PDA

View Full Version : Most photogenic beach

Jack Davis
20-Dec-2004, 13:10
Planning a beach vacation for the family in 2005 but don't know where to go. Our 2 year old kid will attend, so probably need something relatively civilized. But I, of course, want to make maximum use of the 4x5. What is the best place to go (in the U.S. or abroad) with the family offering the best photographic opportunities ?

Struan Gray
20-Dec-2004, 13:32
Sandwood Bay if you can carry the kid two miles, Old Shore More if not.

Francesco
20-Dec-2004, 14:03
Palawan, Philippines or Boracay Island, Philippines.

Francesco (http://stores.ebay.com/The-Contact-Print-Gallery)

Alan Davenport
20-Dec-2004, 16:55
Bandon, Oregon

Graeme Hird
20-Dec-2004, 18:12
Lucky Bay, Cape LeGrande National Park near Esperance, Western Australia.

http://www.scenebyhird.com/SinglePhotos/LuckyBay1.jpg (http://www.scenebyhird.com/SinglePhotos/LuckyBay1.jpg)

Jeff Morfit
20-Dec-2004, 18:27
Try the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Lots to do and see. A really neat aquarium operated by the state of North Carolina in Manteo and the Lost Colony play during the summer months. The Pea Island National Wildlife Refugee, really great bird watching and an interesting grove of sea oaks. Five lighthouses that are accessible for photography. Miles and miles of really nice beaches. Enough shops, galleries, and restaurants to keep things interesting, but not overpower you with commercial development. If you go will not be bored for one minute of your vacation. The locals are very friendly especially if you speak the language, which is Southern English.

John Kasaian
20-Dec-2004, 18:57
For an endlessly bleak beach in the lower 48, try Samoa, across the bridge from Crescent City, CA. The fog in the summer moves in and out faster than a sailor at a Nevada brothel. Thousands of acres of sand with no foot prints. Completely and hopelessly boring for anyone other than a guy with a LF camera, surf casters, or sea shell hunters. Colder than a Witch's tit, too(in Summer!) Have breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse and you won't want to eat lunch(and happily settle for a light supper!) FWIW There are no straight roads in NW California so its not a place for the car sick prone.(I can't be;ieve I wrote this!)
Theres better places to take a family, but man, is it photogenic!

Andrew O'Neill
20-Dec-2004, 19:32
Long Beach, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada!

Sharon S.
20-Dec-2004, 22:06
Lumahai Beach on the North Shore of Kauai...classic tropical beach, kid friendly, palm trees almost to the water line...sigh...

adrian tyler
21-Dec-2004, 00:38
second vote for sandwood bay. you can rent "self catering" accomodation stock up o food and your away!

Jeff Conrad
21-Dec-2004, 00:39
John, I think Samoa is across the bridge from Eureka rather than Crescent City.

Paul H
21-Dec-2004, 07:29
New Zealand, but you'll have to go in the next 3 to 4 months if you want summer down under.

Anywhere up north, especially around the Coromandel. Beautiful beaches, some with *hot* water, and with plenty of room to move. Nearby there are plenty of beautiful areas, wild beaches, native bush (forest), old gold mines, and a bit further afield hot springs, geysers, boiling mud, volcanoes etc.

Down south, round Nelson and the Abel Tasman National Park. Gorgeous, safe, deserted beaches. Nelson Lakes has some stunning scenery too, and there are many wineries etc.

The best bits are the amazing clarity and the night sky. And we speak English, although you guys may think we drive on the wrong side of the road...

Downsides? Well, the minimum 18 hours flight from the US, 27h plus from Europe...

Frank Petronio
21-Dec-2004, 08:09
For actual swimming, variety, hotels, and child-fun, I'd go to Hawaii or the Carribean. For drama and photography - the Oregon or Northern Maine coast (lousy swimming though). Seems like you could find great photos no matter, so why not treat your kid to a fun time?

Claire Curran
21-Dec-2004, 13:53
French Polynesia, in particular; Moorea.

John Kasaian
21-Dec-2004, 16:33
Jeff,
Right you are! Sorry for my lapse in memory. I found it to be a wonderfully photogenic place though(as well as a great place to eat breakfast!)

Deniz
22-Dec-2004, 11:11
any beach on the south-western Turkey..

QT Luong
22-Dec-2004, 15:21
I'd agree that for family fun a tropical beach would be better. The water is too cold in Northern California and Oregon to swim. St John in the Virgin Islands isn't bad. It's US territory with Carribean culture, the island is small enough that you don't have to drive much, yet it has some enjoyable diversity and nice beaches.

Ole Tjugen
22-Dec-2004, 16:17
The most photogenic beach I have ever seen is in Steinfjorden, Senja, Troms, Norway. It is probably the least family-friendly beach too, as well as being relatively difficult to get to. Add the fact that the sun only shines there for four hours around midnight in June and July, and the next solid ground is in Canada - the other side of the North Pole - and you may begin to understand what's so special about it.

Mark Sawyer
24-Dec-2004, 10:55
Most photogenic beach? You might try Arizona. No ocean, all beach.

JohanHB
25-Feb-2005, 17:58
Hi Jack,

Hope you are not of for your holiday yet, and if not then you may consider looking at some picture books of "Wilsons Promontory" In South East Australia. As a Dutchman haven't seen anything as beautiful as this National Park. Incredible stretches photogenic beaches. Very very popular in Ozzie holiday season, Dec./Jan.

Wherever you go, have a great time