PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 grafmatics

jens peter
16-Dec-2004, 08:16
I have recently begun to use Grafmatics for my 4x5 work, they are shurely an advantage compared to conventional holders - especially for handheld work on a Linhof Master Technika, or a Graflex.

As the users of Grafmatics know - the filmcounter mechanism intrudes slightly into the film-area, not much, only a few mm, where it prints a permanent number onto the film. Personally I like to have negatives without any disturbances, and this small number-area disturbs me. Furthermore, my printer recommends that they are removed if possible...

Is it compleetly absurd to open a 40 yrs + precision mechanism to remove this filmcounter, with the risk of damaging the interior (and to start modifying a beautifull presision mechanism that has not been in production for more than a generation). I know it can be done (I have a copy of the original Grafmatic repair manual here at my table), or should I just live with this little intrusion on my negative, and accept that my film-area are 2 mm less at the right side?

My brain says "yes" (remove it), my heart says "no" (use it as intended, don't destroy a beautiful mechanism).

I am interested to hear your thourghts or experiences on this, especially if there is people out there who have used the Grafmatics since their hey-days 40-50 yrs ago.

Robert Ley
16-Dec-2004, 08:39
Although I have not been a Hay-day user, I have used them for about two years and love them. I have about 7 of lthem and have removed the counter on all of them without a problem. Just be careful and note how you took it apart and put it back together in the same fashion. I use them for color only and am not concerned with which exposure is which. Some feel differently, YMMV.

Alec Jones
16-Dec-2004, 09:10
Check the Graflex.org helpboard for instructions. Use the search feature. Don't tear it up, and keep the parts so another user later can reinstall it. They aren't making any more, you know.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Dec-2004, 09:31
I've contemplated this and decided to leave them in, because the number is still within the margin covered by my negative carriers. You might also make a test to see if you can see that area on the focusing screen where the frame number impinges. If I'm shooting handheld with the adjustable viewfinder on my Technika, I try to leave a little crop space anyway, because the finder isn't absolutely precise.

K. Nicolaisen
16-Dec-2004, 09:48
Donīt worry; it is part of the matrrial. If yoy are ashamed of your number, then crop it out!

Great photographers hire assistants to imprint the negative boarder in their prints, do you

really feel yourself inferior to them? Besides, assistants come at a peice, provided you are

not famous.

Jim Rice
16-Dec-2004, 10:35
I personally think that the numbers would drive me nuts, and would do so to a greater degree with each passing day. But that's just me.

Alan Davenport
16-Dec-2004, 10:50
Is it compleetly absurd to open a 40 yrs + precision mechanism to remove this filmcounter

I must take exception to your characterization of the Grafmatic as a "precision" mechanism! Grafmatics are built like John Deere plows, not Swiss watches! Which, of course, is why they are still going strong 40+ years later and, with care, will be going in another 40+ years.

I haven't felt the need to modify my Grafmatics, but I see no reason not to. Getting rid of the counter needn't involve sawing and filing, just pulling out a piece or two, so the surgery should be reversible. If you're concerned about resale value, you'll want to keep the little bits that you remove, so it can be put back to rights later on.

KenM
16-Dec-2004, 12:56
When I obtained my Grafmatics a year or so go, I removed the numbering wheel by taking the Grafmatic apart. It's not that hard, just keep track of where each piece came from, and more importantly, it's orientation. A friend removed the numbering wheels from his Grafmatics by using a pair of pliers...ouch.

They're great tools - I have 8, and I'll probably get a few more as backups. Having enough film loaded for an entire weekend of shooting (or longer) is a wonderful thing!

Brian Ellis
16-Dec-2004, 13:42
With your camera and a lens of about 150mm or longer you're already going to have to crop a few mms of the negative when you shoot vertically. With a lens of about 150mm or longer the bottom corners of vertical negatives made with Technikas are slightly rounded and you have to crop that end of the negative to get rid of them (unless, of course, you don't mind having two rounded black corners on your vertical prints). The size of the curve is so small as to be immaterial at 150mm or so but when you get up to 210 and especially at 300mm it's very noticeable.

Jim Rice
16-Dec-2004, 14:49
Why is that Brian? While I don't forsee a Technika in my future, I'm trying to picture the mechanism that makes this the case.

Brian Ellis
16-Dec-2004, 15:09
Hi Jim - It's been discussed here before when Bob Salomon participated and I think he explained it then but I don't remember what his explanation was except that it has something to do with the mechanical construction of the camera. I have a Master Technika and a Technika V before that. It's never bothered me, I don't get every last millimeter of the negative in my negative carriers (tradtional or digital) anyhow, but the OP seemed concerned about cropping even a few mms from his negatives so I mentioned it.

tim atherton
17-Dec-2004, 00:30
"Hi Jim - It's been discussed here before when Bob Salomon participated and I think he explained it then but I don't remember what his explanation was except that it has something to do with the mechanical construction of the camera. I have a Master Technika and a Technika V before that. It's never bothered me, I don't get every last millimeter of the negative in my negative carriers (tradtional or digital) anyhow, but the OP seemed concerned about cropping even a few mms from his negatives so I mentioned it."

Wasn't it to do with it being designed as a 9x12 camera and not a 4x5? Not doubt Bob will correct any such misunderstandings, as is his wont

Christopher Nisperos
17-Dec-2004, 15:27
Alan Davenport said, "I must take exception to your characterization of the Grafmatic as a "precision" mechanism! Grafmatics are built like John Deere plows, not Swiss watches!".

I won't, in turn, take exception to Alan, because frankly I know absolutely nothing about the innards of a Grafmatic, although I've used them over the years. However, I'll relate what one of my friends at a Czech photographic company told me years ago when they tried to build their own version of the Grafmatic: they dropped the project because, according to them, it was too mechanically difficult for them to reproduce (and this is no second-rate company when it comes to metallurgy and mechanical engineering).

Granted, this is no indication of whether or not the product would be easy to open, do your deed, and close (anyway .. you've got the repair manual, so you'd probably know better than most of us, I'd guess). But I'd tend to agree with the posters here who advise you to live with it and just crop a little tighter.