PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Malta

Jungle
16-Feb-2015, 12:53
Hello, I am George from Malta (Europe). Totally new here and still to get my LF.... I started in photography some 25 yrs ago, but never had the opportunity to shoot LF. I only know a couple of photographers in malta who have a LF....

I am currently doing a masters in fine arts, and shall be using salt printing and cyanotype processes for my practical side of the thesis.. And it is from here that my interest in Lf came out, and decided to get my self a camera. I am currently seeking info to buy one in fact. I shall be shooting with LF solely for my pleasure, not commercial, for that I stick to my nikon and Olympus...

I am sure, I shall be able to learn a lot form here. Thanks

George

Nathan Potter
16-Feb-2015, 13:57
Hi George, welcome. You caught my attention because I spent a couple of years on Malta (1957, 1958), yes, a long time ago. I was in the US Navy airforce stationed at the British airbase at Halfar. I was shooting 35mm film and some 4X5 using a Navy speed graphic. My favorite entertainment was to ride one of those old island busses from Birzebbugga to Valletta about mid afternoon, then visit a little restaurant on Kingsway and have an egg salad sandwich with a bottle of Lowenbrau in the outdoor cafe. Would take an occasional trip in a Navy P2V to Benghazi, Libya to visit a girlfriend.

Some good historic stuff to photograph on Malta, and beautiful shoreline and cliffs in places.

Here I am on the south coast at the shore near the Wied Gnuber near Halfar.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8619825901_be625d4d85_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/argiolus/8619825901/)
45M7-57-17[t1 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/argiolus/8619825901/) by hypolimnas (https://www.flickr.com/people/argiolus/), on Flickr

BTW, what village do you reside in?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jungle
16-Feb-2015, 15:36
Hello Nate, thanks for the welcome. I am originally from Santa Venera, but now live in St. Paul's bay... My cousin lives close to u though, somewhere in Austin outskirts..... Hehe

May I post the above on fb?. And if you have any photographs of malta, we have a page on the British times in malta. It is quite interesting that malta was at the forefront of photography in fox talbot's days, as his nephew was stationed here and they corresponded on their photographic endeavors....

Btw. Some of those old buses are still around, beautifully restored and used mostly for touristic routes.

I am 41 yrs young, and used to shot 35 mm and 120'm. Black and white film in 90's. Changing to digital quite late.... Now I want to start with LF, am seeking a 4x5 in fact, hopefully find a not so expensive babe to look after....

Look forward to see your work.

See ya
George

John Kasaian
16-Feb-2015, 15:50
Welcome aboard from Fresno, Caifornia!

Jungle
17-Feb-2015, 05:09
Thanks John

Much appreciated

is there a used equipment - for sale page herE?

djdister
17-Feb-2015, 06:36
Thanks John

Much appreciated

is there a used equipment - for sale page herE?

From the FAQ: Classifieds (for sale or wanted ads) should only be posted in the "For Sale/Wanted" sub-forum, which is open only to those who have been members for 30 days or more. Classified ads are limited to the personal photographic equipment, photography books, and prints of registered users. Posts by dealers are not allowed. The sales price must be clearly stated in the original post. Auctions are not permitted, nor are announcements, pointers or links to items for sale at other web sites or points of sale. They are prohibited and will be deleted without notice. Please prefix all post titles to indicate intent: "WTB", "FS" , "FT" (for trade), etc. Use of the "For Sale/Wanted" section is completely at your own risk. Readers of "For Sale" posts should refrain from intruding on the thread by making negative comments about the item or the price being requested. Doing so is rude, and thus in violation of general forum guidelines.

Jungle
17-Feb-2015, 09:07
thanks, i seek the page/posts....

was to busy reading about lenses and processing yesterday...

the smiling gecko
17-Feb-2015, 14:11
welcome from the gulf coast of texas:)

beware the slope is slippery near the waters edge of large format...went from 4x5 to 8x10 (much, much later) and now the siren song of 11x14 has me under it's spell - paying down on an 11x14.

laugh more, smile more...
...i do whenever i walk by a mirror.

kenneth david
the photographer by the sea

Jungle
18-Feb-2015, 02:48
Hehe. Yes true, and I love tools.....so really have to be careful

Nathan Potter
18-Feb-2015, 10:16
Hello Nate, thanks for the welcome. I am originally from Santa Venera, but now live in St. Paul's bay... My cousin lives close to u though, somewhere in Austin outskirts..... Hehe

May I post the above on fb?. And if you have any photographs of malta, we have a page on the British times in malta. It is quite interesting that malta was at the forefront of photography in fox talbot's days, as his nephew was stationed here and they corresponded on their photographic endeavors....

Btw. Some of those old buses are still around, beautifully restored and used mostly for touristic routes.

I am 41 yrs young, and used to shot 35 mm and 120'm. Black and white film in 90's. Changing to digital quite late.... Now I want to start with LF, am seeking a 4x5 in fact, hopefully find a not so expensive babe to look after....

Look forward to see your work.

See ya
George

George, feel free to post the above image on fb. St Pauls Bay along the north coast of the island is quite nice - I often went there on a rented BMW motorcycle. That's where I missed a curve in the road and slid into the ocean by skidding on that darn slippery limestone dust after a shower. I imagine St. Pauls bay has changed drastically since the mid 1950s' when Malta was a British protectorate. I keep telling myself I should visit Malta again someday.

Most of my images of Malta were taken using 35mm format but a small number used a 4X5 speed graflex borrowed from my navy intelligence office. When I get a chance I'll scan and post a few of the more interesting images. Need to check out the British Times in Malta - good tip - thanks.

Best regards,

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jungle
4-Mar-2015, 01:56
Hello Nate,

ohhh yes it has changed... too much some for the better some for the worse, but alas that is life... would love to see any old photos you may have...

Andrew O'Neill
4-Mar-2015, 13:38
Welcome aboard, George! I do kallitype and carbon transfer printing.
Nathan, that's a cool photo!

Jungle
11-Mar-2015, 11:54
Thanks Andrew.. Soon we have things to discuss then. I bought my of yesterday... Still to get my hands on it.. A sinar f

Steven Tribe
6-Apr-2015, 01:45
Nice to hear from someone from Malta who shoots things other than migrating song birds, birds of prey, storks etc!

Jungle
7-Apr-2015, 14:12
I can assure you Steven Tribe, that not all Maltese are hunters, and not all agree with hunting. having said that, there is an old saying in Maltese, Kullhadd ghandu xi x-xomm, meaning everyone has some body odour to smell......

Jungle
7-Apr-2015, 14:25
Today, i developed my first 3 4x5 negatives, which are right now hanging over the kitchen sink to dry. . i used Shanghai film, rated at 80 and developed in Agfa Atomal for 10 min. tray development, continuous agitation. - the powder i had since 1990 circa..... my 'darkroom' is a makeshift meter x meter x meter cube made out of aluminium 7mm rods, and a piece of drape for side, and top. it worked in the front room with all lights switched off.. i miss my old darkroom, a dedicated 4x5 meter room, which i had built at my mum's place.

gleaf
7-Apr-2015, 18:26
Welcome to the group. Enjoy the road of discovery.

Jungle
8-Apr-2015, 16:28
and here is a scan of one of the three negatives...132091

thanks for the welcome gleaf