PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 enlarger details please

Barry Kirsten
27-Dec-2014, 23:17
I’m thinking of converting a monorail 4x5 into an enlarger and chewing over preliminary ideas. At most I’d want to do 16x20 prints from 4x5. Would one or two of you kindly measure your 4x5 enlarger for me and let me know the following?:

Height of neg carrier from baseboard when set up for 16x20 with 150 mm lens;
Angle of column/frame to baseboard;
Horizontal distance of lens centre from column;
Height of column/frame.

Although I used to own an Omega 4x5, I rather fancy the Beseler frame from the point of view of simplicity and rigidity, but I’m open to ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

Barry

Tin Can
28-Dec-2014, 00:04
I'll measure this up if you will explain why you wish to convert a perfectly well designed Beseler enlarger with a monorail camera.

It doesn't make sense, unless you are missing the entire head, bellows, et al.

I have a MX or a CB7, but the lens is the determining factor.

ic-racer
28-Dec-2014, 05:14
To make an enlarger from a large format camera, it might be easier to make it horizontal. You will need to construct a negative stage and negative holder. Light sources can be problematic, but LED panels show promise.

I get about 40" from baseboard to negative to project a 16 x 20" image with a 150mm lens. The lens center is 16" from the column base at that height.
Some 4x5 enlargers have a vertical column. Either way, the lens has to be at least 8" from the column base.

Barry Kirsten
28-Dec-2014, 13:16
Thanks guys. Randy, you've misunderstood me - I want to make an enlarger from a camera. I favour the idea of making a frame like the Beseler design.
ic-racer, thanks for the measurements - very helpful. I've considered a horizontal design, but room space is limiting, so I think it'll have to be vertical. I agree about led panels.. At the moment I can only see 12" square ones available, which are a bit large, but I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Tin Can
28-Dec-2014, 13:27
Thanks guys. Randy, you've misunderstood me - I want to make an enlarger from a camera. I favour the idea of making a frame like the Beseler design.
ic-racer, thanks for the measurements - very helpful. I've considered a horizontal design, but room space is limiting, so I think it'll have to be vertical. I agree about led panels.. At the moment I can only see 12" square ones available, which are a bit large, but I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Ok, now I see. I also know Australia has a a dearth of anything film based.

These LED panels work well for 5x7 and could be masked down. See my threads in DIY.

http://www.amazon.com/Artograph-LightPad-Lightbox-6-Inch-surface/dp/B003N4ARIA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1419798323&sr=8-5&keywords=artograph+light+pad

Good luck!

Len Middleton
28-Dec-2014, 13:28
Barry,
What is the question or situation you are trying to find an answer to?
In Canada and the USA 4x5 enlargers are available for little money, so what you are trying to do makes little sense with the info we are currently working with...
I did go through a similar exercise when looking to enlarge 8x10 negatives while being in possession of only a couple of 4x5 enlargers.
Big issue will be a light source, the rest will be easy, although not nearly as easy as finding a working 4x5 enlarger, hence my earlier question...
Let us know what your thoughts are.
Regards,
Len

jp
28-Dec-2014, 14:15
Distances are going to be the same as using a 150mm lens and ground glass pointed at a 16x20 subject.

Graflex graflarger was a system for turning graflex cameras into enlargers; the light source is a nasty green that likely would be incompatible with VC/MG paper. It did come with a nice negative carrier though.

You're going to have the search the history here for DIY enlarger light sources.

If you're patient I'm sure an enlarger will become available.

Barry Kirsten
28-Dec-2014, 18:56
Randy, that Artograph light box looks good; I remember reading about it on your earlier thread. I'll keep it in mind.

Len, thanks for your input. I knew someone would suggest finding a used enlarger, as they are plentiful in Nth America and prices are low. It's frustrating in Aust. to hear of all that equipment available for a song, but such is not the case here. 4x5 enlargers come up occasionally but are usually much dearer than in other countries: I paid $1000 for my Chromeger Super D in the 90s and should never have sold it (I'd returned to study and had no darkroom at the time - sold all my gear:(, but it's what you do at times). I can't afford an enlarger at the moment, so the next best is to make do. I plan to use my 4x5 Linhof for the enlarger; sadly I don't use it much, can't backpack it, and I have a Toyo 45AX that is easy to transport. The Linhof is a beautiful camera, but doesn't have much value, so it makes sense to adapt it for enlarging. The precision is good and movements are an added bonus.

