PDA

View Full Version : Blzzard in NYC

Shootar401
25-Jan-2015, 20:38
For those of us who live and/or work in NYC we all know we are about to the pounded with 15-20" of snow over the next few days. I'll be out and about in Central Park with my Speed (or Rolleiflex) Tuesday morning since this is a once a year opportunity to get some great winter shots. I hope to see some other LF'ers out shooting.

diversey
25-Jan-2015, 20:59
NYC mayor just said NYC people should not go to park during this snowstorm. :)

jp
25-Jan-2015, 21:07
Up here we're supposed to get 50-60mph winds with it so probably not suitable visibility or stability with that sort of snowstorm.

vinny
25-Jan-2015, 21:20
Good luck!
I wish we were getting a little bit of that snow here in michigan.

Shootar401
25-Jan-2015, 21:40
NYC mayor just said NYC people should not go to park during this snowstorm. :)

Meh, They plow the roads in the park and snow blow the larger paved trails. Unless they close the park I'll be there. And obviously I won't be out when its that windy. I'll wait till it dies down a bit.

Jim C.
25-Jan-2015, 22:35
Meh, They plow the roads in the park and snow blow the larger paved trails. Unless they close the park I'll be there. And obviously I won't be out when its that windy. I'll wait till it dies down a bit.

Ain't the roads, it's what's above you.
Just watch out for falling tree limbs, depending on how wet the snow is, don't want to the cameras to get hurt. ;)

StoneNYC
25-Jan-2015, 22:50
Ain't the roads, it's what's above you.
Just watch out for falling tree limbs, depending on how wet the snow is, don't want to the cameras to get hurt. ;)

Yea, be carful, if you fall, you might tear the bellows...

jp
26-Jan-2015, 07:07
We had a little preview Saturday and got 6-8 inches of snow through the day. My daughter is getting some skating in on the lake before it's covered in deep snow Saturday morning.
This is with the Rolleiflex. Haven't developed 4x5 yet. Using a new-to-me Ries Jr tripod with a 3025 head as a cold weather alternative to my favorite tiltall. The tiltall leg locks get frozen easily.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Jan-2015, 09:00
Someone loves the snow.

Peter Lewin
26-Jan-2015, 09:17
Here in NJ the TV is predicting white-out conditions for tomorrow morning. Doesn't sound ideal for photography, maybe something for the "soft focus" thread? Anyway, good luck!

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2015, 09:23
Meanwhile, out here in California, it's a balmy 80 degrees. I think I'll put on my shorts and take off my shoes, and go walk on the beach.

Down here there is a 20 - 30% chance of showers. We are freaking out!

John Kasaian
26-Jan-2015, 10:13
We could sure use that East Coast snow in the Sierra!

Andrew O'Neill
26-Jan-2015, 10:46
The Pineapple Express came to Vancouver and dumped about 70mm of rain on us last week. Being from Saskatchewan, give me snow any day.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Jan-2015, 11:20
As my grandfather in Quebec would say, "Prepare! Bring a bundle of wood inside, gather candles, canned food, good cigars, brandy and snowshoes by the door should we run out of brandy!"

Seriously, the coastal flooding concerns me greatly. I lived there for a long time. It seems (don't have stats) that it becomes worse as time passes.

Best to all there.
--
J - in the tropics of Minnesota

ghostcount
26-Jan-2015, 11:56
Someone loves the snow.

Someone loves the sand. :cool:

http://www.oceanstyles.com/images/christmas/KX43.jpg

Greg Miller
26-Jan-2015, 12:00
As my grandfather in Quebec would say, "Prepare! Bring a bundle of wood inside, gather candles, canned food, good cigars, brandy and snowshoes by the door should we run out of brandy!"

Seriously, the coastal flooding concerns me greatly. I lived there for a long time. It seems (don't have stats) that it becomes worse as time passes.

Best to all there.
--
J - in the tropics of Minnesota

Your Grandmother in Quebec would probably say "Pshaw, 30" of snow is just a dusting. Get back to work!".

paulr
26-Jan-2015, 12:26
Right now it's just sharp little flakes blowing around. Should start dumping tonight. I'm hoping everything shuts down tomorrow so I can have some fun in Prospect Park.

