PDA

View Full Version : B&h film promo

Deval
18-Dec-2014, 18:28
B&h seems to be softening it's stance on moving completely away from film. Or at least milking the trend while it's getting popular. Posted two days ago.

Wish List: Film Nostalgia: http://youtu.be/GL4Y92tYcKM

Peter Lewin
18-Dec-2014, 18:37
B&H is my standard source for film, paper, and whatever chemicals I don't get from Photographer's Formulary. I haven't heard anything about them moving away from, or minimizing, their film offerings.

Randy Moe
18-Dec-2014, 18:41
B&h seems to be softening it's stance on moving completely away from film. Or at least milking the trend while it's getting popular. Posted two days ago.

Wish List: Film Nostalgia: http://youtu.be/GL4Y92tYcKM

Maybe they finally noticed we spend plenty on our 'stupid' hobby. LOL

Deval
18-Dec-2014, 18:54
Well it was funny. I stopped by the store this summer while in nyc and the employees behind film counter had the impression that they were possibly going to reappropriate the film desk /section in store and keep it online order only. They have moved all of their developing off site to a local lab. That's why I was surprised when I saw the video. They even show their film fridge packed to the brim(which was certainly almost empty when I was in the store). I certainly am happy if the winds have changed. They definitely have the most competitive new prices I have seen.

vinny
18-Dec-2014, 19:17
They took the only nice b&h employee and put him in a video.
I just placed an order today.

Larry Kellogg
18-Dec-2014, 19:25
LOL, I'm happy to see that they've made this video like this because I'm sick of people telling me that you can't buy film anymore. Ah, puttering around the darkroom, what joy. I don't putter, I move pretty quickly, actually. Time is money in New York.

I buy paper, film, LPD developer, Heico fixer, stop bath, selenium toner, and all sorts of stuff from B&H, just about every week.

Yes, the film department has their backs up against the wall but they're still moving product. Let's help keep them in business. My friend Sonny who works in the darkroom department said that people ask him when was the last time he sold a roll of film, and he replies: "Fifteen minutes ago!". Ha ha....

There are lots of nice people in B&H, I've been going there for years and years. It's New York, there is always a little bit of attitude, and people are in a rush, but I really don't see a lot of rudeness. Heck, I found a darkroom space and made a friend by talking to someone who was working at B&H. B&H has always treated me right.

David Karp
18-Dec-2014, 19:35
I agree. Never had a problem with them on any order I have ever made. No problems with returns either.

Preston
18-Dec-2014, 20:19
I agree. Never had a problem with them on any order I have ever made. No problems with returns either.

Same here. I've ordered film, cameras, lenses, two monitors and all manner of small stuff from them over the years and have never had an issue. I had to call them once when a film shipment got lost in transit, and they were most helpful and friendly. The film was located by UPS before they shipped a replacement. I've yet to return an item, and their packaging is always excellent.

It's good to know they are still actively supporting us!

--P

Ari
18-Dec-2014, 20:51
I never noticed they were moving away from film, though when I went to the film desk in October and bought 125 sheets of 8x10, the guy at the counter told me I was some kind of "hero".
He was being funny, but afterwards I noticed that the film counter is a quiet spot in a very busy store.

Randy Moe
18-Dec-2014, 21:04
I am sure most of us simply order off the website. I get about 2 orders a month from them. B&H is very competitive these days.

They are now beating Amazon on some things, even with shipping and I am a Prime member.

Soon B&H will be getting all my photography business as Amazon is opening a distribution center in Illinois and sales/use tax will be back, whereas NYC does not reach this far.

That said, I shop all photo suppliers for price with shipping. Gallons of fixer is cheapest in 4 packs from Photographers Formulary. The more I save, the more I can buy.

I'm a Cone-head, consuming mass quantities, if anybody remembers SNL early days. I quit watching it when John OD'ed, really pissed me off.

richardman
19-Dec-2014, 01:11
I bought my first camera, a Nikon FM, from B&H, back in 1978 or so, I think

Larry Kellogg
19-Dec-2014, 02:11
I'm glad to hear that people have had good experiences with B&H and that they feel the store is competitive with other places.

For those who have never visited the physical store, it's a huge place that fronts a whole city block. It has two levels, the first level has TVs, stereos, pro audio equipment, 3D printers, and lighting gear, plus the film department. The film department is towards the back on the first level, and it is a little quiet, I suppose, but if you don't see something on the floor, they can often call it up from the stock room, where it shows up at the counter in a few minutes.

Upstairs is the used department, tripods, bags, and a number of large demonstration areas for every digital camera you can imagine. There are long counters to go to for lenses, memory cards, cameras, etc.

