PDA

View Full Version : DIY 8x10 on a budget

gsuser
15-Feb-2015, 18:49
I have dabbled in large format for some time now but never enough to really start to learn how to really create those special images that you can only get with large format. I have recently switched back to film because I found it slowed me down and made me look at all the different aspects of the image. I actually am starting to really visulize the finished product that I want to see.

I have had 4x5 and 5x7 so why not an 8x10, cost initially was a deal killer. The film, camera and lens costs were more than I wanted to deal with since I could for see a lot of film being used up during the learning curve but then I found this forum. So much good information, so many great photos for motivation and best of all... X-Ray film.

This was the way to go, so I started to scrounge around for parts. A friend had an 8x10 sliding back that also got 2 4x10's on one sheet, found a bellows on Ebay for a bargain price and I already had a Packard shutter in my parts bin, with a little work I could have an 8x10. So I sketch out the dimensions and start cutting pieces and in a few days we have the beginings of a camera.

Heespharm
15-Feb-2015, 19:00
Look up gowland pocket view 4x5 and 8x10... Basically you use a Tripod head for rise and fall
A you shaped back standard and front standard with slotted bottom for front and back shift and swing...

But you could get much more intricate than that

gsuser
15-Feb-2015, 19:08

The lens board with the packard shutter was a bit of an chore but I got it assembled so the hunt was on for a lens.The other issue was my first focusing arraingment.
Loosening the clamps and sliding on the tube was really in convienent so the hunt was on for a solution. I looked at one of my broken tripods and the verticle colume was the same size and it was geared, all the focusing problems solved. After a few minor modifications I now have geard focus on the rear standard.

I ended up getting 3 process lenses in barrels, mostly ebay bargains but with good glass. A Wray 8 1/2" f6.3 which is very sharp, Goerz Dogmar 8 1/4" f4.5 a soft lens and a Rodenstock APO Ronar 14" f9 also sharp. The two 8" lenses barely cover 8x10 with no movements but the 14" is better.

I will post some more pictures of the setup soon but so far I am happy with the results especially since I only have about $200 invested in the project.

Heespharm
15-Feb-2015, 19:10

The lens board with the packard shutter was a bit of an chore but I got it assembled so the hunt was on for a lens.The other issue was my first focusing arraingment.
Loosening the clamps and sliding on the tube was really in convienent so the hunt was on for a solution. I looked at one of my broken tripods and the verticle colume was the same size and it was geared, all the focusing problems solved. After a few minor modifications I now have geard focus on the rear standard.

I ended up getting 3 process lenses in barrels, mostly ebay bargains but with good glass. A Wray 8 1/2" f6.3 which is very sharp, Goerz Dogmar 8 1/4" f4.5 a soft lens and a Rodenstock APO Ronar 14" f9 also sharp. The two 8" lenses barely cover 8x10 with no movements but the 14" is better.

I will post some more pictures of the setup soon but so far I am happy with the results especially since I only have about $200 invested in the project.

Wow very nice! Didn't know u finished it... Ignore my last post hahaha Looks great!

gsuser
15-Feb-2015, 19:34
Thanks. The camera is functional and will probably never be finished. I will have a couple of images in the x-ray thread here shortly.

Fr. Mark
15-Feb-2015, 22:20
I like the tripod piece for focusing!

gsuser
16-Feb-2015, 05:29
Thanks for looking. It was such a simple idea I don't know why I did not start with it.

Will Frostmill
16-Feb-2015, 05:59
Fantastic work! Now I want to build my own.

John Layton
17-Feb-2015, 07:53
Looks great! Question - is there enough friction associated with those rear axial locking knobs - to keep the back from rotating when you insert a film holder? Just curious! If not, you might find some rubber washers or automotive cork gasket material to be very handy for this!

gsuser
17-Feb-2015, 11:11
Everything is pretty steady so far and there will be some small changes as time goes on. I do support the camera whenever I slip in a film holder which helps steady eveything.