PDA

View Full Version : In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

Bruce B
1-Jan-2015, 07:45
Hi,

Looking for something usable to carry 4x5 lenses when out and about. Mine are mounted on Horseman/Sinar lens boards, and I currently carry them either in an old brief case or wrapped in cushiony lens wraps in a Gregory backpack. All suggestions welcomed, and thanks in advance, BAB.

Curtis Nelson
1-Jan-2015, 08:00
I use a small insulated / padded lunch box from WalMart (it actually belonged to one of my daughters). I carry my 150 and 210 inside, with a small piece of foam between them. And you can't beat purple and pink stripes :)

Light Guru
1-Jan-2015, 09:09
Hard lens caps on both ends then wrapped in a padded lens wraps. If I'm carrying all 3 of my lenses (90mm, 150mm and 210mm) with me into the field I put the wrapped up lenses into a small stuff sack that then goes into my backpack.

Peter Collins
1-Jan-2015, 09:23
Well, I'm a photobackpacker client. The padded, zippered boxes work just fine for me.

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2015, 09:36
You could get a nice empty wooden cigar box with a good latch and glue in dividers to separate your lens boards. Cushion accordingly and keep it closed with an old belt.

Bruce B
1-Jan-2015, 11:47
I use a small insulated / padded lunch box from WalMart (it actually belonged to one of my daughters). I carry my 150 and 210 inside, with a small piece of foam between them. And you can't beat purple and pink stripes :)

I've thought about something like that -- perhaps a padded cooler for beer :).

Bruce B
1-Jan-2015, 11:49
Hard lens caps on both ends then wrapped in a padded lens wraps. If I'm carrying all 3 of my lenses (90mm, 150mm and 210mm) with me into the field I put the wrapped up lenses into a small stuff sack that then goes into my backpack.

Good idea, however I might prefer something where the lenses wouldn't be stacked, and which could be carried separate from my backpack. Good idea, though. Especially the waterproof stuff sacks.
Thanks, BAB

Bruce B
1-Jan-2015, 11:50
Well, I'm a photobackpacker client. The padded, zippered boxes work just fine for me.

Might you suggest such an animal? Thanks, BAB

Bruce B
1-Jan-2015, 11:52
You could get a nice empty wooden cigar box with a good latch and glue in dividers to separate your lens boards. Cushion accordingly and keep it closed with an old belt.

I thought of building such a box. It would certainly be protective, however my Horseman already fits into a plywood box that probably weighs more than the camera :). I was hoping for something a bit lighter. Thanks, though.

Daniel Stone
1-Jan-2015, 12:24
I've found that the small lunch-size containers from Igloo/Coleman/etc. seem to work very well for short-term field storage for LF-related items(in particularly lenses, holders, etc...

I carry my "kit" in a Pelican case, but if wandering farther away from the road with that "full kit" than my sanity will allow, I use a small lunchbox cooler, padded with some semi-rigid rubberized foam(from a cheap yoga mat sourced from the thrift store, same place I got the cooler!)

My "kit" all decked out, ready to go at a moments notice. I made the dividers with easily sourced materials.

The small handheld cooler I use when I only want to carry a few small items( couple of 4x5/5x7 holders, a spare lens or two, and some basic accessories(loupe, meter, etc). Camera gets mounted to the tripod, which gets carried over my shoulder, case in the other hand.

-Dan

Ari
1-Jan-2015, 12:27
Beautiful job, Dan; I'm wondering if you might be able to squeeze in another film holder if you place them head-to-toe. :)

Bruce B
1-Jan-2015, 13:28
I've found that the small lunch-size containers from Igloo/Coleman/etc. seem to work very well for short-term field storage for LF-related items(in particularly lenses, holders, etc...

I carry my "kit" in a Pelican case, but if wandering farther away from the road with that "full kit" than my sanity will allow, I use a small lunchbox cooler, padded with some semi-rigid rubberized foam(from a cheap yoga mat sourced from the thrift store, same place I got the cooler!)

My "kit" all decked out, ready to go at a moments notice. I made the dividers with easily sourced materials.

The small handheld cooler I use when I only want to carry a few small items( couple of 4x5/5x7 holders, a spare lens or two, and some basic accessories(loupe, meter, etc). Camera gets mounted to the tripod, which gets carried over my shoulder, case in the other hand.

