PDA

View Full Version : Kenro Izu's New Video

Hugo Zhang
9-Feb-2015, 23:03
Kenro Izu is one of my favorite photographers. I have just found this interesting video online...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKXVsbBciH8

Carl J
10-Feb-2015, 00:35
Great! One of mine, too. Thanks, Hugo.

andreios
10-Feb-2015, 01:20
Thanks for sharing, Hugo! I do admire his work.

lecarp
10-Feb-2015, 07:03
Hugo, this provided a most wonderful beginning to my day. Much appreciated.

Doug Howk
10-Feb-2015, 07:37
I've seen his work in a couple of exhibits in this area, and he is a Master. Reminds me of Paul Caponigro in his attitude/reverence for his subject matter.

richardman
10-Feb-2015, 15:03
I have one of his small prints. A true treasure.

Hugo Zhang
10-Feb-2015, 16:13
I have all his published books, but his website has some new unpublished stuff like "Eternal light".

http://www.kenroizu.com/html/el_cover.html

I also enjoy reading his travelogue:

http://www.kenroizu.com/html/travelogue1.html

blueribbontea
10-Feb-2015, 16:21
He does great work. We have one of his books. But this video was terrible, jumpy and nervous, and the audio was not good. He should at least have worn a lapel mic to reduce the audio reflections. It is too bad. He had a lot of good things to say.

Jim Noel
10-Feb-2015, 20:52
He is not just one of my favorite photographers, he is one of my favorite people.

lab black
11-Feb-2015, 00:30
Hugo,

Kenro Izu has tremendously influenced my vision. Thank you for sharing this informative and moving video.

UlbabraB
11-Feb-2015, 04:56
Thanks, I love his work and this video is actually from his recent exhibition in Modena (near where I live). Seeing the prints in person was an awesome experience, they truly transmit the atmosphere captured by the photographer.

lecarp
11-Feb-2015, 06:55
Thanks, I love his work and this video is actually from his recent exhibition in Modena (near where I live). Seeing the prints in person was an awesome experience, they truly transmit the atmosphere captured by the photographer.

Are the large prints in the exhibition platinum from enlarged negatives or are they digital prints?

UlbabraB
11-Feb-2015, 07:05
Most of the prints are 14x20" platinum/palladium prints, I suppose directly from in-camera negative (there are also some dipytichs and triptychs where the sheet film boundaries are clearly visible).
There are also big digital prints from scanned negatives.

Pete Roody
11-Feb-2015, 11:37
He does 14x20 Platinum contact prints and enlarged prints from digital scans. When he first exhibited the Bhutan series, Howard Greenberg Gallaries sold his prints. The 14x20 Platinum prints were priced at $3500. The enlarged digital prints were priced at $15,000. No comparison in quality as the platinum prints were clearly better. But the enlarged prints were outselling the platinum's when I saw them. Size matters I guess.

tgtaylor
11-Feb-2015, 11:49
He does 14x20 Platinum contact prints and enlarged prints from digital scans. When he first exhibited the Bhutan series, Howard Greenberg Gallaries sold his prints. The 14x20 Platinum prints were priced at $3500. The enlarged digital prints were priced at $15,000. No comparison in quality as the platinum prints were clearly better. But the enlarged prints were outselling the platinum's when I saw them. Size matters I guess.

When you say "enlarged prints from digital scans" do you mean that the original Platinum contact print was simply scanned and then enlarged and reprinted digitally or that an enlarged digital negative was made and then printed as a Platinum contact print?

I seem to recall reading somewhere where he "removed" non-essential subject matter from his images. Did he do this in camera, in the wet lab or in the computer?
Thomas

Pete Roody
11-Feb-2015, 11:56
When you say "enlarged prints from digital scans" do you mean that the original Platinum contact print was simply scanned and then enlarged and reprinted digitally or that an enlarged digital negative was made and then printed as a Platinum contact print?

I seem to recall reading somewhere where he "removed" non-essential subject matter from his images. Did he do this in camera, in the wet lab or in the computer?
Thomas

The enlarged prints were from a digital printer. I don't know whether he scanned the prints or negs to make them.

As far as the 14x20's, they were straight contact prints. His process is described in this video: http://www.pem.org/sites/izu/theartist.html

tgtaylor
11-Feb-2015, 12:03
Then the only "Platinum" prints are those that were the 14x20's that contact printed from the negative. All the digital prints are inkjets.

Thomas

Pete Roody
11-Feb-2015, 12:05
Then the only "Platinum" prints are those that were the 14x20's that contact printed from the negative. All the digital prints are inkjets.

Thomas

Yes!

George E. Sheils
20-Feb-2015, 08:53
Thanks for sharing this video.

Kenro inspires most of us, as much by his sense of peace as by his fantastic sense of vision.

hmf
8-Mar-2015, 16:32
The Phoenix Museum of Art has 2 shows right now on pt/pd photography. There are 8 Kenro Izu prints displayed; 4 platinum landscapes and 4 cyantoype over platinum figure studies. They are jaw-droppingly beautiful and not to be missed if you're in the area.

Bill_1856
8-Mar-2015, 17:42
Thanks. I was not familiar with his work, but he is obviously a great human being.
Can't tell from the video about the quality of the pictures -- I'll try to find out more. Google?

ndg
8-Mar-2015, 17:46
Thanks. I was not familiar with his work, but he is obviously a great human being.
Can't tell from the video about the quality of the pictures -- I'll try to find out more. Google?

His site:
http://www.kenroizu.com