PDA

View Full Version : How to take pictures fast?

Maciek Ostaszewski
5-Jan-2005, 07:18
Hello!

In next Sunday I will be shoting a group photo in TV studio during live broadcast. Probably I will have about 10 second for exposures. Probably I will have 3-4 4x5 cameras, and each camera will be operated be 1-2 people (one responsible for shutter, and other for changing film holders).

Do you have any tips?

Chris Ellinger
5-Jan-2005, 07:37
A self-cocking "press" type shutter can save the time it takes to open the aperture for focusing then stop down for exposure (and cock the shutter between shots).

Michael Kadillak
5-Jan-2005, 08:16
Graflex film holders also come to mind. Pre-focused and with a press shutter, you can rip six exposures with the Graflex in a very short period of time.

Good Shooting!

jose angel
5-Jan-2005, 08:26
Added to my usual labeling system, I like to take numbered stickers to identify film holders if needed. I record all kind of data on a voice recording device . Probably, I would take one recorder with each camera if you need to identify so many holders, names of celebrities or whatever the info needed.

It helps me when I am immersed into the chaos in front of the "holders tower" or the "sea of rolls" at the darkroom.

Ellis Vener
5-Jan-2005, 10:46
Use Fuji Quickloads in Fuji Quickload holders instead of standard double sided film holders or a grafmatic. Have your teams practice a lot ahead of time; unexposed film on the right, exposed film to the left, don't bother having the film operator sealing the packets just prenumber the packets a head of time to avoid confusion.

Paul Butzi
5-Jan-2005, 11:57
If you want to make exposures quickly, use grafmatic film holders - six sheets, and you can make all six in about three seconds, without ever removing the film holder from the camera.

I'm probably considered a readyload/quickload poster child of some sort, but if you want to make exposures quickly, regular film holders are faster to use.

Kirk Gittings
5-Jan-2005, 13:21
If your shooting color and will scan anyway, I would shoot negatives so that I wouldn't have to bracket.

David Richhart
5-Jan-2005, 13:22
... and don't forget to practice, practice, practice...

Ralph Barker
5-Jan-2005, 13:22
I've never used Graphmatic film holders, and have no idea how sensitive they might be to over-anxious film handling, but I might lean toward conventional holders for simplified and more-familiar operation.

That said, I think Ellis hit on the real key - advance practice and command-coordination by the teams, combined with good organization and advance labeling. Belt-mounted film-holder pouches might be useful, as well, as you probably won't be able to rely on having any sort of working surface available. Note that communication between team members will likely need to be visual, rather than verbal, as you'll likely be required to be relatively silent near the sound stage.

John Flavell
5-Jan-2005, 14:22
Practice Practice Practice. I love that answer.

David A. Goldfarb
5-Jan-2005, 14:30
Grafmatics are very quick, if you're familiar with them, but they're a bit clattery (particularly if there are three people using them at once) for a live TV set, unless there are a lot of other noisy things going on. Quickloads/Readyloads are probably a bit more desirable for that reason alone.

Rangefinder focusing can speed things up, if you're shooting with Graphics or Technikas.

I think practice is the best answer.

Ellis Vener
5-Jan-2005, 15:08
The advantages of using Fuji Quickloads over Grafmatics are reliability and no dust problems, they are much simpler to use than standard film holders. You can leave the Quickload holder in the camera and just insert new film and remove shot film as fast as you shuffle them through the holder and trip the shutter. My question is if you have three cameras and three crews and are photographing a large group how are you going to direct the people to pay attention to which camera -- if that is a goal.

Frank Petronio
5-Jan-2005, 16:45
A mild suppository, taken about 20 minutes beforehand, will definitley get you working faster.

Maciek Ostaszewski
5-Jan-2005, 18:25
Thanks you very much.

Focusing is not a problem, I will have few hours befor shoting for seting up cameras, focusing, profs etc.

I have a Grafmatic, but it is not reliable: few times septums jammed between shots, and I had unjam it in darkroom.

Quickload system is not existent in my country

Cameras will be as close each other as possible, and quite far from people so, directing people attention is not a problem.

giancatarina
6-Jan-2005, 00:25
You won't need movements, so ... Mamiya 7 and fuji NPL (or NPS it depends on lighting)... unless you need big prints !