PDA

View Full Version : Managing message limit of 100

HMG
21-Feb-2015, 08:48
I like to maintain an "archive" of private message (inbox and outbox) for future reference. As a result, I continually bump up against the 100 message limit.

If I download as csv, I lose a lot of the message content (just get the first line). I get it all when downloading as xml or text, but not very friendly formatting. Archiving the messages doesn't bypass the 100 message limit.

Suggestions to manage this? I already have "send email" enabled in my profile, but that doesn't help when others only receive (and reply to) PMs.

(And this is not intended to be a discussion of the pros and cons of the 100 message limit.)

rdenney
21-Feb-2015, 16:18
I just tested it, and with the CSV format I get the full message. There are no line breaks in the message, so in Notepad, it doesn't wrap and the message really stretches out horizontally. If you are looking at it in Notepad, try turning on Word Wrap.

If you open it in Excel, which is the default choice for the CSV type, you'll run into the character limit for text in a cell. That may be what you are seeing.

Rick "Ralph or Tom may have more to add" Denney

Randy Moe
21-Feb-2015, 16:25
I dump mine at about 75%. What I wonder is, do they really disappear or are they actually stored somewhere?

Obviously 'somewhere' is inaccessible to us, but might be visible to someone.

No real privacy anywhere these days. Not a complaint, but an observation. We have always had lurkers in the woods.

Would the Internet Archive scrape PMs up somehow?

Of course we will never know if 'higher power's' are doing it.

HMG
21-Feb-2015, 17:34
In the excel file, I get the entire message (at least I think it's entire) when I change cells to "wrap text". A bit awkward formatting, but usable.

Randy, do you dump yours to excel or some other way? Or do you simply dump (as in delete); never to be seen again except by the NSA?

StoneNYC
21-Feb-2015, 19:27
Unfortunately this is my biggest issue with this forum.

I've been sent some amazing information before, and have been forced to delete it.

This often happens when I'm selling something because I get an influx of messages.

I've asked the mods if they would consider increasing it even slightly, I mean most messaging systems are in the gigabytes of storage, and I don't expect that much, but 250 or 500 messages stored would be a lot more reasonable for those who spend years on the forum and want to store useful messages.

But they have simply said I need to learn to manage messages better.

Just do your best to delete the unimportant ones, turn off your stored sent messages option, and delete unimportant messages immediate after you reply to them.

That's all I've been able to do.

Randy Moe
21-Feb-2015, 19:51
In the excel file, I get the entire message (at least I think it's entire) when I change cells to "wrap text". A bit awkward formatting, but usable.

Randy, do you dump yours to excel or some other way? Or do you simply dump (as in delete); never to be seen again except by the NSA?

I delete 99% as it really is just unnecessary. If I do have a gem of advice, address or other important things I add the addresses to contacts and copy and paste any PM contents into a Word doc and save. However I don't use Word I use LibreOffice and donate to their efforts.

jnanian
21-Feb-2015, 20:40
what you need todo is save your messages as a PDF file or whatever format you want to save them.
or cut/past your message into a different program.
ir really isn't that hard.

Randy Moe
21-Feb-2015, 21:06
what you need todo is save your messages as a PDF file or whatever format you want to save them.
or cut/past your message into a different program.
ir really isn't that hard.

Most of them do not need to be saved.

jnanian
22-Feb-2015, 07:47
Most of them do not need to be saved.

exactly ... ;)

rdenney
22-Feb-2015, 09:23
Guys, it's easy to download emails, and you can then delete the ones you don't want to save. If you have emails that are special to you, remove them from the forum as soon as possible by downloading them. Like all online services, this one can be attacked and corrupted, and we make no assurance that we will be able to recover anything in the database of PMs.

Randy, when you delete PMs, they are not accessible. In fact, they are not accessible even before you delete them. We can apply some general processes, such as deleted all one's PMs, but we cannot see or read them. When you delete them, they are dumped from the database and the rotating backups will eventually lose them. The Internet Archive only preserves publicly visible sites, and links within those sites point to resources that may no longer exist.

This emphasizes the importance of backing up your important PMs--if we have to do something general to your PMs, we won't be able to discriminate between the important PMs and those that are causing the problem we are trying to fix. They will all get deleted.

Rick "a bigger inbox just makes you more vulnerable" Denney

StoneNYC
22-Feb-2015, 12:47
I usually use my phone to message people, but when on the computer can you run through the process of how to download emails?

What programs will I have to buy to do this? I'm almost sure purchasing some kind of program is involved in this. Lol.

