PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in San Francisco with a Linhof Technikardan

dirk dom
30-Jan-2015, 15:30
Hi!
This year I'll spend eight weeks in San Francisco (Two with Easter and six in the summer) with a Linhof Technikardan 6x9 camera. I'll shoot rollfilm on 6x9 size. My ultimate goal is to go back to the city often over the years and make a book about the city and the people there. My wife and son live there, I live in Belgium. I'm strictly an amateur photographer. I do this for fun.
I'll take a 47, 65, 150 and 270mm lens. I'm shooting black and white. I'll also have ND filters with me for long exposure daytime shots.
I've spent six weeks in S.F. with a digital camera two years ago. I'll take public transportation and do long walks in a relaxed way, taking camera and max. two lenses every time.
I sort of know my way around the city, but I have four questions, I can find literally nothing about shooting a technical camera in S.F.:

Are there things I absolutely have to shoot?

How do people react to someone shooting a technical camera in S.F.? May I get banned from places because my equipment looks "professional", and I have to set up a tripod, although a Canon 5D will probably take higher rez shots?

Are there LF portfolio's on the Net from San Francisco?

Is there stuff I absolutely need to know?

thank you,

Bye,

Dirk.

Leszek Vogt
30-Jan-2015, 16:31
You may get second or third look....and some people may stop to talk. Overall, they'll just walk by as if you were using a larger cell phone. SF offers huge diversity from beaches, GG Park, vendors setting up in China Town, the Highlands offer expansive views onto the city & the bridge/es...also check out Treasure Island (more precisely Yerba Buena) around dusk and you should get some usable images of the city skyline. I'm not into tourists, such as Ghirardeli Sq (sp) etc., but you can explore that, Twin Peaks, Japan Town, and mass of other places. You can spot hand gliders in Daly City...around Ft Funston or So. of there. Sooo, whether it's Mission District, Castro, Fin. District, Marina, etc., they all require certain quality of light to get what you desire. Sometimes the atmospherics are with you (like local fog or white/dark clouds) and sometimes you will not see sun for days. Beauty is subjective....

If I were you, just blunder through town with wide eyes....you'll likely get much more from exploration and; therefore, the images will follow. As to safety, well it wouldn't hurt if you carry some pepper spray (just in case), but in my experience I've never been accosted under any circumstances (it could be the size of my frame ?). Also, keep in mind that not all parts of town are in the best of shape or upkept....so dilapidated areas may or may not indicate safety.

Unless you shoot video w/talent on GG Bridge or at Muir Woods, you shouldn't have any issues. The natl pk is the umbrella and permits/licensing for this sort of (pro) work is rather steep + liability insurance thrown into equation, bla bla bla.

Can't tell you about SF photographers, but you should be able to find a slew of photos on Google and other engines....all around SF...as a reference. Personally, I stay away from someone's tripod marks.

Good luck.

Les

Drew Wiley
30-Jan-2015, 16:37
Don't try using a view camera any place like downtown or around Chinatown or in any tourist trap vortex. You'll get cussed out, trampled to death by pedestrians, and probably end up with your camera rail braided around a fire hydrant. People are rude, especially if they regard your activities as rude. By contrast, areas
around GGNRA, GG Park, beside the beach, are mellow and camera friendly. The nice thing about public transportation is that they'll be running over people other than you. But expect little compassion for any big gear bags with you. Millions of photos get taken in SF, a lot of them of the same monotonous themes, like the GG Bridge. On the other side of that bridge, in the Marin headlands, I'm accustomed to getting wonderful shots of everything but the bridge, once within a few feet of a parking lot which unloaded a bunch of Chinese tourists who couldn't help but take cell phone pictures of me and my 8x10, but couldn't possibly figure out why I was aiming it the opposite direction of everyone else! There are probably tens of thousands of pictures on the web right now of various SF
scenes. No need to copy them. There's plenty to see, and the fog acts like a natural softbox. Wonderful light at times. The logistics of getting around and avoiding crowds is a greater concern. So like I already suggested, head across town, away from downtown, toward the ocean. Geary St will probably be the main bus route in between. And the W side of GG Park directly abuts Ocean Beach. Taking a bus across the GG Bridge to Marin Headlands is also rewarding, provided you don't choose one of the stereotypical crowded Bridge viewpoints where you risk getting trampled to death. Walk a few hundred yards further and
you'll have plenty of elbow room on any number of magnificent trails. But be prepared for wind and fog, which tends to be incessant much of the year. Have a
lightwt jacket and reasonably fast film. You could also take a bus to Muir Woods - not my favorite place because it too is miserably crowded. But a mile or so
past the herds and you'll have a fair amount of quiet, but also distinct hills, so have decent footwear. I personally prefer to leave that vicinity and head the
opposite direction from everyone else. There are lifetimes worth of pictures in the whole area. Some photographers spend their whole careers here.