I think margins are low in that business, so you have to move a large volume of product to survive, which they do, very well. They have an overhead order delivery system consisting of plastic cartons that roll on wheeled tracks. You ask for items at the counters, they put the items in a carton, print a receipt, and you pick up the items behind the cash registers, after you've paid. That way, they cut down on theft, and can pass on the savings to everyone.

Perhaps the digital stuff is subsidizing the film stuff a little bit, so be it, if that's what it takes to keep my darkroom supplied. B&H is my local store, so I'm there all the time. I'm always impressed with how they run their business, and how they treat their customers.

Roger Cole
19-Dec-2014, 02:44
I've ordered from B&H many times going back to the 1970s. I've never had a problem. Back in the telephone order days I'd occasionally get the gruff New Yorker but got some really friendly folks too.

The only issue I have with them now is all the darkroom stuff they won't ship, so I end up getting it from Freestyle. That's ok as I want to support them too, and do. I understand the business decision, with a store the size of B&H, not wanting to get the hazmat training for the whole shipping staff - at least I've heard that's the reason. But from my point of view there's a lot of stuff I use that I just can't get from them so I get it elsewhere.

alavergh
19-Dec-2014, 20:39
He sounds pretty smug there at the beginning. Still, I prefer freestyle.

Bruce Barlow
19-Dec-2014, 23:47
They took the only nice b&h employee and put him in a video.
I just placed an order today.

They've always been nice to me, and I'm a grumpy old man.

At the risk of being incendiary, let's remember that they're New Yorkers.

Jmarmck
20-Dec-2014, 06:25
Let's just hope that this is not just a ploy to clear existing stocks before shutdown. (said Chicken Little)

All my film comes from B & H, and some gear. Never had a problem with them.

hoffner
20-Dec-2014, 06:59
I always liked B&H. If for nothing else then for their Jewish identity. It used to be "my" store in the late 90', then I diversified to other sources. Nowadays they are for me "the" source of the film.
I don't think for a moment that they "moved completely away from the film" - instead they just logically follow the market. Nothing is more natural for a shop, is it?

Ari
20-Dec-2014, 10:50
I've never had bad, grumpy or rude service from anybody at B&H, and besides being a long-time customer, I am also a supplier.
Their kindness, helpfulness and attention to detail are present in both facets of my relationship with them.

Richard M. Coda
21-Dec-2014, 18:18
I bought my first 4x5 (Omega 4x5D) from them in 1982 right after I graduated college, with my first paycheck! Bought a few lenses form them and lots of film. Used to love going there in the 1980s!

Fred L
21-Dec-2014, 21:13
Used to buy a lot from Freestyle but when B&H improved shipping rates to Canada etc., well they now get all my business. Freestyle simply won't budge on shipping rates to Canada and it's costing them business as I know many won't shop there because of the high shipping fees.

Been a very long time since I set foot in the brick and mortar and I really should visit next time I'm in NYC.

Larry Kellogg
22-Dec-2014, 00:53
I've never had bad, grumpy or rude service from anybody at B&H, and besides being a long-time customer, I am also a supplier.
Their kindness, helpfulness and attention to detail are present in both facets of my relationship with them.

It's interesting to hear this side of the story, as I've heard what it's like to be a supplier for other large companies, and have been told it's a nightmare.

Larry Kellogg
22-Dec-2014, 01:14
Used to buy a lot from Freestyle but when B&H improved shipping rates to Canada etc., well they now get all my business. Freestyle simply won't budge on shipping rates to Canada and it's costing them business as I know many won't shop there because of the high shipping fees.

Been a very long time since I set foot in the brick and mortar and I really should visit next time I'm in NYC.

Yes, visit the place, it is amazing! If you want, I'll go along as a guide, LOL. Yes, the store has a strong Jewish identity, but the workers are now from a broader range of cultural backgrounds. New York, this city of eight million, is home to the most diverse collection of ethnic groups of any city in the world.

axs810
22-Dec-2014, 03:56
He sounds pretty smug there at the beginning. Still, I prefer freestyle.

For LF film BHPhoto has cheaper prices than freestyle

StoneNYC
28-Feb-2015, 17:35
Good to see them advertising film, not sure how old this video is but it has to be at least a year old since Kodak stopped making their "Chromogenic" C-41 film last year.

My only complaint about the video is that they only listed format sizes that they personally sell, even though you can still get for example TMY-2, Acros100, Velvia50 all in 8x10 sheets, because they don't sell them they made it sound like they didn't exist same with 4x5 Velvia50, it just bugs me when they dismiss it as if it's not made, it's disinformation.

That said its a great source and good prices and free shipping for anything over $50 and I mean, who spends under $50 ever on film?

Anyway when I was there last week, the film fridge was completely stocked, not at all empty, however it had been moved and was in a smaller area, so maybe they had let it run down in order to make the move less difficult and then when they re-organized the area, they restocked it properly?