-Dan

Another great beer cooler idea :), Thanks.

I was just poking around in my studio closet and discovered a small camera bag that came with my Fuji X-E1, and which I only use occasionally if I'm carrying too many digital lenses. I can slip two 4x5 lenses into it, with the lenses turned slightly and plenty of room for a foam divider. Since I mount a lens on the camera (it's a monorail L-frame Horsemen that packs into a very sturdy and padded plywood box) that means I can carry three lenses with a minimum of hassle. I'll just have to buy another Jill-E bag insert for the extra digital lenses I carry when shooting architecture. If you haven't seen one of these, they're quite inexpensive and slip very nicely into a shoulder bag or backpack. And quite inexpensive. See here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886316-REG/Jill_E_Designs_340993_E_Go_Camera_Insert.html. It's 10.5 x 3.5 x 6.25, and the strap is removable so it's easy to get into and out of a pack. When traveling I carry the X-E1 with a 27mm lens attached plus the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. Fits easily into the underseat shoulder bag I carry onto airplanes. It would also hold two or three 4x5 lenses, depending on the size of the lens board.

Thanks much for all the great suggestions. Seems I should pay more attention to lunch bags and small coolers :).

Cheers, BAB

chassis
1-Jan-2015, 13:54
I carry normally one lens into the field, rarely two lenses. They are on boards, wrapped with a lens wrap, and carried in one of the main compartments of a JanSport day pack.

Daniel Stone
1-Jan-2015, 14:11
There is a second, usually unmentioned side benefit to using a cooler to hold camera gear: SECURITY

A camera bag/hard case(like a Pelican or Lowepro/Tamrac) can attract the wrong attention in some cases. Most would-be thieves won't give a cooler a second thought when they see it in the back seat of a car, where as a pelican case or expensive camera backpack screams "steal me!"

Also, because these coolers are designed to insulate the interior away from the exterior temperature, it can be great for keeping equipment cool on hot days. And since many larger coolers also incorporate rolling wheels and retracting handles, moving them around is usually quite easy. Many can also double as a seat, when you're waiting for the light to be just right, or when the ground is wet, and you don't feel like having a soaked bum ;)

Especially for monorail users, dividers can be easily constructed(similar in design to how I made my own set for the Pelican case, pictured), and quite inexpensively, depending on what materials are chosen.

But for me, the security factor is the most desirable trait that these coolers provide. Expensive and sometimes rare gear is hard to replace, so some forethought is usually a good idea, depending on one's surroundings when out taking pictures.

-Dan

Jac@stafford.net
1-Jan-2015, 15:13
When I have to pack the works, I use a backpack given to me. It is a Canon with moveable dividers and lots of pockets. It easily accommodates a Linhof Super Technika V, three lenses, viewer, loupe, full set of filters, shade, 6x12 rollfilm back, releases, notebook, meter. For film holders I got a $4 stiff, waterproof military web-belt case. The fit is perfect for 6 holders.

The cool thing about the pack is that the hinky chrome plastic Canon logo has the 'C' snapped off. It reads 'anon'. :)

Tin Can
1-Jan-2015, 15:25

Yep, I always shop for those cheap odd looking small lunch bags. They also are good for film holders.

Sometimes I put my kit in a well worn shopping bag. Tripods are the issue.

Bruce B
1-Jan-2015, 15:28
That's a good note, Dan. The little insert I discussed above is very plain and fits nicely out of sight into any pack. I dislike camera packs that are emblazoned with logos that say "STEAL ME."

There is a second, usually unmentioned side benefit to using a cooler to hold camera gear: SECURITY

A camera bag/hard case(like a Pelican or Lowepro/Tamrac) can attract the wrong attention in some cases. Most would-be thieves won't give a cooler a second thought when they see it in the back seat of a car, where as a pelican case or expensive camera backpack screams "steal me!"

Also, because these coolers are designed to insulate the interior away from the exterior temperature, it can be great for keeping equipment cool on hot days. And since many larger coolers also incorporate rolling wheels and retracting handles, moving them around is usually quite easy. Many can also double as a seat, when you're waiting for the light to be just right, or when the ground is wet, and you don't feel like having a soaked bum ;)

Especially for monorail users, dividers can be easily constructed(similar in design to how I made my own set for the Pelican case, pictured), and quite inexpensively, depending on what materials are chosen.

