you know what I mean, I'm sure.
May I suggest that you keep the Royal Mail out of it totally, they will skin you. The commonly complained about delivery services (Fedex, Ups etc ) are very good in my estimation.

Dave Glenn
6-Jan-2005, 13:59
I bought the Day-1 (aka Shen-Hao) 6x17cm back from Badger Graphic in November and received excellent service from them. The package was sent by Fedex and I received it within a week. You should get a better price than I did becasue the exchange rate has improved since I bought mine. Just watch out for import duty and VAT (you'll receive an invoice from FedEx for about £80 just when you think you'vbe got away with it!).

The back itself is a little agricultural, but doe the job well. I've had no problems with flatness - I use it with 90mm and 135mm lenses. It was reviewed by Kerry Thalmann in the Sept/Oct issue of View Camera magazine.

Nick_3536
6-Jan-2005, 14:57
I'm the middle of ordering a camera,6x12 back and a few things direct from the factory. Shipping of course adds to the price but the starting prices are lower then the US sellers. Plus since I'm in Canada I'd have to pay for shipping from the US. You have to deal with the email tag. The fact they only take bank transfers. Hopefully it'll all work out right.

If you're ordering from Europe you might want to consider ordering direct from the factory. The cost of shipping from the US to the UK might be pretty close to the shipping direct from China.

ramin
6-Jan-2005, 17:59
Dave, what is the weight of this back, i have heard it is heavy.

Marko Trebusak
6-Jan-2005, 22:42
I would recommend you to contact Robert White (I usualy deal with Ken - ken@robertwhite.co.uk). They are excellent to deal with and yes, they do sell Shen Hao stuff, but do not advertise it on their web site. At time I made some calculations comparing prices if buying from RW or Badger. I find difference to little to be worth the hassle with our customs, but then exchange ratio is different now, so you might do your own calculations, especially if you put Chinese dealer in to equation. And I would like to know you, that I don't have anything with RW. I'm just satisfied customer.

Marko

paul owen
7-Jan-2005, 09:01
Marko, thanks for the advice!!!! I spoke with Robert White today who DOES stock Shen Hao - all the cameras AND both 6x12 and 6x17 roll film backs! Matt, who works with Robert, has been out trying the 6x17 back on an Ebony with a 90mm lens and has very good things to say about the build/quality! The cost is amazing too! Roll film back and viewing screen come in at well under £500 (incl VAT)! For a 6x17 back?? I ordered one today (he has plenty in stock) and when I've put some film through it I will report back for anyone that's interested!