Randy Moe
22-Feb-2015, 13:01
I usually use my phone to message people, but when on the computer can you run through the process of how to download emails?

What programs will I have to buy to do this? I'm almost sure purchasing some kind of program is involved in this. Lol.

Wrong again. Even on a phone you can copy and paste to somewhere else. You could send yourself emails as I sometimes do and store them in Gmail folders. I have lots of folders.

StoneNYC
22-Feb-2015, 15:39
Wrong again. Even on a phone you can copy and paste to somewhere else. You could send yourself emails as I sometimes do and store them in Gmail folders. I have lots of folders.

You can forward the message to an email? How?

Copy/paste would not store the original date and username easily, I assumed there was an export method.

Randy Moe
22-Feb-2015, 15:42
You can forward the message to an email? How?

Copy/paste would not store the original date and username easily, I assumed there was an export method.

You copy the measles and paste it into an email to yourself.

Randy Moe
22-Feb-2015, 16:35
You copy the measles and paste it into an email to yourself.

Phone self correct mistake. Not measles, message!

rdenney
22-Feb-2015, 18:09

I'm on my phone now but it is very straightforward. If you download it is a CSV file, it will be a comma-delimited text file that you can read with Notepad (just turn on word wrap). There are other options that can also be imported to many office-production programs.

Rick "who uses Tapatalk for convenience but does not expect the forum to be optimized for it" Denney

StoneNYC
22-Feb-2015, 18:38
I'm on my phone now but it is very straightforward. If you download it is a CSV file, it will be a comma-delimited text file that you can read with Notepad (just turn on word wrap). There are other options that can also be imported to many office-production programs.

Rick "who uses Tapatalk for convenience but does not expect the forum to be optimized for it" Denney

Sorry if I sound like a dummy, but I use a Mac, so I'm thinking I don't have "Notepad" and what are the steps for downloading the file as a CSV?

Thanks.

Randy Moe
22-Feb-2015, 18:57
Sorry if I sound like a dummy, but I use a Mac, so I'm thinking I don't have "Notepad" and what are the steps for downloading the file as a CSV?

Thanks.

I suppose you are using an iPhone. I just opened my iPod and copied an LFPF message and forwarded it to my gmail with 3 pokes of my fickle finger. I use an iPod as a free phone.

I think you need to visit the Geniuses at the Apple Store. That is what they call them I believe.

StoneNYC
22-Feb-2015, 19:21
I suppose you are using an iPhone. I just opened my iPod and copied an LFPF message and forwarded it to my gmail with 3 pokes of my fickle finger. I use an iPod as a free phone.

I think you need to visit the Geniuses at the Apple Store. That is what they call them I believe.

I'm talking about on the computer... With a standard web browser.

jnanian
22-Feb-2015, 19:32
the simple steps are

go to your inbox
click on the teeny box to the left of
the message you want archive

go the the bottom of the page under the inbox
click on the box that asks you what you want to
do with the selected message
there is an option to save as a csv file ...

it really isn't too complicated ...
cutting and pasting in a notepad file
or sticky file
or text file is as simple or simpler ...

if you delete your sent messages you can get more messages in your inbox

StoneNYC
22-Feb-2015, 20:37
the simple steps are

go to your inbox
click on the teeny box to the left of
the message you want archive

go the the bottom of the page under the inbox
click on the box that asks you what you want to
do with the selected message
there is an option to save as a csv file ...

it really isn't too complicated ...
cutting and pasting in a notepad file
or sticky file
or text file is as simple or simpler ...

if you delete your sent messages you can get more messages in your inbox

If you select multiple message will it export them into one file or separate ones per message? Thanks.

rdenney
23-Feb-2015, 05:55
If you select multiple message will it export them into one file or separate ones per message? Thanks.

One file with "comma-separated values". TextEdit will read a CSV file (because it is plain text) but it will not separate the values. It is readable as is, at least if you give it a bit more effort than you are giving to figure out how to read a text file on your Mac. You can search it for user names or dates, for example.

Rick "who found TexEdit in 12 seconds of Googling" Denney

StoneNYC
23-Feb-2015, 07:28
One file with "comma-separated values". TextEdit will read a CSV file (because it is plain text) but it will not separate the values. It is readable as is, at least if you give it a bit more effort than you are giving to figure out how to read a text file on your Mac. You can search it for user names or dates, for example.

Rick "who found TexEdit in 12 seconds of Googling" Denney

I was asking straight from the source, I wanted to ask before I attempted and got frustrated, I'm not home so when I am I'll attempt this now that I have the relevant info. Thanks! I'm sure this is helpful to the OP as well.