PDA

View Full Version : Show your SPEED GRAPHICs!

goamules
5-Jan-2015, 09:26
What do you do when you're at a flea market and come upon a lonely Speed Graphic? I usually pass them by, but this kit was so complete, I had to get it. It has two bag magazines (one is strangely a lot thicker, must hold more film). Two lenses, 2 boxes of unopened 1959 film (dare I shoot it?!), about 10 shutter cables of various lengths, an Eastman tripod brace, a printing frame....on and on. Cool Fender Tweed type case. It even had a couple packs of negatives, some of a girl in cats eye glasses, some of a dusty Arizona street in the 1940s.

....then I got home and discovered it was the 3x4 size. Doh!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8603/16014238909_f92263e6ab_o.jpg

FrankS
5-Jan-2015, 09:34
Try to find a roll film holder for your 3x4.

Tracy Storer
5-Jan-2015, 10:11
3.25"x4.25" is a nice size, "quarter plate" actually. I have 2 speeders in QP, and a reducing back for my V8 !

goamules
5-Jan-2015, 10:29
I don't think they make a roll film adapter for this size.

Dan Fromm
5-Jan-2015, 10:38
I don't think they make a roll film adapter for this size.

Um, Garrett, several centuries ago I bought and later resold a 3x4 Adapt-A-Roll 620.

goamules
5-Jan-2015, 10:56
Yeah, I'm researching them more, they were made but are uncommon. If I could go back in time, to the 1920s, I'd buy one from you. We'd all be wearing hats, and driving Model A's of course.

Tin Can
5-Jan-2015, 11:07
So we assume it's a Graphic Spring back?

I think 3x4 is an ideal size, not too small and not too big in the 3 little bears family.

Tin Can
5-Jan-2015, 11:10
Yeah, I'm researching them more, they were made but are uncommon. If I could go back in time, to the 1920s, I'd buy one from you. We'd all be wearing hats, and driving Model A's of course.

Wait, I wear a fedora all the time and have for 35 years. Those Model A' are overrated. I'm a aircooled VW fan. (pun)?

I also just finished my double espresso, so...

Corran
5-Jan-2015, 11:39
Here's my Army Signal Corps KE-12 Speed Graphic, complete with blacked-out lensboard and 127mm Ektar.
I actually bought the camera first, and then found the Ektar on another Speed Graphic. The shutter on the lens is shot but the camera works great. It's interesting, as it is a bit of a hybrid between the Anniversary and Pacemaker models (but mostly it's a Pacemaker). I think technically the Ektar was from a camera that had the gear box thing at the front for focusing, due to the knurled edge of the front element. I'm not really up with the many types and varieties of wartime cameras so don't quote me on that.

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/sgbg-1.jpg

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/sgbg-2.jpg

goamules
5-Jan-2015, 11:47
Nice one. I'd definitely keep that just for all the history.

Randy, since you have the hat, I'll sell you the camera!

Old-N-Feeble
5-Jan-2015, 11:59
Try to find a roll film holder for your 3x4.

They're harder to find than for 2x3cm or 4x5in but Graflex/Singer made them for 3x4in Graflok... if you have a Graflok back. Just be patient and keep looking.

Michael Graves
5-Jan-2015, 11:59
I love my fedora, but on photo trips I usually wear the Stetson. It's better for shading the eyes.

Corran
5-Jan-2015, 12:09
Nice one. I'd definitely keep that just for all the history.

Oh absolutely. I only paid a few bills for it. The rangefinder is calibrated and it works great (http://valdostafilm.blogspot.com/2012/11/sports-photographywith-4x5.html). I've had several people offer to buy it from me! :cool:

JoeV
5-Jan-2015, 15:43
They're harder to find than for 2x3cm or 4x5in but Graflex/Singer made them for 3x4in Graflok... if you have a Graflok back. Just be patient and keep looking.

Or use it with paper negatives, easily cut down to size from larger sheets in one's darkroom.

~Joe

Dan Fromm
5-Jan-2015, 16:01

Interesting. A new film format. Who'd have expected one to pop up in a discussion of cameras that haven't been made for quite a while?

2.25" x 3.25", OnF, 6x9 in metric.

Leonard Robertson
5-Jan-2015, 17:27
If the bag mags fit the back on the Speed, then you have a Graflex back, not a Graflok or spring back. The sheet film holders peeking out of the cool suitcase appear to be for a Graflex back, with a slot in the face instead of a raised ridge like normal sheet film holders. They probably have slots down the long edges, but I can't see from the picture. According to "Graphic Graflex Photography" (11th edition) by Willard D. Morgan, bag mags were made for 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" Graflex backs in both 12 exposure and 18 exposure capacities. I'm assuming your thicker one is an 18 shot. Two different roll film holders were made for 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" Graflex backs - 12 exposure (2 1/4" square format) and 8 exposure (2 1/4" X 3 1/4" format). But that isn't to say it will be easy to find a 3X4 Graflex roll back.