The saddest thing here is that our best hills are bumps that wouldn't even get noticed in some parts of the country, but you see kids with sleds lined up for a hundred feet, waiting for their few seconds of freedom.

jp
26-Jan-2015, 12:53
Flooding in my area is caused by a combination of tide and winds. Tide cycle is low right now, so flooding is not expected.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Jan-2015, 12:57
Flooding in my area is caused by a combination of tide and winds. Tide cycle is low right now, so flooding is not expected.

I hope you are right. There are going to be terrific winds coming onshore from the East, with the worst beginning tomorrow. I hope the weather predictors are wrong.

bob carnie
26-Jan-2015, 13:30
The best time of the year for me is when the city shuts down from a heavy snowfall, somehow my wife gets me through the roads, she is a trooper and I spend some of my best printing
days when everyone is freaking out.

Right now it's just sharp little flakes blowing around. Should start dumping tonight. I'm hoping everything shuts down tomorrow so I can have some fun in Prospect Park.

The saddest thing here is that our best hills are bumps that wouldn't even get noticed in some parts of the country, but you see kids with sleds lined up for a hundred feet, waiting for their few seconds of freedom.

Nodda Duma
26-Jan-2015, 14:51
Here in southern NH classes for the kids have already been cancelled. I'll be staying home so I'll have my camera out and about.

Sirius Glass
26-Jan-2015, 15:19
When I was working in Virginia and there was a threat of snow, they would run around screaming "We will all be killed! We will all be killed! We will all be killed!"

diversey
26-Jan-2015, 15:28
Year 1899 blizzard in NYC
http://www.shorpy.com/node/19106?size=_original#caption

Willie
26-Jan-2015, 15:29
A blizzard is blowing or drifting snow, 35mph and higher winds for a minimum of 3 hours. Too many in media and even broadcast weather fakers don't seem to understand this. Severe winter storms, Blizzard conditions, Blizzard-like conditions, Winter storms... a lot to choose from and too many who don't know what they really are.

Tim Meisburger
26-Jan-2015, 17:13
When I was working in Virginia and there was a threat of snow, they would run around screaming "We will all be killed! We will all be killed! We will all be killed!"

I'm from Virginia and I resemble that remark! The only people I remember who could not drive in the snow were transients from places like Florida and California.:p

StoneNYC
26-Jan-2015, 17:19
Year 1899 blizzard in NYC
http://www.shorpy.com/node/19106?size=_original#caption

Wow that's an excellent dry plate! Holy wow! How did they get that depth and brightness and speed on a plate? I'm really curious as I thought those were around ASA 10 or less, looks "stop motion" as the horse appears to be stepping forward, though that could be an illusion I still don't see any movement at all. I know it was bright but still... That looks like f/22 or so, at 10 ASA that would be 1/5th of a second or so. Also the contrast is really reduced, so it almost looked pulled... So curious and I'm sure the details are lost to history...

StoneNYC
26-Jan-2015, 17:19
A blizzard is blowing or drifting snow, 35mph and higher winds for a minimum of 3 hours. Too many in media and even broadcast weather fakers don't seem to understand this. Severe winter storms, Blizzard conditions, Blizzard-like conditions, Winter storms... a lot to choose from and too many who don't know what they really are.

It's been that way since noon here in CT... It's a blizzard...

Winger
26-Jan-2015, 19:31

True. Though in this case, the forecasters in MA are saying:
Midnight-6 a.m.
Blizzard arrives. The storm will begin to peak after midnight. Snowfall rates could range from 2-4″ per hour with very heavy bands rotating northward. Sustained winds between 20-40 mph across all of Eastern Massachusetts with gusts 40-60 mph. Right at the coastline and particularly over Cape Cod and the Islands, wind gusts could exceed 60 mph, reaching near hurricane force (74 mph).

