PDA

View Full Version : Mods, please reconsider asking for general locations for the profile record

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 13:30
This is an open thread to the moderators to once again ask them to revisit the policy about member locations.

Any and all member comment, whether positive or negative is most welcome.

I don't expect that there will ever be a requirement of membership to post one's city, nor am I sure that something that specific is even a good idea, but for some very valid reasons, it would be quite welcome to have at least a region in place. For example, I'm am in Nixa, Mo. but for general needs, saying Southwest Missouri would be enough.

My two primary reasons are for sales or purchases where one could instantly tell if something large was too far away for a trip to pick up (or if it was in an area that has some highly photogenic sites to make a trip more enjoyable than just a pick up marathon), and for simple contact with other shooters in a certain radius to form localized sub groups for clubs, social events, and group outings to favorite locations. To have that in a way that would be searchable such as Arkansas members or Colorado, etc would be incredible.

Is there any way that the mods could consider this, and if a positive decision is made, do a blanket emailing to each member to make a strong request for them to add at least their region to their profile?

Thanks for the work you do, guys. This has been a great site for me for many years now and is a daily fascination.

Tim

Old-N-Feeble
29-Jan-2015, 13:36
Heh... in what part of Missouri are you located? :)

I'm in south TX.

IanG
29-Jan-2015, 13:41
Totally agree Tim.

Ian

Jac@stafford.net
29-Jan-2015, 13:42
My two primary reasons are for sales or purchases where one could instantly tell if something large was to far away for a trip to pick up

In that case, the poster could state his city in the ad, or a potential buyer could PM the seller.
Change nothing.

Preston
29-Jan-2015, 13:49
I think Tim makes some good points. While some may be leery for privacy concerns to have their city/town visible, I see nothing inherently wrong with having one's state or region (US) or their country be visible.

The idea that "Location" be searchable would be valuable.

--P

Old-N-Feeble
29-Jan-2015, 13:52
In that case, the poster could state his city in the ad, or a potential buyer could PM the seller.
Change nothing.

On some forums, it's required that the seller indicate in the thread title, the state and sometimes the city in which something is offered for sale. If the seller doesn't do so the thread is closed. However, that process requires more moderator intervention.

djdister
29-Jan-2015, 13:59
Change nothing.

But many times they do not. Leading everyone else to ask the simple question, multiple times. Is that a better way?

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 14:48
Jac,

It feels like you did not read the entire post as I also commented on the value of being able to contact fellow members within one's own region for social or business reasons well beyond sales. That is the more important reason for having the regional info readily available.

Michael E
29-Jan-2015, 14:54
I always check the info on the location of a poster, this is a very far spread/international crowd. I read many post differently because of the location.

I could do without any info on developers or scanners in the title of images, though.

Michael
Leipzig, Germany

Ralph Barker
29-Jan-2015, 15:09
Location remains a part of the registration form, as it has always been. It is up to each individual to decide whether they wish to be that courteous to other members, however.

Vaughn
29-Jan-2015, 15:11
Location remains a part of the registration form, as it has always been. It is up to each individual to decide whether they wish to be that courteous to other members, however.

Fine with me.

ghostcount
29-Jan-2015, 15:15

Fine with me.

Better for an individual to have a choice.:cool:

djdister
29-Jan-2015, 15:32
So how about we just suggest that folks selling stuff give some indication about where it would be shipped from?

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 15:45
Old and Feeble,

I'm about four miles south of Springfield. Barely enough time to finish a hamburger between the city limits signs.

Tim

ghostcount
29-Jan-2015, 15:46
So how about we just suggest that folks selling stuff give some indication about where it would be shipped from?

Indeed. Nothing in the present forum prevents the OP's intended goals.

Old-N-Feeble
29-Jan-2015, 15:48
Old and Feeble,

I'm about four miles south of Springfield. Barely enough time to finish a hamburger between the city limits signs.

Tim

You can eat a hamburger, while driving on the highway, in less than four minutes? You're more talented than I, sir. :)

I'm about thirty miles SE of San Antonio.

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 15:48
Ghostcount,

I am not suggesting that this should be mandatory in any way, just that as a service and courtesy to the community at large, it would be helpful if it were more strongly encouraged. Anyone who totally wishes to remain private would obviously be welcome to do so.

Tim

pierre506
29-Jan-2015, 15:53
Totally agreed~

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 15:55
Old and Feeble

Nah, the traffic usually keeps the speed down to about 45 MPH so it's more like eight minutes. I wouldn't want to eat a good burger that fast anyway. You gotta enjoy it slowly to savor the flavor.