Years ago at a camera swap I saw a nice clean Crown Graphic with a Graflok back offered at a very attractive price. I handled it and was really tempted to buy it, but something about it didn't seem quite right. It wasn't until I saw some slightly larger Crowns on other tables that I realized I almost bought a 3X4 thinking it was a 4X5.

I'm trying to herd my Speeds together so they can pose for a group photo. I once read in a book on collector tractors that you should never store all your tractors together in one place, so the wife can't tell how many you actually own. I use the same philosophy for cameras, but then it is sometime difficult for me to find them myself!

Len

Tin Can
5-Jan-2015, 18:23
OK Len!

I will pile mine up also.

Class picture.

WayneStevenson
5-Jan-2015, 18:47

djdister
5-Jan-2015, 19:07
This was my Speed Graphic, which I had for over 30 years. I sold it for more modern gear, but still miss it sometimes. That bellows was still absolutely bullet proof, and the rangefinder and focal plane shutter still worked. Oh well...

127596 127597

Oren Grad
5-Jan-2015, 20:39
OK, here's my 3.25x4.25 Anniversary Speed, photographed with my 4x5 Pre-Anniversary Speed and a ~ 5" Gundlach projection lens, ex-Galli. This is the correct order of things: quarter-plate is the Ideal Small Large Format, but 4x5 still has some residual utility for documenting this fact. :)

PS 1: This picture qualifies to be included under the new rules because it was made on 4x5.

PS 2: The camera's sourpuss companion in the picture is making faces at the 4x5.

:p

http://www.orengrad.com/LFF/LFF-ASG34.jpg

Corran
5-Jan-2015, 20:55
Oooh, I like that color Wayne.

Doug Herta
5-Jan-2015, 23:52
I don't have a problem with collecting Graphics... I can stop at any time....

The Speed Graphic's serial number and lens both appear to indicate 1946:

The side rangefinder Crown Graphic dates to around 1953 and the top rangefinder to 1958-59:

The Super Graphic is from around 1958, and the Super Speed Graphic probably around 1962:

I use all of them, but my favorite one to use is probably the top rangefinder Crown Graphic. The top rangefinder is easy to see through and in low light you can press a button to shine a split beam that helps focus.

The Speed Graphic has a regular spring back so it is not compatible with the Fuji instant holder or the Grafmatic holders. I tried putting in longer screws to hold the spring back further back to use thicker holders, but since I have obtained the other cameras which have Graflock backs it is not a big deal any more. Like most cameras of this age, the silvering in the split finder mirrors for the rangefinder has faded so it is hard to focus. It is the total Weegee camera setup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Weegee-International_Center_of_Photography.jpg

The Super Graphics are really fun, but I have jury-rigged ill-fitting Chinese batteries to power the internal solenoid. They are pretty dependable with the way I have them set up, but it is not optimal. Proper sized 22.5 volt Eveready 412 equivalent batteries are still available, but 2 at $25 EACH to power up one camera is a bit much. There was a guy on Flickr who was designing an alternate to the 412 batteries - it used modern batteries in series to come up with the voltage and a case the would work correctly with the location of the contacts in the confines of the battery area on the camera. I may pick up where he left off.

Old-N-Feeble
5-Jan-2015, 23:56
Interesting. A new film format. Who'd have expected one to pop up in a discussion of cameras that haven't been made for quite a while?

2.25" x 3.25", OnF, 6x9 in metric.

Thanks for the correction, DF.:)

WayneStevenson
6-Jan-2015, 06:49
Oooh, I like that color Wayne.

Thanks. :D It was a pain in the ass to re-skin it. But I'm glad I did it.

Michael Cienfuegos
6-Jan-2015, 10:04
I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. (My GF accused me of being a pack rat)

My 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 Speeds:

My 4x5 Speeds:

Michael Cienfuegos
6-Jan-2015, 10:22

I haven't seen one for a Graflok back, but I do have one 3x4 Speed with a Graflex back. I can use my bag mag on that one.

m

djdister
6-Jan-2015, 11:39
I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. (My GF accused me of being a pack rat)

My 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 Speeds:

Mama Graphic, Baby Graphic, and Papa Graphic...

dodphotography
6-Jan-2015, 15:30
Anyone willing to send a Pacemaker 4x5 my way? As long as the bellows are tight and the rear focal shutter works I am happy!

Bill_1856
6-Jan-2015, 16:24
Great Thread!
(Do other members of the Graflex family count (such as Crown Graphics)?

jp
6-Jan-2015, 16:34
I'm enjoying this. (I have a preanniversary, WWII era anniversary pacemaker frankenstein, and a normal pacemaker that is used only for a big lens shutter.)

