PDA

View Full Version : Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

Dustyman
19-Dec-2014, 13:03
Hi all. I have just received delivery of an impressively beautiful Gandolfi 8x10 Precision (Traditional) but I am having a hard time figuring out how to fold it in place. The woman who sold it to me removed the brass knobs that secured the front standard in order to fold it. I can't imagine that that would be the proper method. Can someone assist me with the correct procedure to fold it properly? Much appreciated. I will post some pix within a few days.

On another note, I would like to somehow date the camera. I have read that there should be a 2 digit number in the back to indicate the year. I don't see any 2 digit number. Just a number "1" on the inside of the camera's back, and also the same "1" inside of the 8x10 film back.

Many thanks.

Steven Tribe
19-Dec-2014, 14:25
A 1 or 2 digit number sounds unlikely: Mahogany cameras are often marked with assembly numbers on the separate pieces. that is, "these pieces matched well so we should glue these 2 (or 3 etc) together tomorrow!"

Many trad cameras "flip" so that a mounted lens ends up facing down through a hole in the base plate.

Dustyman
19-Dec-2014, 15:02
Agreed, Steve. These single digit numbers were to match parts in assembly. Unfortunately, I don't see any other numbers.

Regarding the folding problem, yes, I've tried to position the front standard lens board in and down, like my 11x14 V11 Deardorff, but as I do so the Gandolfi's tall front rise brackets tilt back, with their tops stabbing the bellows midway, preventing the camera to fold.

Any 8x10 Gandolfi users care to chime in?

Steven Tribe
19-Dec-2014, 15:15
"Gandolfi" must live up to his handle - so send him a PM. He (Emil) is often on a Prague tour at this time of the year with students so perhaps direct through through the LFPF to his email address is better? I think he has every model of Gandolfi!

There are other owners/users here - check the "gandolfi" threads.

karl french
19-Dec-2014, 15:18
As far as I recall you must undo the latches at the bottom of the front standard. Then lay the standard on the base. Then fold the back down. Sort of like a Chamonix/Philips.

William Whitaker
19-Dec-2014, 15:57
As Karl said, the latches/brackets at the bottom of the standard hold it in place.
http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/Gandolfi_front_09.jpg

also this

http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/gandolfi8x10_16.jpg
The slider moves fore and aft to alternately open or close the front or rear notch. Open the latch, lift the front standard up (knobs should be loosened, but not removed, and lay the front standard face-down flat in the bed of the camera. The rear standard focus may need to be adjusted to position the rear standard so that it clears everything on its way to the closed position. That's about all there is to it.

Dustyman
19-Dec-2014, 15:57
That you, Karl... that was the trick! Once I disconnected the bottom of the standard I was able to lay the brass side brackets down flat, as well as the standard. Much appreciated!

Dustyman
19-Dec-2014, 16:26
Will, those were amazingly helpful pictures! Super illustrative. I've had (and have) other folding field cameras, but this was the first that required this procedure. Simple enough. How do you find working with this camera? I know Gandolfi has a formidable reputation, but there is not much on the web as far as first hand experience. The camera, in lovely condition, was considerably less expensive than a Deardorff V8 in comparable condition. Additionally it came with an extra back (5x7), a bunch of both 8x10 and 5x7 holders, and a heavy duty metal flight case for all. I feel very fortunate. Deardorffs are readily available, but I hardly ever see 8x10 Gandolfi cameras for sale.

karl french
19-Dec-2014, 16:34
I saw that camera as well. I was quite tempted. Based on my current obsession with 10x12 I managed to resist. You got a very good deal. They are incredibly well made cameras. A real pleasure to use. Slightly limited compared to the Deardorff, but still a great camera.

William Whitaker
19-Dec-2014, 16:41
Gandolfi cameras are unusual to find, even rare (to use that obnoxious word) but for some reason, at least in the U.S., they've not acquired the same following as Deardorff.

Personally, I think the design is superb, as is the workmanship. I have both the 5x7 and the 8x10. The folding mechanism is the easiest I've ever used except maybe for a Phillips/Chamonix-style. But I prefer rack & pinion focusing to the leadscrew focusing used on the others. And the Gandolfi is definitely old-school. I like that.

Contrary to some other commentators here, I don't much care for the Gandolfi lensboards, although they do the job. I had an adapter made for my 8x10 to allow me to use Sinar boards. Also an adapter for the 5x7 to allow the use of Technika boards. In the end it all comes down to personal preference. Using the Gandolfi is like using my grandmother's fine furniture. It is a tactile experience not unlike using a Leica. It's a very pretty box to hold the dark in place.