And I'm stuck out here in Iowa with no snow on the ground and none predicted. It was in the 50s today and will be above freezing most of this week. I miss MA and lots of snow. :(

Darin Boville
27-Jan-2015, 00:07
I'm from Virginia and I resemble that remark! The only people I remember who could not drive in the snow were transients from places like Florida and California.:p

When I moved to the DC area from Cambridge, Massachusetts--I was born in raised in northern Ohio--I was astonished at how dangerous the roads were in DC with just a dusting of snow. People went berzerk, driving way too fast, not comprehending what to do in a slide. Very scary. I learned to stay home even in light snow. When I moved to California I was surprised to discover almost the same phenomena in the SF Bay area but this time when it rained heavily. People didn't seem to comprehend the concept of hydroplaning, drove even faster than normal. Crazy scary. To make matters worse the road engineering our here seems very different from northern Ohio. Roads don't rdain water very well, water pools in the middle of the highway, etc.

I hope New York (and especially Boston) does ok with this one--I suspect there will be more of these events in the future...

--Darin

Bruce Barlow
27-Jan-2015, 04:01
The storm moved into my part of Maine about midnight. It's now 6 am, and there's no accumulation on my van because the wind is so constant and strong.

Good day to develop 120, and I've got lots. Bread dough is proofing, too. Good coffee, lots of food, radio, Netflix, good wine, a bottle of great beer, Barlow Trail Whisky (yes, that's how the Oregonians spell it), Jay Maisel's great book. So, many choices.

It's going to be a wonderful day.

Fotoguy20d
27-Jan-2015, 05:29
Good luck to all in New England. I'm 10 miles outside NYC and it was a whole lot of nothing here. I shoveled the 4" of snow when I got home from work yesterday afternoon. There's all of an inch fresh from overnight, and no significant wind. Forecasters blew that one for here anyway. As of last night NOAA was still predicting around 2 feet for my area.

Dan

jp
27-Jan-2015, 07:40
https://plus.google.com/110213069218089191660/posts/8QtYuZe474K?pid=6109026883152492466&oid=110213069218089191660

A little video clip looking out my office window. Quite windy and snow has caused "summertime fog" levels of visibility. Starting to drift good. Hard to estimate accumulation so far on account of the drifting.

Nodda Duma
27-Jan-2015, 08:02
I think there's about 8-10" on the ground here in Southern NH, lots more of course where the drifts are. And there's a decent wind. The brunt of the storm hit further east and north of where they predicted...go figure, it's a Nor'Easter.

Ken Lee
27-Jan-2015, 08:13
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/WinterShoot.jpg

The window light is soft when it snows.

Jmarmck
27-Jan-2015, 08:19
I am extremely jealous of all of you! It is heading to about 55 degrees today, sunny with little wind. Although some would consider this to be a grand day, and it is, I would much rather be ass deep in a snow drift or like Ken, taking advantage of the unusual light.

Hope you all are well and warm. Enjoy!

StoneNYC
27-Jan-2015, 09:23

No plow yet...

Sal Santamaura
27-Jan-2015, 09:30
...The window light is soft when it snows.It'd be even softer with a larger window. :)

Winger
27-Jan-2015, 09:41
I am extremely jealous of all of you! It is heading to about 55 degrees today, sunny with little wind. Although some would consider this to be a grand day, and it is, I would much rather be ass deep in a snow drift or like Ken, taking advantage of the unusual light.

Hope you all are well and warm. Enjoy!

+1

koh303
27-Jan-2015, 11:31
Snow is out waist deep outside our warehouse :) and still coming.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10551102_704067863045386_4328507809831384479_n.jpg?oh=070b09cb2a04eb1bc0d585f4d1600f40&oe=556DD6BA&__gda__=1433101570_0418371c92d3a9c761acf0c89f0ffe8a
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10685405_704067869712052_6124509296036124945_n.jpg?oh=da5d196cfc7b6ec83300536a6c6780f3&oe=555C76D1&__gda__=1432362765_05fd93f8fd1c63a1fc03d25bb5d28446

Ken Lee
27-Jan-2015, 11:34
https://plus.google.com/110213069218089191660/posts/8QtYuZe474K?pid=6109026883152492466&oid=110213069218089191660

A little video clip looking out my office window.

Heavenly !!

Jerry Bodine
27-Jan-2015, 11:58
I think there's about 8-10" on the ground here in Southern NH, lots more of course where the drifts are. And there's a decent wind. The brunt of the storm hit further east and north of where they predicted...go figure, it's a Nor'Easter.

I'm pretty sure LFers would agree that the only "decent wind" is a barely perceptible breeze. Anything stronger is grounds for "indecent" grumbling.