Dan Fromm
6-Jan-2015, 17:10
I don't qualify. Pacemaker Speed, 2 Pacemaker Crowns, 1 Century, all 2x3ers. Not an LF camera in the lot.

djdister
6-Jan-2015, 17:12
Graflex SLRs might need a separate thread...

Michael Cienfuegos
6-Jan-2015, 17:23
Graflex SLRs might need a separate thread...

I have a few of those, too. I need a 5x7 to fill out the Graflex SLR Family.

:)

m

djdister
6-Jan-2015, 17:29
I have a few of those, too. I need a 5x7 to fill out the Graflex SLR Family.

:)

m

I have a 5x7 Graflex Series B with working focal plane shutter. It makes a satisfying THUMP when you click the shutter, but that sound mostly originates from the mirror flipping up.

Tin Can
6-Jan-2015, 18:57
I don't qualify. Pacemaker Speed, 2 Pacemaker Crowns, 1 Century, all 2x3ers. Not an LF camera in the lot.

You are correct, when I show mine, I will put them in a tiny format thread WITH my 4X5 Speed, as they all really eat together.

Michael Cienfuegos
7-Jan-2015, 00:09
You are correct, when I show mine, I will put them in a tiny format thread WITH my 4X5 Speed, as they all really eat together.

I showed five Speeds, Three 4x5s vs one each 3x4 and 2x3. I guess the 4x5's trump the little ones. :D

m

jriosa
7-Jan-2015, 00:46
Don't forget once a year ilford will issue custom cut film in that size. You just need to pre order. Watch their site

AtlantaTerry
7-Jan-2015, 02:28
I have a 4x5 Auto RB Graflex that needs some moderate restoration work. Any suggestions on who can do this for me?

Michael Cienfuegos
7-Jan-2015, 11:10
I have a 4x5 Auto RB Graflex that needs some moderate restoration work. Any suggestions on who can do this for me?

"Shutterfinger" on APUG, aka 45PSS on graflex.org is a great resource for learning how to maintain your SLR.

m

Leonard Robertson
7-Jan-2015, 16:48
I think this is all my Speeds. The two lower left are 2X3s - a Pacemaker and a Miniature Speed. Upper right is a 5X7 "Top Handle". The rest are all 4X5s - one Pre-Anniversary, four Anniversaries, and two Pacemakers. Oddly no 3X4s ever followed me home. I have lenses enough for all the cameras, but didn't take time to dig up suitable lens boards. The "risers' for the back row are a suitcase one of the Annis came in and a stack of three "Graphic Graflex Photography" books (under the two Pacemakers).

Len

Tin Can
7-Jan-2015, 16:52
I think this is all my Speeds. The two lower left are 2X3s - a Pacemaker and a Miniature Speed. Upper right is a 5X7 "Top Handle". The rest are all 4X5s - one Pre-Anniversary, four Anniversaries, and two Pacemakers. Oddly no 3X4s ever followed me home. I have lenses enough for all the cameras, but didn't take time to dig up suitable lens boards. The "risers' for the back row are a suitcase one of the Annis came in and a stack of three "Graphic Graflex Photography" books (under the two Pacemakers).

Len

Wonderfull collection! I am skipping 5x7, as I have Linhof and Rittreck in that size.

I'm rounding mine up, they like to hide...

Larry Kellogg
7-Jan-2015, 16:57
Wonderfull collection! I am skipping 5x7, as I have Linhof and Rittreck in that size.

I'm rounding mine up, they like to hide...

Glad to see a picture of a 5x7 Top Handle, I can tell I won't be handholding that thing.

Do you think there is any chance we could talk the TravelWide guys into a plastic 5x7? ;-)

Tin Can
7-Jan-2015, 17:01
Glad to see a picture of a 5x7 Top Handle, I can tell I won't be handholding that thing.

Do you think there is any chance we could talk the TravelWide guys into a plastic 5x7? ;-)

It wood be nice!

mdarnton
7-Jan-2015, 18:12
5x7 being my favorite format, a Speed in that size is definitely on the list, but I don't see them too often....

Larry Kellogg
7-Jan-2015, 20:00
Yeah, I was interested in getting one until I saw the size of it. I already have a Wisner 5x7 so I would definitely need a plastic 5x7.

pierre506
8-Jan-2015, 05:07
It's my Speed Graphic 3.25X4.25~

I modified it with a Mamiya viewer.

Now it can load Mamiya Universal 6x7 and 6x9 roll film holders.

Loading a Polaroid holder.

Dan Fromm
8-Jan-2015, 05:09
Pierre, its a medium format camera. Taboo.

All that nonsense aside, congratulations on modifying it to accept Mamiya Press roll holders.