Dustyman
19-Dec-2014, 17:11
It cleaned up beautifully with fine steel owl and beeswax. For me the nice surprise was that the extra back turned out to be 5x7 and not 4x5 as advertised. I suspected as much from the picture, was wasn't sure until it arrived today. Perfect bellows, soft and supple. Additionally the seller, who was a very sweet older woman, located a bunch of extra film holders and a few lens boards and included them. She didn't charge me shipping, and I am sure it was costly at 65lbs via UPS cross country.

William Whitaker
19-Dec-2014, 17:14
Sounds like you did very well. Congratulations.

Dustyman
19-Dec-2014, 17:15
"It's a very pretty box to hold the dark in place."

Aptly put, Will.

Tim Meisburger
19-Dec-2014, 17:17
I love that the screw heads line up! From a mechanical perspective it is wrong, as you must either over-torque or under-torque to achieve that, but it sure is elegant.

Dustyman
19-Dec-2014, 17:36
As they say in the old country... "Torque Schmorque" It's beautiful : )

Roger Thoms
19-Dec-2014, 19:24
I saw that camera as well. I was quite tempted. Based on my current obsession with 10x12 I managed to resist. You got a very good deal. They are incredibly well made cameras. A real pleasure to use. Slightly limited compared to the Deardorff, but still a great camera.

Pretty sure I saw it too, but I'm on a camera and tool buying moratorium. It did look like a very nice camera.

Roger

Emil Schildt
21-Dec-2014, 03:57
I love that the screw heads line up! From a mechanical perspective it is wrong, as you must either over-torque or under-torque to achieve that, but it sure is elegant.

I am limited in my English, so maybe I don't understand the word tourge right...

But if I do, I once talked to an old carpenter about my Gandolfi 10x8 - I was/am totally in love with the in line screws, and he told me, inthe old days, this is the very very last technique he learned before he could call him self a carpenter: how to know how to start the screwing so the end result would be in line... no force needed.. just a fine technique...

Emil Schildt
21-Dec-2014, 04:02
It cleaned up beautifully with fine steel owl and beeswax. For me the nice surprise was that the extra back turned out to be 5x7 and not 4x5 as advertised. I suspected as much from the picture, was wasn't sure until it arrived today. Perfect bellows, soft and supple. Additionally the seller, who was a very sweet older woman, located a bunch of extra film holders and a few lens boards and included them. She didn't charge me shipping, and I am sure it was costly at 65lbs via UPS cross country.

Congratulations on your new Rolls Royce...

I have nine different ones - from quarter plate to 12x15...

I am mostly jealous about your 5x7 reducing back - that one I am missing (have the 4x5 reducing back)... so if you want to part with it, you know who to ask... :)

The Gandolfi is a joy to work with! So easy - sturdy. If you come across the 7x5, then you should consider it too - it is my favourite camera - VERY light compared to the size, and thus being easy to carry out in the nature...

Tim Meisburger
21-Dec-2014, 05:51
I am limited in my English, so maybe I don't understand the word tourge right...

But if I do, I once talked to an old carpenter about my Gandolfi 10x8 - I was/am totally in love with the in line screws, and he told me, inthe old days, this is the very very last technique he learned before he could call him self a carpenter: how to know how to start the screwing so the end result would be in line... no force needed.. just a fine technique...

Fascinating! I was a carpenter for ten years (more or less the eighties) and I never even heard of that, much less learned it. But by then nobody used slotted screws, only Phillips head (cross head). I'm building a camera so maybe that is something to aspire to!

Emil Schildt
21-Dec-2014, 06:29
not easy I think...

Dustyman
24-Dec-2014, 12:23
Here are some pictures of the camera, as promised. I include a shot of it nicely folded, proving that I actually learned something. Thanks to all who responded. Very much appreciated.

Emil Schildt
24-Dec-2014, 12:44
Beauty! Looks a lot like mine...

BTW: in all the Gandolfi's I have seen, I have never seen anything marked to date them...

Dustyman
24-Dec-2014, 15:39
Thanks for the follow-up, Gandolfi. Appreciated. Are you aware of any other indicators that might suggest a rough date? Were there any small design modifications that occurred after a period? It would be nice to know even a possible date range for the camera (like perhaps 1950-1970).

William Whitaker
24-Dec-2014, 18:35
Here are some pictures of the camera, as promised. I include a shot of it nicely folded, proving that I actually learned something. Thanks to all who responded. Very much appreciated.

Oh, man! That's pretty!!