Jason, I was just after some basic measurements to help me in designing the support. I want to ensure that I have enough room on the baseboard for a 16x20, so column angle and lens offset are important to know. I know about the graflarger, but as you say, the light colour is likely a problem. I think I'll push ahead with led lighting as they have long operating life and heat generation is low.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Len Middleton
28-Dec-2014, 19:34
Barry
Missed your location, hence hedging in my initial comment.
I had over C$1000 invested in my D5 Chromega during the 1990's but then I see a Durst 8x10 with a colour head listed in Toronto for $2000 obo this weekend, so wondering what my D5 would be worth these days.
Might just want to put out a WTB in the forum or locally and save yourself and a good Linhof a lot of anguish...
Can provide some dimensions once I get home.
Good luck,
Len

Liquid Artist
28-Dec-2014, 19:46
Although it isn't ideal at least with a horizontal setup you can use a bench with rollers on it or even a tripod to move it back and forth as needed.

Jeff Dexheimer
28-Dec-2014, 23:40
For light sources, I just assembled a diy LED head that was fairly simple. It has replaced my condenser and is just as bright. I have a little more work to do (to my darkroom, not the enlarger head) before I can test it. Once I have it tested and make some prints, I will put together a write-up detailing how I made it.

graywolf
3-Jan-2015, 06:51
If you can find a Graflarger light source they fit Graflock/International backs. A heavy duty copy stand makes a fine base.

ic-racer
3-Jan-2015, 07:52
Barry
Missed your location, hence hedging in my initial comment.
I had over C$1000 invested in my D5 Chromega during the 1990's but then I see a Durst 8x10 with a colour head listed in Toronto for $2000 obo this weekend, so wondering what my D5 would be worth these days.
Might just want to put out a WTB in the forum or locally and save yourself and a good Linhof a lot of anguish...
Can provide some dimensions once I get home.
Good luck,
Len

$50,000 is to $2000 as $1000 is to X....you probably don't want to do the math.

Len Middleton
3-Jan-2015, 13:10
$50,000 is to $2000 as $1000 is to X....you probably don't want to do the math.

It only matters if you want to buy or sell, or get twisted about such things....

I have no issues with the math, as I am not looking at selling and pleased with the service it has provided. That is the rational approach from my perspective...

Joan Aguer Poch
18-Mar-2015, 14:38
Randy, that Artograph light box looks good; I remember reading about it on your earlier thread. I'll keep it in mind.

Len, thanks for your input. I knew someone would suggest finding a used enlarger, as they are plentiful in Nth America and prices are low. It's frustrating in Aust. to hear of all that equipment available for a song, but such is not the case here. 4x5 enlargers come up occasionally but are usually much dearer than in other countries: I paid $1000 for my Chromeger Super D in the 90s and should never have sold it (I'd returned to study and had no darkroom at the time - sold all my gear:(, but it's what you do at times). I can't afford an enlarger at the moment, so the next best is to make do. I plan to use my 4x5 Linhof for the enlarger; sadly I don't use it much, can't backpack it, and I have a Toyo 45AX that is easy to transport. The Linhof is a beautiful camera, but doesn't have much value, so it makes sense to adapt it for enlarging. The precision is good and movements are an added bonus.

Jason, I was just after some basic measurements to help me in designing the support. I want to ensure that I have enough room on the baseboard for a 16x20, so column angle and lens offset are important to know. I know about the graflarger, but as you say, the light colour is likely a problem. I think I'll push ahead with led lighting as they have long operating life and heat generation is low.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The camera and enlarger works great.
I built a wooden column in which I coupled a monorail camera Cambo 13x18 with a counterweight to balance it.
Light as a (aristograf) but much cheaper,
is a ceiling light in the kitchen. can be found here

http://es.aliexpress.com/item/5W-6W-9W-12W-15W-25W-led-square-panel-lighting-ceiling-light-Downlight-AC85-265V-Warm/1503408723.html?isOrig=true#extend

father works well with variable contrast and gives a very even light

For more details you can send pictures

Tin Can
19-Mar-2015, 00:16
I ordered one from that link to try with my 2-1/4x3-1/4 enlarger!

Thanks!