But for me, the security factor is the most desirable trait that these coolers provide. Expensive and sometimes rare gear is hard to replace, so some forethought is usually a good idea, depending on one's surroundings when out taking pictures.

-Dan

Daniel Stone
1-Jan-2015, 15:47
Yep, I always shop for those cheap odd looking small lunch bags. They also are good for film holders.

Sometimes I put my kit in a well worn shopping bag. Tripods are the issue.

I just toss it in the trunk of the car.
A large diameter PVC pipe with end caps can work for smaller sized tripods, but most 3-way tripod heads will need to be removed(but could be stored inside the cooler, with the camera gear).

Lots of ways to skin a cat :)

Tin Can
1-Jan-2015, 16:01
I just toss it in the trunk of the car.
A large diameter PVC pipe with end caps can work for smaller sized tripods, but most 3-way tripod heads will need to be removed(but could be stored inside the cooler, with the camera gear).

Lots of ways to skin a cat :)

Car?

Oh yes, you are LA!

I usually use a tripod bag over my shoulder, works on a bike also. Pretty sure most people have no idea what it is.

Working up a bike trailer with plastic stowage box, then I can strap a real tripod on top.

Vaughn
1-Jan-2015, 17:49
Well, this is 8x10, but I still hope most folks have a better 'system' than me! The lenses, darkcloth, meter, and misc pouch is kept in the area above the camera. The 300mm has a hard foam homemade case, one or two lenses in lens wraps and one in a bubble-wrap pouch. The secret is in the loading/reloading the pack on the ground so that everything stacks nice and safe when the pack goes on the back!

When I was traveling with a 4x5, I used one lens -- kept in a lens wrap (and a spare GG in a 4x5 film box). It would have been sweet if the camera design would have allowed me to fold the camera with the lens still on the camera. One less thing to fuss with!

Anti-static ziplock bags for film holders and lenses are nice. There are also anti-static ziplock bubble bags -- just a little more padding.

jp
1-Jan-2015, 19:57
My Husky wide mouth toolbag as pictured holds 4x5 speed graphic, light meter, 6 film holders, 2-3 lenses. Lenses are on their 4" boards with their own domke lens wrap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/8452551342/in/set-72157632415184077

Tin Can
1-Jan-2015, 20:10
My Husky wide mouth toolbag as pictured holds 4x5 speed graphic, light meter, 6 film holders, 2-3 lenses. Lenses are on their 4" boards with their own domke lens wrap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/8452551342/in/set-72157632415184077

Those bags are pretty good. I use the Husky envelope bags for 5x7 holders.

Drew Bedo
1-Jan-2015, 21:45
My lenses are on the smaller Linhoff/Toyo lens boards. I have carried them double wrapped in zip-loc bags (inner) and Crown Royal bags (outer) inside a padded camera bag. I have used "ACID" brand cigar boxes fitted with DIY closed cell inserts . Currently; the lenses are protected by the semi-ridged storage boxes from PhotoBackpacker. This last solution works great.

PBP makes lens boxes that will fit the larger Sinar boards. Hope they are still in business!

Daniel Stone wrote "A camera bag/hard case(like a Pelican or Lowepro/Tamrac) can attract the wrong attention in some cases. Most would-be thieves won't give a cooler a second thought when they see it in the back seat of a car, where as a pelican case or expensive camera backpack screams "steal me!" "

The PhotoBackpacker boxes work well in many types of carry bag. Any hiking pack, roll-around carry-on or even a tote bag can be come a stealth photo bag.

Sirius Glass
1-Jan-2015, 21:49
I have Tamrac 750 and 752 Photo Backpacks that I use to carry either a 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic or a 4"x5" Graflex Model D with Grafmatic backs, filters and lenses. They are no long made but they do show up on the internet.

Robert Oliver
1-Jan-2015, 22:08
I use a Kit Cube Traveler pack from Mountainsmith that goes inside a hiking backpack. It holds Chamonix 4x5, 75, 90, 180, 300, 400t, spot meter, bulb blower, extra ground glass, filter pack, lupe, cable releases, tools, pencil, etc...

http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/camera/kit-cube-traveler-2014.html

Kirk Gittings
1-Jan-2015, 22:36
PBP 3X lens case and a Gnass 3X lens case.