Scott Sharp
26-Dec-2014, 09:33
I just bought a Gandolfi as well and they are beautifully made cameras. My version is a whole plate size with a 5 x 7 back, black paint and nickel plated hardware.

It also took me some trial and error to figure out how to fold it up, a little different than a Deardorff. I like the fact you can seat the front standard in two different positions. Though the rear position provides greater stability.

I am sending my camera back to Ed Hill at Gandolfi for service: (New bellows needed and the front focus knob shaft is bent).

I date mine roughly from the 1950s or 60's

Dustyman
27-Dec-2014, 21:16
That's a very beautiful camera, Scott. Where did you find it? The bellows looks darn good from the picture. Pinholes?
How did you successfully reach Ed Hill? I've sent multiple emails to see if he has any spare parts i.e. lens boards and backs, but have yet to receive a reply. Are you in the UK?
How did you date your camera. Is it that the ebony black version wasn't made prior to the '50s?

Scott Sharp
28-Dec-2014, 15:29
I'll return the compliment by saying that 8 x 10 Gandolfi you just got in mahogany and lacquered brass is going to garner a lot of attention wherever you go.

I am guessing on the date on my camera. I have a #1 stamped on the inside of my camera as well.... It could be indicating a part number or matching up a camera back. But no clear indication on dating it. Check out the LF thread "Any Gandolfi users out there?"

I made an inquiry on my black Gandolfi on the APUG forum as well as this LF fourm. I received this info on the black Gandolfi versions from Ole Tjugen on APUG.

"Black Gandolfis were often "government issue", they had a large contract for various goverment divisions, all black. The more common "luxury edition" was made in Honduras mahogany, beautifully varnished.

The bellows on mine look good and appear to be light tight but are very stiff and won't compress down, thus I can't fold my camera all the way shut for transport.. There is also an issue with the front focus knob shaft being bent and I can't crank the front rail out. So some age related and impact damage issues that need attention.

I contacted Ed Hill via the Gandolfi website and received a reply within a week. He does have some parts and still does some limited service on the cameras. So I may send him my camera this spring and will report back on how that goes. I am here in the USA and don't look forward on getting a quote on shipping to the UK. It won't be cheap.

I will PM you on the email that I used to contact Ed Hill.

Dustyman
30-Jan-2015, 17:15
Reaching out for suggestions as to the best way to lubricate this camera. The focusing, especially focusing in via the rear, is tight currently. On hand I have Howard's "Feed n' Wax" (which is beeswax and carnauba), white lithium grease, and a tube of graphite. I've used these with varying degrees of success on Deardorffs. Any suggestions for lubing the Gandolfi?

Dustyman
30-Jan-2015, 18:25
I think the issue is more than simple lubing. As the rear moves forward, midway towards center of bed, it gets unbearably tough to continue to turn the focus knob. (No, it's not locked)
Any way to loosing the tension a bit? Not even sure where the issue is. No visible signs of bent pinions etc.

Dustyman
30-Jan-2015, 23:55
I went ahead a loosened all the small screws on the lower brass side rails 1/2 turn each and that made a distinct difference. I can turn the focusing knob with less force, but I'm thinking it should still be a silkier turn. I am wondering if my studio heating system has caused the wood to swell. It's not humid though, so I have my doubts about that. Although the issue did start during the winter when the heat is on most of the time...

Emil Schildt
31-Jan-2015, 16:40
as mentioned in a PM mine locks it self during the focusing - so several unlocking movements are in order (at least in my case..)

GPX
5-Feb-2015, 10:38
I love Gandolfis and if I had seen your beautiful Gandolfi for sale I would have definitely tried to buy it. But actually I live in the UK - my family has always lived near where Gandolfis were made in London, so the brand has a sort of special connection for me.

Gandolfis can be hard to date. The single-digit stamped numbers (such as 1) are just the part matching numbers used during manufacture, as others have said. I have a 4x5 Gandolfi Precision made in the 1950s, and it has an older style lens board than yours. I have a photo of the Gandolfi workshop taken in 1979, and the cameras in that photo seem to have the same lens board as yours. So if I had to guess you Gandolfi's age I might guess 1970s?

My 4x5 Gandolfi is black (which actually cost extra, it was the "ebonized" option) although personally I think the wood ones look nicer.

I also have an early Gandolfi Universal (full plate size, which is 6.5 inches by 8.5 inches). It was made by Louis Gandolfi between 1898 and 1910, and the quality of cabinet work on that is incredible. How long must it have taken him to build them to that rather excessive level of quality?! Regarding the screws, yes, apparently he used a special technique to make all the screw heads line up, which involved starting them in the right position. I guess you practice with the screw on a piece of waste wood, count the turns, mark where you need to start ... time consuming stuff.