It certainly is a much slower area than the rest of the store, and the sales guy told me that it's the lowest profit-making area of the store. And that the really only keep it out of kindness (or some wording like that).

I also mentioned that I was able to get a supply of Velvia50 direct from Japan of 4x5 and 8x10 and that I would prefer to get it from them. I joked with the guy that they should open a satellite store in Japan and that way they could ship themselves Velvia50 sheet film to stock in the US. He did ask me what my prices were for getting the film to America, and I told him basically it was on par with what it cost to buy from him but my cost included the shipping from Japan, so that they might be able to get it much cheaper in a pallet. He kind of pondered it but ultimately I think he dismissed it in his mind.

Anyway good to see that they are still promoting film.

Bruce Osgood
1-Mar-2015, 17:43
I just got back from B&H with film, etc. The 4x5 film (25 sheet box) was $10 cheaper at B&H than Freestyle. And if you spend over $100 (ain't hard to do) you get free parking for an hour or so.

StoneNYC
1-Mar-2015, 18:06
I just got back from B&H with film, etc. The 4x5 film (25 sheet box) was $10 cheaper at B&H than Freestyle. And if you spend over $100 (ain't hard to do) you get free parking for an hour or so.

$200 spent gets you 2 hours ;)

RSalles
1-Mar-2015, 18:35
That's what I thought, parking in Manhattan is being more and more affordable these days.

:cool:

Renato

Duolab123
1-Mar-2015, 18:37
I make the pilgrimage from Iowa to B&H every year or two. I remember the pre-digital days, the overhead trolley system, all film cameras and studio stuff, lots of used stuff upstairs. I order online never had a problem that was not resolved. I also have had great luck with Freestyle, they will ship chemistry that B&H can't or won't. And of course my favorite local shops help me when I need 10 L not 100L of RA-4 developer and Blix. LPD, UFG. :)

My Darkroom is my favorite place, I shoot film because I love the entire "Process"! (Pun intended:cool:)

John Kasaian
1-Mar-2015, 20:18
I've always liked B and H.

tgtaylor
2-Mar-2015, 10:15
One of the best stores on the planet. Bostick & Sullivan too.

Thomas

Deval
2-Mar-2015, 18:04
they still have the overhead trolley system...It is what I imagine Santa's workshop would be like

Andrew O'Neill
3-Mar-2015, 13:13
Freestyle simply won't budge on shipping rates to Canada and it's costing them business as I know many won't shop there because of the high shipping fees.

Precisely the reason I don't buy from them anymore.

Drew Wiley
3-Mar-2015, 14:27
You ordinarily have to pay for parking to shop there? Weird. Guess that's NYC, and Frisco too.

Randy Moe
3-Mar-2015, 14:43
I buy all my 2X3 sheet film from Freestyle. B&H discontinued it some time ago.

I still have a good sized stash of 2X3 efke PL 25 and 100 I bought from them.

Time to order more Ilford and Arista 2X3 sheet film!

Thanks for the reminder.

Roger Cole
3-Mar-2015, 22:44
You ordinarily have to pay for parking to shop there? Weird. Guess that's NYC, and Frisco too.

Any big city.

In Atlanta at a former employer even employees had to pay to park. It was something like $60 a month IIRC, which is a bargain compared to many big cities, but shocked the folks "back home."

Sigh. I'm here because it's where the money is but I often miss small town living.

StoneNYC
3-Mar-2015, 22:52

Yea, think about how many people live in NYC and then think about all those visiting for the day, I don't know how many on that tiny island but every inch is worth $$$ it's probably the ONLY store on the whole of NYC that has free parking, it's pretty impressive honestly. Parking is at a premium, I have to use an app to find the best parking prices because there are some lots that charge what breaks up to be about $2 per minute.... Yup, you read that right... But there are some good places you can get like $15-$20 for 1-3 hours. It's kind of another world.

Roger Cole
4-Mar-2015, 01:24
Even for those who've lived in other big cities, NYC is a different world. I've never been there myself and the thought alone makes me nervous though my wife, who lived there for several years, loves it and keeps threatening to take me.

Personally I insist she drive when we even go into Atlanta proper. As far as I'm concerned the entire world ITP (Inside The Perimeter of I-285 around Atlanta) might as well be marked on maps as "here be dragons."

StoneNYC
4-Mar-2015, 22:24
Even for those who've lived in other big cities, NYC is a different world. I've never been there myself and the thought alone makes me nervous though my wife, who lived there for several years, loves it and keeps threatening to take me.

Personally I insist she drive when we even go into Atlanta proper. As far as I'm concerned the entire world ITP (Inside The Perimeter of I-285 around Atlanta) might as well be marked on maps as "here be dragons."

Come to NYC at least once!

If you bring your view camera I'll meet you for some Central Park shooting :)

Can't on the Manhattan street though, tripods not allowed, "danger" for others to trip on the legs.