Light Guru
1-Jan-2015, 22:40
Good idea, however I might prefer something where the lenses wouldn't be stacked, and which could be carried separate from my backpack. Good idea, though. Especially the waterproof stuff sacks.
Thanks, BAB

Well my current stuff sack is not waterproof, but that's not a bad idea. If there is ever any hint of rain the pack gets covered with the packs built in rain cover. I just use a normal pack from REI.

Bruce B
2-Jan-2015, 06:22
Those ziplock bags are great in more ways than one. In colder weather, one can bring film and lenses back inside to the warmth without worrying about condensation. When you live in Maine, ziplock bags are a given in one's photo kit. BAB

Well, this is 8x10, but I still hope most folks have a better 'system' than me! The lenses, darkcloth, meter, and misc pouch is kept in the area above the camera. The 300mm has a hard foam homemade case, one or two lenses in lens wraps and one in a bubble-wrap pouch. The secret is in the loading/reloading the pack on the ground so that everything stacks nice and safe when the pack goes on the back!

When I was traveling with a 4x5, I used one lens -- kept in a lens wrap (and a spare GG in a 4x5 film box). It would have been sweet if the camera design would have allowed me to fold the camera with the lens still on the camera. One less thing to fuss with!

Anti-static ziplock bags for film holders and lenses are nice. There are also anti-static ziplock bubble bags -- just a little more padding.

Bruce B
2-Jan-2015, 06:41
Dudes,

What great suggestions, all. Nothing like tapping into the combined experience of dozens (hundreds?) of photographers. Husky tool bags.....I have one for home tools, why didn't I think of that? PBP lens carriers ... did I instantly bookmark their site, or what? Small portable coolers.....I need to visit a couple local stores.....and why didn't I think of that? Mountainsmith packing cubes.

Great stuff! Thanks much, BAB

Bruce Barlow
2-Jan-2015, 06:46
I took my lenses on a shopping date to fit them for plastic freezer containers. I found them to fit lens+board. Then we went shopping for a cooler bag that would hold the plastic containers. Wally World, $12. Holds 3 lens containers. I can put those dry-in-the-oven silica gel canisters in the containers to control moisture. Works for my 120,210,240,300,360, and 19" lenses.

I actually found one container that would fit my 120 and 210 snugly together, and fit in the pocket of my Zone V! bag. Stellar!

You really have to take them along to make sure what you buy fits. Minimal rattling around, and all have lens caps. The board prevents anything banging the shutter, too.

Tom Raymondson
2-Jan-2015, 18:07
I use a vinyl padded zippered cd case with the cd sleeves removed. It fits a 150 or 210mm lens on a Sinar board perfectly. Not sure if these are still made, though. It's from about 10 years back.

David Karp
2-Jan-2015, 19:50
Before I upgraded my pack and lens holders to Photobackpacker, I used Lock n Lock containers to hold most of my lenses. They were good for most of my lenses, including 125/150mm Fuji W, 210mm f/6.1 Caltar Pro, 300mm Nikkor M, and 450mm Fuji C. The larger lenses, like a 90mm f/8, went into a plastic index card box that was padded with foam. Now, the 90mm goes in a padded Fishpond reel case. I put some sticky back hook Velcro on the bottom so it will work well in my Photobackpacker P3. All of my lenses are mounted on Technika-type boards.

AtlantaTerry
2-Jan-2015, 21:18
The "official" lens wraps by Domke, etc. are nice but cost a bit more than I wanted to spend so I made my own.

I went to a Dollar Tree store and bought gold color micro-fiber cloth pieces in the kitchen/cleaning section. Then I went to Home Depot and bought self-adhesive Velcro strips. I cut the Velco into matching square pairs. I stuck the Velcro onto the corners of the micro-fiber cloth. DIY lens wraps!

On my next trip to the Dollar Tree store I noticed large fluffy white micro-fiber cloth pieces being sold in the automotive section. To reduce the chance of loose fibers getting on my camera gear, I washed and dried the cloths.

Now I double wrap my lenses. First in the gold DIY lens wraps, then a second time in the fluffy white cloths.