Drew Wiley
30-Jan-2015, 16:44
I must clarify the post prior to mine, however. There are ZERO hassles about using a tripod or view camera gear on NP property unless they distinctly
impose a hazard to cars or pedestrians. No permits are required whatsoever unless you are doing a bona fide commercial shoot with assistants, models, lighting, etc. Some of us routinely shoot in these locations. There have been times rangers have approached me and asked what it takes to get into large format themselves! Once you're actually on the trails, a bit beyond the congestion of "scenic turnout" tourists, people tend to be extremely polite and generally won't even
step in front of your camera without asking first. The wind is less forgiving.

John Kasaian
30-Jan-2015, 16:51
Interesting question. I've been hassled by rangers and police who thought I was a commercial photographer and would there for need a required permit, insurance etc...
The City of San Francisco makes a lot of money off commercial photography.
I suggest contacting the film board (or whatever the city department and Golden Gate National Recreation Area office in charge of such things is called)well in advance and by mail, and ask them if any permits are needed for amateur tourist photography with a tripod. The answer will probably be negative unless you plan on shooting where you'll cause problems with traffic. Keep that letter with you at all times when shooting in the city to show the police or rangers in case they question you.
OR, just pretend that you don't speak English.

"Is there stuff I absolutely need to know?"
Avoid bad neighborhoods and it's always good to have a friend along to "cover" your back when you're composing on the GG in busy locations.

Have a great trip!

Drew Wiley
30-Jan-2015, 17:06
John - you need a valid passport to cross the Altamont Pass. Otherwise, cross over Pacheco Pass pretending to go to Monterey, then sneak up Hwy 1 to SF. Or you might be able to slip in over the hills behind here unspotted if you wear a T-shirt with the image of Che Guevara on it. Once the US commercializes Cuba again, the last Communist regime in the West Hemisphere will be here! Nor do we speak English here. Every other dialect on the planet. Pretend to be schizo and they'll ignore you. You don't want to stand out. But I've been questioned exactly once, and that was by a brand new ranger on horseback, recently imported from the East Coast (wouldn't ya know it!). Just like the only jerk backcountry ranger is ever encountered in the high Sierra. That conversation lasted about twenty seconds when I informed her that it was a camera for "personal art purposes". Gosh, I'm over in that part of the world all summer long, every weekend it's either too hot here for a big pack or that I'm not off on some backpack trip. Those guys got used to my big Ries tripod long ago.

Drew Wiley
30-Jan-2015, 17:08
Don't read my last post, Dirk... it's an inside joke between me and John concerning our demographic idiosyncrasies here in Calif.

Rayt
30-Jan-2015, 18:48
I do a large format road trip once a year around CA, NV and AZ seeking out old architecture in bygone silver cities. I always start my journey flying into SFO so have done some 4x5 photography in the city. I like shooting in Chinatown/North Beach for the turn of the 20th century architecture but always stayed in a local hotel, got up and about by 6am to shoot early light with no crowds around.

While on the subject, car rental companies discourage me from driving across the Golden Gate Bridge because of the penalties imposed on cars without the right auto toll set up. Rental companies impose a huge charge for this privilege something like 30 bucks to use the car on the bridge?!?

Richard Wasserman
30-Jan-2015, 19:06
I can't speak specifically about San Francisco, but I have used a large format camera in many other cities—Chicago, New York, Detroit, Boston, and others. I am often in not the best of neighborhoods and I have never had an problem. Most people ignore me, but the few who don't are generally curious, either about what I am doing or the camera. Try to stay out of the way the best you can, be friendly and open and I predict you will have a good time.

tgtaylor
30-Jan-2015, 21:33
To date I haven't had any problem shooting with cameras up to 8x10 format anywhere in the city. A LF camera - especially 8x10 - will aftract attention and expect to be asked the usual questions about it. Be extra careful in the downtown Tenderloin district (the square area comprised of Market and Powell to Market and Van Ness; Market and Van Ness to Geary, Geary and Van Ness to Powell) - especially at night.

Thomas

CCB
30-Jan-2015, 22:15
Be sure to wear flowers in your hair!

dsphotog
30-Jan-2015, 22:21
I like Fort Point, a fort under the Golden Gate Bridge, built of brick around 1850. Easy to spend hours photographing inside.

angusparker
31-Jan-2015, 01:01
All good suggestions to date, really only three semi-dangerous places in SF: Tenderloin, Mission, and Hunters Point. One more at night would be the strip club and night club stretch on Broadway between Columbus and Battery. Otherwise, no one will bother you. In the city I'd recommend the SF Maritime National Historic Park next to Fishermans Wharf. Outside the city check out China Camp SP, top of Mt. Tamalpais for views of city at distance, and Point Reyes. If asked by Rangers just say images for personal use/art and they will go away. If you want to process C41 or E6 I'd recommend Lightwaves in SF. Lots of scenery made for panoramic format in the area.

richardman
31-Jan-2015, 04:00
Do I detect sarcasm in Drew's tone? LoL

Welcome to California. We are chatty, friendly folks. Although SF right now is overrun with tech workers with more money than gods but still cannot afford rent, so they might be as grumpy as some people here :-)

Jim Graves
1-Feb-2015, 17:33
To date I haven't had any problem shooting with cameras up to 8x10 format anywhere in the city. A LF camera - especially 8x10 - will attract attention and expect to be asked the usual questions about it. Be extra careful in the downtown Tenderloin district (the square area comprised of Market and Powell to Market and Van Ness; Market and Van Ness to Geary, Geary and Van Ness to Powell) - especially at night.