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 15:57
djdister,

Again the sales is only a portion of the reason. The opportunity for regional professional and social contact is even more valuable.

Lachlan 717
29-Jan-2015, 16:21
So, please let me paraphrase:

You want EVERYONE to have to put their location up so that those FEW looking at an unmonitored Sales area can save themselves the effort of contacting the Seller to find out where they are?

Good luck with that proposal.

As for the regional rationale, how is putting your location going to be anywhere near as useful compared to a thread title such as "LF catch-up for [insert region here]"? If you're contemplating somehow searching for local members and then sending them PMs, I'm going to call spam. Unsolicited contact.

djdister
29-Jan-2015, 16:24
djdister,

Again the sales is only a portion of the reason. The opportunity for regional professional and social contact is even more valuable.

I agree, that's a good reason too. Apparently some people don't agree.

Ralph Barker
29-Jan-2015, 17:14
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?36302-Your-Member-Profile&highlight=location+profile

bumped

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 17:17
Lachlan,

It would be awfully nice if you read something carefully before putting words in mine or anyone's mouth. AT NO POINT did I come close to suggesting that ANYONE should be REQUIRED to supply location or any other information they hold to be private. In fact, I clearly stated just the opposite!

As to your implication that a thread title is enough to get in touch with a broad group of members in any area or for any purpose, I've tried it a few times with little result, i suspect because at least some folks likely didn't see the post who may have otherwise been interested.

You are suggesting that a shotgun approach like that will work and in real life, it doesn't. In fact, from what I have read and been told by professional marketing people I have asked, the projected response for direct mail and other such shotgun approaches, seems to be under ten percent. I certainly found that to be true in 17 years of direct mail marketing to seniors and for other portrait promotions.

The ability to contact by PM or any other means, a group of individuals with specific information about forming subgroups or making other regional non-commercial announcements is, I believe, an appropriate use for the PM system exactly like contacting any individual member via PM for a large format related announcement or question. And, by the way, how does sending an individual an unsolicited PM not fit under spam if I follow your rationale correctly?

ghostcount
29-Jan-2015, 17:38
You did state...

... Any and all member comment, whether positive or negative is most welcome.

Now if you wanted constructive, you might want to filter who can post to this thread. :rolleyes:

mdarnton
29-Jan-2015, 19:03
I don't have a problem with someone not telling me where he is, but I think that someone who asks for the kind of help that would best be delivered locally and doesn't list where he is should be shunned forever. And this happens way too often. Too bad there isn't a way for software to automatically marginalize these people.

lenser
29-Jan-2015, 19:20
Ghostcount,

All negative as well as positive comments are welcome. That is the nature of debate, but another nature of debate is the concept of rebuttal, particularly when a challenge is made that by design or accident, misrepresents what has been proposed.

If you feel I am wrong, by all means share your point of view. If I agree with it, I will be honest enough to share that and endorse what you have shared. If not, and it is something I feel strongly enough about or if somehow something was misstated, I will also challenge that.

This thread is all about trying to increase and improve communication between us all and to that end, I made a few suggestions that i truly believe will work. You certainly have your right to challenge that if you disagree.

ghostcount
29-Jan-2015, 21:08
I don't disagree. You wanted a more suggestive push in stating location; Mr. Barker has shown that, unless you can offer another method.

I disagree in leading us for comments (positive or negative) then retort a negative remark. Lachlan offered his opinion, and should stand on it's own. If your goal is to convince people from siding with your opinion perhaps you should ignore those comments that don't agree with your position and nurture the ones that do. Just my opinion. ;)

Nodda Duma
29-Jan-2015, 22:14
Old and Feeble,

Tim

We fly into springfield to visit my folks in the Mtn Home, AR area. I grew up watching KY3 and KOLR10. They were the only channels we picked up.

StoneNYC
30-Jan-2015, 00:28
I think people should be required to verify their identity even if only in the background, and their state on their profile, too many people hide behind their names and complete anonymity and cause trouble, make new accounts when they get booted etc.

So I say yes I agree.

Moopheus
30-Jan-2015, 07:47
I wouldn't want to eat a good burger that fast anyway. You gotta enjoy it slowly to savor the flavor.

If it's such a good burger, why are you eating it in the car?

lenser
30-Jan-2015, 14:40
Moopheus, Sometimes you just have to enjoy things on the fly, even if they and you deserve a more stately approach.