Most of my 4x5 work is on the sets of film and television productions where I create character studies of actors in wardrobe and makeup so I have to carry a lot of equipment.

I broke my 4x5" equipment down into two kits. Most of my lenses are on 4x4" Crown Graphic lens boards. My Cambo has an adapter lens board that accepts Crown boards which means the lenses can fit onto either camera. Only my extreme wide angle and long lenses are on full-sized Cambo lens boards. By having the majority of my lenses on the small Crown boards it makes packing and transport much easier.

Kit #1:
case is a beat up old Graflite case purpose-built for 4x5 Speed/Crown Graphic cameras and accessories
4x5 Crown Graphic
135mm f/4.7 Graflex Optar installed on the Crown
150mm f/5.6 Fujinon (in a large plastic yogurt tub)
240mm f/6.8 Tele-Congo (also in a yogurt tub)
The two yogurt tubs fit into one corner of the Graflite case.
Also in the case is a dark cloth, level, small CREE LED flashlight, six sheet film holders, model releases, notebook, cable releases, etc.

Kit #2:
case is a beat up Cambo case I finally found used (cases for Sinar, etc. are too narrow)
4x5 Cambo with standard bellows
Cambo lens board adapter to accept Crown lens boards (mounted on the camera with a blank Crown board)
Cambo bag bellows
Nikkor-SW 90mm f/4.5 on a Cambo recessed lens board
Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6
Rodenstock Sironar-N 300mm f/5.6 on a standard Cambo lens board
accessories: Cambo compendium, level, small CREE LED flashlight, rubber squeeze ball shutter release, cable releases, etc.

Yes, there is some duplication but if I just want one kit or the other, each is fairly self-contained.

The two 4x5 kits fit in the back seat or trunk of my car. Also in the trunk is my Manfrotto fluid head video tripod that I found works quite well with my Cambo. I have a smaller Manfrotto tripod for the Crown kit.

I carry most of my sheet film holders in soft-sided insulated thermal coolers.

I also carry in the trunk of my car light stands, reflectors, strobes, etc. in case they are needed.

evan clarke
3-Jan-2015, 04:20
I carry all mine in Tamrac packs..

Jim Becia
3-Jan-2015, 06:06
I use some neoprene lens pouches from Cartom. They are called Neo-Pro Wide Mouth lens carriers. Have been using them for years. Only downside might be that they probably won't work with large lensboards. My lenses are on Teknika style boards. http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/photop.htm

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2015, 06:30

Is that an f.64 pack, aughn?

Bruce B
3-Jan-2015, 06:38
The pinnacle of Yankee engineering, Bruce :).

I took my lenses on a shopping date to fit them for plastic freezer containers. I found them to fit lens+board. Then we went shopping for a cooler bag that would hold the plastic containers. Wally World, $12. Holds 3 lens containers. I can put those dry-in-the-oven silica gel canisters in the containers to control moisture. Works for my 120,210,240,300,360, and 19" lenses.

I actually found one container that would fit my 120 and 210 snugly together, and fit in the pocket of my Zone V! bag. Stellar!

You really have to take them along to make sure what you buy fits. Minimal rattling around, and all have lens caps. The board prevents anything banging the shutter, too.

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2015, 06:38

-Dan
I like using plastic coolers too. I like to roughen them up a bit first by applying a bit of silver duct tape, then tie a rope to the handle and drag it a short distance behind the car (slowly!) The perfect disguise.
Be aware though that Yosemite bears really can read words like "Igloo" and "Coleman" and plan accordingly.

Dan Dozer
3-Jan-2015, 08:25
I use a reel case from Cabela's. I can fit 6 large lenses on 6 x 6 boards for my 8 x 10.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers8482-Pro-Series-Reel-Travel-Cases/703315.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dreel%2Bcase%26x%3D13%26y%3D5%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=reel+case&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Bruce B
4-Jan-2015, 14:00
You just made my (cloudy) day. When next in Cabela's i do believe I'll pick one of these up. Room for just about everything I need for large-format work, including a spot meter. Much easier to watch one's gear when it's one place. thanks, BAB

I use a reel case from Cabela's. I can fit 6 large lenses on 6 x 6 boards for my 8 x 10.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers8482-Pro-Series-Reel-Travel-Cases/703315.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dreel%2Bcase%26x%3D13%26y%3D5%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=reel+case&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Tin Can
4-Jan-2015, 14:24

You are using the XL saltwater size, i presume?