I wanted a Gandolfi 8x10 but failed to find one, so I just bought a Wisner 8x10. It will be interesting to compare. Wisner screws don't line up, which looks a bit rough to me compared to Gandolfis! I notice when new, Wisners cost almost twice as much as Gandolfis (around $4200 for the Wisner, $2300 for the Gandolfi). I wonder why? Personally I would have bought a Gandolfi! Wisners have more movements, but frankly I will never use those. My Gandolfi 4x5 feels "just right" and I am sure your 8x10 will feel the same. Enjoy!

Emil Schildt
18-Feb-2015, 04:22
Just noticed this video.... Craftsmanship in the highest level.. Love it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJq04wKCKSY&app=desktop

Michael Roberts
18-Feb-2015, 05:51
Marvelous--what treasures. Both the cameras and the video.

William Whitaker
18-Feb-2015, 09:28
Fancy a bit of cheese, eh, Gromit?...

That's a real treasure. Thank you for posting!!

Bob Mann
18-Feb-2015, 11:53
Wonderful - just wonderful!

Dustyman
19-Feb-2015, 10:30
Ah yes, I am familiar with this nice video. In fact, I posted it, as well as a few other Gandolfi related videos, to my blog.
I have been meaning to mention this info here prior. Thanks for the reminder.

Feel free to check them out: www.dustyman.com

Dustyman
19-Feb-2015, 10:54
Ha! Wallace and Gromit definitely crossed my mind as well. Someone should do a claymation video of the Gandolfi brothers in their shop.

Fancy a bit of cheese, eh, Gromit?...

That's a real treasure. Thank you for posting!!

Christopher Nisperos
1-Dec-2015, 19:31
Just noticed this video.... Craftsmanship in the highest level.. Love it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJq04wKCKSY&app=desktop

Thanks so much for posting that film. It was very moving. Makes one proud to own a Gandolfi (I have two). I love the very last line of the film where Fred Gandolfi —who had been in and around camera building since the age of seven and had basically dedicated his whole life to the art and craft of it— says, "In my hands, lie my life". Incredible.

Zonedout1971
14-Nov-2016, 12:05
Hi all. I have just received delivery of an impressively beautiful Gandolfi 8x10 Precision (Traditional) but I am having a hard time figuring out how to fold it in place. The woman who sold it to me removed the brass knobs that secured the front standard in order to fold it. I can't imagine that that would be the proper method. Can someone assist me with the correct procedure to fold it properly? Much appreciated. I will post some pix within a few days.

On another note, I would like to somehow date the camera. I have read that there should be a 2 digit number in the back to indicate the year. I don't see any 2 digit number. Just a number "1" on the inside of the camera's back, and also the same "1" inside of the 8x10 film back.

Many thanks.
Hi happened across this thread, I am looking for a Gandolfi 8 x 10 and wondered if you still had the camera? or if you wanted to sell it by any chance?
Thanks

GPX
15-Nov-2016, 04:47
There is currently a 4x5 Gandolfi for sale on eBay in England (November 15, 2016):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gandolfi-Makers-London-vintage-Folding-Camera-/192015073633?hash=item2cb4fd8161:g:yJkAAOSwTZ1XmOHS

Out of my price range but looks nice.

(However, the Gandolfi name plate is fixed in a strange place on the side, has anyone seen that before?)

Dustyman
15-Nov-2016, 18:02
Hi there. Yes, I do still have the camera, but I've no plans to part with it in the foreseeable future. I'll give you a shout should things change. You never know... : )

Hi happened across this thread, I am looking for a Gandolfi 8 x 10 and wondered if you still had the camera? or if you wanted to sell it by any chance?
Thanks

aluncrockford
16-Nov-2016, 11:08
There is currently a 4x5 Gandolfi for sale on eBay in England (November 15, 2016):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gandolfi-Makers-London-vintage-Folding-Camera-/192015073633?hash=item2cb4fd8161:g:yJkAAOSwTZ1XmOHS

Out of my price range but looks nice.

(However, the Gandolfi name plate is fixed in a strange place on the side, has anyone seen that before?)

Mine has exactly the same plate in the same place, and it also has brass front panel fittings, so the camera for sale is roughly in the 1970's date range ( or so I have been told)

GPX
17-Nov-2016, 04:08
Ah, thank you, good to know.