Bob Harden
8-Jan-2015, 09:41
I have a small collection of Graflexes most notable are 5- C-3s all from 1941-1943, a couple purchased from the men who used them in the war. A C-6 and a very rare C-4 (bottom row 2 from right) The crown beside it has a Polaroid back, basically a Polaroid 95 would’ve hated to carry that all day. A lone 3x4 (top left) who somehow escaped being serial numbered.

Michael Cienfuegos
8-Jan-2015, 09:44

What amazes me is that the press photographers used 5x7 Speeds and Graflexes all the time. The 4x5 is heavy enough, can you imagine lugging a 5x7 Graflex SLR everywhere? With a bag-mag on board it would be quite a load.

m

Jim C.
8-Jan-2015, 10:59
What amazes me is that the press photographers used 5x7 Speeds and Graflexes all the time. The 4x5 is heavy enough, can you imagine lugging a 5x7 Graflex SLR everywhere? With a bag-mag on board it would be quite a load.

m

The guys that used 5x7's were definitely a hardy bunch !

Larry Kellogg
8-Jan-2015, 11:07
The guys that used 5x7's were definitely a hardy bunch !

Definitely, or they drove up in their cars, jumped out, and walked fifty feet to get the shot.

What would be good focal length for a plastic 5x7? ;-) I'm sure it would be tough to get enough backers. I'm willing to pay up to $400-500 for such a beast.

Tin Can
8-Jan-2015, 11:46
Definitely, or they drove up in their cars, jumped out, and walked fifty feet to get the shot.

What would be good focal length for a plastic 5x7? ;-) I'm sure it would be tough to get enough backers. I'm willing to pay up to $400-500 for such a beast.

I would want 210 mm Copal 1 Calter IIE f6.8 as it is one of the lightest and smallest modern 210's in a good shutter.

And I own 2 of them.

jp
8-Jan-2015, 12:42

m

Surely no heavier than a Nikon/Canon pro body and a couple lenses and a laptop.

Larry Kellogg
8-Jan-2015, 15:14
I would want 210 mm Copal 1 Calter IIE f6.8 as it is one of the lightest and smallest modern 210's in a good shutter.

And I own 2 of them.

Yeah, I guess it's a mad dream, though, a plastic 5x7. Sigh.

Leonard Robertson
8-Jan-2015, 16:23
I weighed a few cameras on my old kitchen scale (which probably isn't accurate to the ounce, so I'll round weights to the nearest 1/4 pound).

The Top Handle 5X7 Speed with spring back without lens is a surprisingly light 6 1/2 lbs. It does have an added-on Kalart rangefinder which adds a slight amount over the original weight.

A 4X5 Anniversary Speed with spring back without lens weighs 5 1/2 lbs. (6 lbs. with shuttered 127mm Ektar). I think the 4X5 is so close to the weight of the 5X7 because it is built more stoutly, with more metal on the front standard and bed.

A 5X7 Graflex B with Kodak barrel Anastigmat lens and 12 exposure bag mag weighs 11 1/2 pounds. Taking off the bag mag drops it down to 9 1/4 lbs. The lens on a Graflex B isn't on a lens board and this one doesn't want to unscrew from the flange, but I suppose the lens alone may weigh 3/4 pound or more. Although the Graflex reflex is heavier than the 5X7 Speed, it is used at waist level rather than needing to be raised to eye level.

A light weight 5X7 I came across while digging out the others is a Kodak No. 9 Premo that weighs 4 3/4 lbs. It is also more compact than the 5X7 Speed, but of course it doesn't have the focal plane shutter.

Len

Larry Kellogg
8-Jan-2015, 16:53
My Wisner 5x7 weighs 5 1/2 pounds.

Let's speculate, so, if a TravelWide with small Angulon 90mm lens and film holder weighs 1 pound 6 ounces, how much would a plastic 5x7 weigh? 3 pounds? 2 1/2?

Oren Grad
8-Jan-2015, 17:08
In general, rigid-body LF P&S cameras make most sense for wide-to-ultrawide lenses, and the larger the format, the relatively wider it needs to be, because you'll be carrying around a rigid cone long enough to allow for infinity focus, and because as FL increases you need ever more travel for the helical to allow reasonably close focus. There's a listing right now on eBay for a Cambo Wide (4x5) that's been adapted with a cone for a 180, and it looks quite unwieldy.

I'd like a 5x7 P&S, myself.

Anyway, we should probably take the plastic-5x7-camera daydreaming to a separate thread.

Larry Kellogg
9-Jan-2015, 09:19
Anyway, we should probably take the plastic-5x7-camera daydreaming to a separate thread.

Agreed. I've created this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?119248-5x7-Plastic-Camera-Daydreams&p=1205292#post1205292

Let's see how much interest we can generate for such a beast.