I was living in north Jersey around 1950 and recall a 3-footer, followed by ice clinging to everything.

jp
27-Jan-2015, 12:28
Further you go into New England the more we like understatement about things like weather. For some people it's being tough and acclimated. For other people it's about not being b****y about mother nature.

StoneNYC
27-Jan-2015, 14:14
Further you go into New England the more we like understatement about things like weather. For some people it's being tough and acclimated. For other people it's about not being b****y about mother nature.

Yup...

http://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

Nathan Potter
27-Jan-2015, 15:14
The storm moved into my part of Maine about midnight. It's now 6 am, and there's no accumulation on my van because the wind is so constant and strong.

Good day to develop 120, and I've got lots. Bread dough is proofing, too. Good coffee, lots of food, radio, Netflix, good wine, a bottle of great beer, Barlow Trail Whisky (yes, that's how the Oregonians spell it), Jay Maisel's great book. So, many choices.

It's going to be a wonderful day.

Bruce, you echo my words exactly when I lived in MA. During the great blizzard of 1978 in Framingham which was near the center of the highest snowfall (46 inches around my backyard) I spent the week in the darkroom - one of the most productive periods for such work in my life. I miss that kind of snow. Alas, I see my thermometer reads just 80F on my back deck in Austin TX.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jp
27-Jan-2015, 15:25
Walked to the beach for some fresh air this afternoon. Owls Head Maine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_8my-2Wxj4

Jerry Bodine
27-Jan-2015, 15:43

If this was not at high tide, consider a repeat at that time - would make a great before/after series (assuming sufficient light then).

bobwysiwyg
27-Jan-2015, 16:00
At the risk of sounding masochistic, I envy you folks in the north-east. After 20 years with a small two-stroke Toro snow blower and last winters 100 inches of snow and the dreaded two words "polar vortex" I decided it was time for a new, more powerful one (also Toro). As it stands, I will be hard pressed to get the needed two hours of operation this winter for its first oil change. :) Love the Maine coast. Must put a return on my bucket list. ;)

Ken Lee
27-Jan-2015, 16:52

Fresh air indeed !

Nodda Duma
27-Jan-2015, 17:53
I'm pretty sure LFers would agree that the only "decent wind" is a barely perceptible breeze. Anything stronger is grounds for "indecent" grumbling.

I was living in north Jersey around 1950 and recall a 3-footer, followed by ice clinging to everything.

Yeah my definition of wind has been permanently skewed by 10 years in the desert, where the Santa Anna winds would be 20-30 mph sustained for days, sometimes 50 mph sustained, and one year hit 70.

Twice I tried to set up my astrophotography rig in 15 mph winds. Film astrophotos require 1 hour exposures. The results were horrific.

Anyways, it's a New Hampshire tradition to clear your driveway and then go for a drive when the roads haven't been cleaned off. I took the kids to Walmart and bought the stuff for hot chocolate. Now they're running around high on sugar after a full day outside playing in the snow.

Jerry Bodine
27-Jan-2015, 18:11
I took the kids to Walmart and bought the stuff for hot chocolate. Now they're running around high on sugar after a full day outside playing in the snow.

Sounds like a good plan for LF gear sherpas. Don't I wish I still had that kind of energy - time changes everything.

jp
27-Jan-2015, 18:29
If this was not at high tide, consider a repeat at that time - would make a great before/after series (assuming sufficient light then).

This is high tide. Big surf style waves come after a couple days of wind and this is just the first day of big wind. Tomorrow afternoon will probably have bigger waves even if the wind is reduced.

Tim Meisburger
28-Jan-2015, 02:05
Yeah my definition of wind has been permanently skewed by 10 years in the desert, where the Santa Anna winds would be 20-30 mph sustained for days, sometimes 50 mph sustained, and one year hit 70.

Twice I tried to set up my astrophotography rig in 15 mph winds. Film astrophotos require 1 hour exposures. The results were horrific.

Anyways, it's a New Hampshire tradition to clear your driveway and then go for a drive when the roads haven't been cleaned off. I took the kids to Walmart and bought the stuff for hot chocolate. Now they're running around high on sugar after a full day outside playing in the snow.

Kids high on chocolate and snow. Those were the days, my friend...