Thomas

+ 1

On the rare occasion that I've shot images of "street people" I have had some negative comments but I would guess that is true everywhere.

The street performers around Union Square, Market St & Powell (at and near the Cable Car turnaround), and in the Fisherman's wharf and Embarcadero areas seem to enjoy being photographed. One of the shoe shine stands on Market St. near Powell even had a sign requesting a $1 donation per photo. I have never had a polite request to shoot turned down at the outdoor market place near the City Hall or the Chess games on Market just West of Powell St. or in the numerous open market set-ups on Union Square.

As with any big city, things get rougher after 10 p.m. or so.

The Tenderloin district is pretty much off-limits after 8 p.m. ... and the center of it is dicey even during the day time.

Bill Burk
1-Feb-2015, 22:00
All good suggestions to date.

Good tips.

Maybe Angus can schedule an SF LF Meetup to concur with your visit.

I walked back through the Tenderloin on my way back from the last SF LF Meetup, nobody accosted me. Maybe the SEI Photometer I was packing in my vest pocket acted as a deterrent (sorry didn't get a chance to show and tell).

An interesting way to study SF photography is to visit the street vendors at the Embarcadero. These are a hard working bunch. I enjoy Xiang Li's work for example. He doesn't shoot LF but you can get an idea of the obligatory views from the selections that you see in the vendors' booths.

lab black
2-Feb-2015, 00:06
San Francisco is a city that is rich in photographic opportunities. Of course, it all depends on your specific interests.
+1 Fort Point
+1 Powell and Market for interesting people.
+1 for exercising extreme caution anywhere near the Tenderloin, Mission District and Hunter's Pt.
Consider exploring Golden Gate Park;
Mallard lake at sunrise or sunset
Tree Fern Dell (across from The Conservatory of Flowers)
Stow lake
Botanical Garden
--
Twin Peaks (magnificent view on a clear day)
Details of architecture vary from neighborhood to neighborhood and as such, I greatly enjoy picking a small area and walking in exploration.
Muir Woods
Mt. Tamalpais State Park
Pt. Reyes

vdonovan
2-Feb-2015, 00:19
I live in SF and shoot large format all the time, all over the city, at all hours of day and night. I've never ever had anything but polite (and often enthusiastic) interest and support.

The exception is within the GGNRA (Golden Gate National Recreation Area), which includes Fort Point, The Presidio, the Cliff House (and Sutro Baths). I have been approached by rangers who thought I was doing commercial photography. Once I explained that I was an amateur taking pictures for my own use, they left me alone.

angusparker
2-Feb-2015, 11:00
Good tips.

Maybe Angus can schedule an SF LF Meetup to concur with your visit.

I walked back through the Tenderloin on my way back from the last SF LF Meetup, nobody accosted me. Maybe the SEI Photometer I was packing in my vest pocket acted as a deterrent (sorry didn't get a chance to show and tell).

An interesting way to study SF photography is to visit the street vendors at the Embarcadero. These are a hard working bunch. I enjoy Xiang Li's work for example. He doesn't shoot LF but you can get an idea of the obligatory views from the selections that you see in the vendors' booths.

Happy to schedule a LF meetup when the OP is in town. What are the dates? Would be a good way to meet the community. Also thinking we might want to have a session on testing film for Normal development. I'd like to hear more on how to do this.

Drew Wiley
2-Feb-2015, 11:48
If I were planning to photograph on the streets anywhere around downtown I'd either do it on the weekend or have someone else along to run interference, or risk someone tripping over your gear and smashing it. Same goes for night. People do get mugged from time to time, even downtown. But the typical tourist never goes anywhere near the dangerous neighborhoods like Hunter's Point anyway, or even knows that area exists. Rangers in certain overtly trampled areas anywhere can obviously get into a siege mentality and might ask a question about your intentions. I tend to avoid the handful of stereotypical "scenic turnout" locations anyway, so it's been a non-issue for me. Just be sure your gear packs up reasonable portable and safe to others if you are taking public transportation, however. The lighting varies not only according to general weather, but, being near the coast, with time of day and specific neighborhood.

Bill Burk
6-Feb-2015, 00:04
Happy to schedule a LF meetup when the OP is in town. What are the dates? Would be a good way to meet the community. Also thinking we might want to have a session on testing film for Normal development. I'd like to hear more on how to do this.

OP mentioned Easter.

I'm still organizing my thoughts about Normal development and look forward to the next meeting...

angusparker
6-Feb-2015, 09:42
OP mentioned Easter.

I'm still organizing my thoughts about Normal development and look forward to the next meeting...

Does that mean you could be ready to present?