PDA

View Full Version : 5 gallon milspec surplus water carrier covers

John Kasaian
11-Feb-2015, 09:39
I've got two of these to tote around my 8x10 kit, With the 'dorff and a few holders in one there is still enough room on top for a couple of 6x6 lens boards with glass, dark cloth, cleaning kit etc on top. They are insulated and heavy duty (weighing in at 9# empty) so perfect protection for riding in the trunk of the car and with the shoulder strap I can take everything I need { carrying the tripod in my free hand) in one trip to set up for shots within an easy distance from the vehicle (definitely not something for the John Muir Trail!)

A few years ago these were offered in practically every Ace is the Place hardware store for around $17 IIRC, but I haven't seen any for sale since.

To make short story long, my last Army Surplus blanket (handed down from my dad) finally succumbed to moth holes and I was wanting to find a replacement as they are great for snow camping, but genuine Army blankets aren't as common today as they were in the 1950's. At last I did a search and found the blankets at The Sportsman's Guide, placed my order and now I'm on their mailing list.
Another mailing list!:mad:
Anyway a flyer showed up yesterday and low and behold they list GI surplus water cooler covers. The price has gone up to $30 and be aware that Sportsman's Guide will ding you big time on shipping, but there is nothing else quite like these on the market so I thought I'd post about them being available again. I've no connection nor interest in this company.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=water+carrier+cover

HMG
11-Feb-2015, 09:46
I occasionally purchase from Sportsman's Guide. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of "free shipping" offers. Sometimes for orders over $49, other times for all orders. Quality of their items can be a bit spotty; sometimes good and sometimes just adequate.