Bruce Barlow
5-Jan-2015, 05:06
The pinnacle of Yankee engineering, Bruce :).

Thanks. Uh, all credit for the idea goes to Richard Ritter. Another example of his continuous genius. I started the shopping date idea when I bought plastic cases that were too small.

ShannonG
5-Jan-2015, 08:32
I use pouches shaped like a envelope with a velcro flap. my wife sewed them up with double layered fleece material. thicker ones for wide angle and recessed board. (much like a lens wrap).. a little different shape for the extra bellows. Works great and fits into my lens /film /gadget bag ,which is a padded camera bag...the fleece is cheap and comes in many different patterns and colors,,my wife had fun sewing them up.

Jim Noel
5-Jan-2015, 09:01
I made an adapter doard to take Linhof style boards on which all lenses are mounted. These are stored/carried in fly reel cases from Cabelas. Each has its own padded space.

Michael Graves
5-Jan-2015, 11:33

Mine is from Orvis, so it's better!

Even though it's probably from the same manufacturer. And looks, feels, smells and tastes exactly the same.

Drew Wiley
5-Jan-2015, 11:40
I just put them in side pouches to my REAL backpack, wrapped in sandwich baggies and bubble wrap. Gosh! Am I the ONLY person who does things the easy way?

Stoogley
5-Jan-2015, 12:19
I use photobackpacker cases. But the walmart lunch box idea sounds interesting.

Tin Can
5-Jan-2015, 12:44
I just put them in side pouches to my REAL backpack, wrapped in sandwich baggies and bubble wrap. Gosh! Am I the ONLY person who does things the easy way?

East way? Not sure that applies to you. :)

StoneNYC
5-Jan-2015, 12:47
Depends how far I'm going, if it's just a nice walk through the woods, sometimes I just throw them in my jacket pocket, hah!!

If it's a nice hike, obviously a backpack and wrapped in some cloth, thinking about those photo backpacker bags though.

Vaughn
5-Jan-2015, 12:50
Is that an f.64 pack, aughn?

No, it is a MEI pack -- designed for travelers: fold-away side pockets, detachable daypack (holds 5 to 6 8x10 film holders), a flap that covers all the back straps so nothing get caught when traveling by air, nice hip belt/support. I used closed-cell foam (old backpacking sleeping pads) inside.

The one I have is the Trekker II http://meipacks.com/

DrTang
5-Jan-2015, 13:16
I use one of them grey/greenish graflex hard cases - it'll hold everything and 3 lenses

I don't go tramping around out in the bushes though

if I did.. I would get a proper sized portabrace softish bag

I have a bigger one for my 5x7

Tin Can
5-Jan-2015, 13:28
I use one of them grey/greenish graflex hard cases - it'll hold everything and 3 lenses

I don't go tramping around out in the bushes though

if I did.. I would get a proper sized portabrace softish bag

I have a bigger one for my 5x7

Those cases are excellent. I also use, them, nothing modern like them, or as good.

Drew Bedo
8-Jan-2015, 08:51
While not ideal for use in the field, I have used "ACID" brand cigar boxes to store, transport and ship lenses. Closed cell foam cut fom an army-surplus sleeping pad was cut to fit the box and a central hole cut for the lens. These pieces were stacked in the box high enough to support the lens board, the mounted lens placed inside , and additional laters of foam over the lens and shutter. Each box was <$4 and the entire sleeping pad was <$5.

The "ACID" brand cigar boxes are stouter than most and are marked with stick-on lables, so they finish up pretty nice.

Kodachrome25
8-Jan-2015, 09:09
In order of most often used:

1. Photobackpacker system, I believe these are really helping in controlling dust.

2. Small or medium ICU for my Fstop Tilopa BC.

3. Domke lens wraps.

jnantz
8-Jan-2015, 11:07
i either use a fiber box that my speeder came with ( holds a handful of lenses and other things )
or i use the padded lens case that came with my tenba45 car case.
everything is wrapped in lens wraps, unless it is folded in the speeder, or in the lens slot in the fiber box.
in 26 years, never had trouble