The camera and enlarger works great.
I built a wooden column in which I coupled a monorail camera Cambo 13x18 with a counterweight to balance it.
Light as a (aristograf) but much cheaper,
is a ceiling light in the kitchen. can be found here

http://es.aliexpress.com/item/5W-6W-9W-12W-15W-25W-led-square-panel-lighting-ceiling-light-Downlight-AC85-265V-Warm/1503408723.html?isOrig=true#extend

father works well with variable contrast and gives a very even light

For more details you can send pictures

Tim Meisburger
19-Mar-2015, 04:30
Hi Joan. How many watts did you order? I could replace the incandescent in my 4x5 and the CFL in my 5x7. In this ad they list lumens for various wattages, but I have no idea what that means in enlarger speak. My CFL has a weird color and I would especially like to replace it.

Joan Aguer Poch
19-Mar-2015, 05:34
I have seen the link, and I have some differences with Trova what I bought.
My will to:
22,5x22,5 and says he has 18 watts
the light neutral white 4000ºK

I would opt for cool white and am being necessary to correct a yellow filter

Tim Meisburger
19-Mar-2015, 05:39
here is the link that includes lux table: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultra-thin-design-3W-6W-9W-12W-15W-18W-24W-LED-ceiling-recessed-grid-downlight-slim/2035123045.html?s=p

Joan Aguer Poch
19-Mar-2015, 05:53
My 22,5x22,5 is 18watts

Tin Can
19-Mar-2015, 11:32
I ordered the 90 x90 mm 'hole' 4 watt, cost delivered $7.54 USD. I got the site to translate to english, but english isn't an language option!

Payment was in Spanish, which I can almost handle. :)

But I may have botched it as I got no confirmation email. :(

Joan Aguer Poch
19-Mar-2015, 12:29
The hole is useful in my 17x17
but
17x17 = 289
9x9 = 81
18/289 = 0.062 watts per cm2
0.062 * 81 = 5watts
Considering that 18 watts normal function expansions
but they are just a bit for enlargements.
9x9 is not something small ??

Tin Can
19-Mar-2015, 12:35
You are correct. I want the 90X90 mm for use in 2x3 inch enlarger which is also 60X90 mm enlarger, same size.

I have been looking for exactly this small size for an experiment.

If their light output is proportional to size, the 90X90 mm will work for 6X9 cm film.

The hole is useful in my 17x17
but
17x17 = 289
9x9 = 81
18/289 = 0.062 watts per cm2
0.062 * 81 = 5watts
Considering that 18 watts normal function expansions
but they are just a bit for enlargements.
9x9 is not something small ??

CropDusterMan
19-Mar-2015, 12:39
You can likely find a used Beseler 45MX for under $300 in good cond. I know, I just sold one.
Why go to all the trouble when a little money parted saves a ton of time.

Tin Can
19-Mar-2015, 12:43
You can likely find a used Beseler 45MX for under $300 in good cond. I know, I just sold one.
Why go to all the trouble when a little money parted saves a ton of time.

OP says they are very rare Down Under.

I am working on a Solar/battery run enlarger.

Tim Meisburger
19-Mar-2015, 15:22
Enlargers are very hard to find outside the US, extremely expensive to ship, and surprisingly easy to make. I made a 5x7 enlarger in a day, and with a light like this it would be even easier..

Luis-F-S
19-Mar-2015, 15:23
I’m thinking of converting a monorail 4x5 into an enlarger.... Barry

Why? Enlargers are not exactly "rare" down under.

Tim Meisburger
19-Mar-2015, 15:39
Why? Enlargers are not exactly "rare" down under.

Luis, this is the DIY forum. Sometimes we make stuff just because we can!

CropDusterMan
19-Mar-2015, 16:36
Shoot OP, sorry about that Mate...I thought you were US based...enlargers are that hard to come by down there?
My concern would be fabricating one where alignment was spot on. All the best of luck though.

Luis-F-S
19-Mar-2015, 19:22
Luis, this is the DIY forum. Sometimes we make stuff just because we can!

True sorry about that, kind of like re-inventing the wheel. I'd rather take and print photos rather than "modify" view cameras into enlargers but to each his own. L

Luis-F-S
19-Mar-2015, 19:23
My concern would be fabricating one where alignment was spot on. All the best of luck though.

+1

Tin Can
19-Mar-2015, 20:06
Some shot 1000's of pictures and never processed them and some of them became world famous.

Which means, we sometimes don't have the same photographic goals.

I can imagine many scenarios where building rather than buying is better.

Print an imagination...then enlarge it.